PC CRASH during MSFS flight 2 hours in, then again in menus, faint smell

darpitotorpito

Hello everyone

I was enjoying MSFS on my new pc, now MSFS has crashed on me twice but only to desktop. Today my whole pc crashed twice while running MSFS. The only things I did before the crashes that changed anything was download a livery for an airplane (the airplane's paint job) and a scenery pack for the airport I was going to fly out of, however there is no way I believe that crashed it as in the sim it was scenery for Istanbul and when it crashed I was somewhere over Baghdad. The last thing I did was download a 3rd party app that analyzes your flights and landings and stuff, I'll link it below with my specs. The app did require me to download and install some windows files to allow it to work properly (this was half an hour before the initial crash). Finally right after the first crash there was a very very faint burning smell. The second time, I wasn't even using the sim I was just sitting in the menus of the simulator and it crashed again while I was searching up what caused the first crash. This is my first every PC that I built on New Years so I don't know that much about PC's but I suspect the PSU. Anyways my specs are below.

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800X

RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200mhz CL16 (Running at 2133mhz as of now)

Cooler - NZXT Kraken X63 AIO 

MotherBoard - ASUS ROG B550-E GAMING

SSD - WD BLACK 1tb NVME SSD (Boot/MSFS Installed on this drive)

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hard Drive 7200RPM (Games Drive)

GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA (Using 2 8 pin power connectors with 3rd daisy chained)

PSU - Seasonic Focus GX-750W Modular 80+ Gold

Case - Corsair 4000D Airflow

OS - Windows 64 Bit

BIOS - Asus's latest bios for the motherboard

Software Running - MSFS, SimToolKitPro, Discord, Task Manager, NZXT CAM, Chrome

Fan Config -

2 Case Fans Front mounted intakes

2 Top mounted AIO Fans with Rad exhaust

3rd Party App - https://simtoolkitpro.co.uk/download

How are your thermals? Are your drivers for your PC and GPU up to date completely?

Edit: Worse comes to worse, you could always open your task manager and see what all is running and using up resources.

Assuming you didn't buy any second hand parts, the PC should probably be fine hardware wise. Seasonic is known for making some of the best PSU's.

Just now, KhakiHat said:

How are your thermals? Are your drivers for your PC and GPU up to date completely?

Thermals are fine I've never personally seen GPU or CPU ever go above 80 degrees at least in MSFS under some load and in the second I believe the GPU was almost idle as I was just sitting in the menus.

25 minutes ago, darpitotorpito said:

Right after the first crash there was a very very faint burning smell.

Sorry man but... you kept playing ?!?

Was it burned plastic or ozone? Plastic is bad but Ozone is way worse. The first one means a wire, the second means a PCB, a VRM or a chip.

Take the thing apart and smell every parts, bits and pieces and your nose is going to tell you what burned out on you. Then RMA the part. I hope you get a new one before the endtimes.

Also you might want to bump that PSU up to 850. You are past the efficiency curve on the 750 (that is about 400-450 watts) and that means it might run a tad hot.
Also, once you reinstall that PSU, make sure the fan is on if you have an hybrid mode.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

41 minutes ago, darpitotorpito said:

Thermals are fine I've never personally seen GPU or CPU ever go above 80 degrees at least in MSFS under some load and in the second I believe the GPU was almost idle as I was just sitting in the menus.

I personally find that MSFS loads the GPU even just sitting in the menu. First thing I'd check is your daisy chained PSU cable.

14 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

Was it burned plastic or ozone? Plastic is bad but Ozone is way worse. The first one means a wire, the second means a PCB, a VRM or a chip.

Take the thing apart and smell every parts, bits and pieces and your nose is going to tell you what burned out on you. Then RMA the part. I hope you get a new one before the endtimes.

Also you might want to bump that PSU up to 850. You are past the efficiency curve on the 750 (that is about 400-450 watts) and that means it might run a tad hot.
Also, once you reinstall that PSU, make sure the fan is on if you have an hybrid mode.

Eh he should be fine with his 750w PSU, shouldn't cause any issues like this.

1 minute ago, DirectingGnu2 said:

I personally find that MSFS loads the GPU even just sitting in the menu. First thing I'd check is your daisy chained PSU cable.

Eh he should be fine with his 750w PSU, shouldn't cause any issues like this.

He has an FTW that can gobble up to 525 watts by itself. Add 105 wats for the CPU, the AIO pump, at least three fans, the HDD and the RGB and you are awfully close to 80% and Way over the efficiency peak.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

29 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

I didn't think the burning smell was significant, I felt as though it was more the pc getting worn in since its brand new but idk it was very faint and hard to discern exactly what smell it was but there was a smell, to me it smelt like plastic but I maybe wrong, my mom says im noseblind (LOL), I also waited half an hour -45 minutes before I put it under load again 

The only other potential issue I feel like could be the 3rd party add-on I mentioned, to get it running I had to download and install windows files something like NET2 NET3, not sure what it meant but I did it and only after that have I crashed out of MSFS, never before.

39 minutes ago, darpitotorpito said:

would an undervolt help perhaps?

Try setting the gpu power to 80% inf afterburner and see if it crashes.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD