Temporary "disable" drives without removing them (M.2)

Mihle

Lets say I want to boot off an USB drive with another OS to more securely look at an HDD or other storage I dont know the contents of.

Is it any way to temporary disable an M.2 drive in such a way that the OS on the USB drive and whatever is on the HDD cant access it, without physically taking it out, and without any issues when I enable it again (OS drive)?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I can 100% confirm this is not possible with an Asus BIOS and I also really wish it was a thing, there are times when I don't want Arch to touch my Windows install.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

43 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I can 100% confirm this is not possible with an Asus BIOS and I also really wish it was a thing, there are times when I don't want Arch to touch my Windows install.

I have MSI B450M Mortar Max

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

Or should I just boot from another OS from and USB drive and not bother with disabling it?

-Stephen Hawking