Is there a Windows 10 software based "NAS" option ?

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if there is anything out there that could allow me to just access my files over the internet without having to build a dedicated NAS unit.

It would be for accessing, music, movies and files, ideally like Dropbox.

I'd like to be able to add files to said server with my smlartphone as well and maybe even backup picture from my phone as well.

I haven't found anything yet.

Anything helps !

Cheers,

MP

On 1/10/2021 at 2:23 PM, Mouse-Potato said:

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if there is anything out there that could allow me to just access my files over the internet without having to build a dedicated NAS unit.

I'd like to be able to add files to said server with my smlartphone as well and maybe even backup picture from my phone as well.

Anything helps !

Cheers,

MP

Well if you don't wanna build you will have to buy online storage with cloud services like dropbox that you already meantioned

On 1/10/2021 at 1:23 PM, Mouse-Potato said:

Hi all,

Anything helps !

Cheers,

MP

You CAN use the built-in SMB + VPN with OpenDNS (this should maybe work very well) but it's not that safe like gdrive or dropbox. But if the shared files are not that sensitive, then you can give it a try. 

Like mentioned, run a VM with Nextcloud or Owncloud from a VM.

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD