Black level smearing advice on VA ultrawides

Elle1217

Hi, I need some advice from someone with personal experience when it comes to this.

So I have had high refresh rate TN and IPS panels and I know all the differences on paper between ips,va and tn but my question here is how experience breaking dark level smearing is. I was thinking of buying one of these monitors:

AOC 34 CU34G2X, Gigabyte 34 G34WQC or Xiaomi Mi Curved 34

But I don't have hands-on experience with the amount of dark level smearing that these kinds of panels have (I know that some VA’s like Samsung g7 and g9 have special overdrive that almost eliminates dark level smearing) So I would appreciate some advice from people who own these displays to tell me if they are worth getting.

I'm located in the Swedish market so keep in mind that not all  34 inch 21:9 displays on the market are available for me.

Thanks in advance😄.

The traditional smearing of moving objects isnt the biggest and most obvious issue.

Its the flickering like effect u get when u view an object, like a bush, that has a brighter color, like green, surrounded by a darker color, like a rock in the background or the outline caused by art style or SSAO.

When the object moves on the screen (when u move the camera) the bush will appear to get darker when ever it is in motion.So when u move the camera it will get darker, when u stop it will go back to normal, this can appear like a flicker.

This wont be limited to just the bush, anything on the screen that is a shade lighter than the darker surrounding will become darker in motion as the surrounding pixels transition from dark to a slightly lighter color in a slow manner.

Examples.

Spoiler

The slower darker pixel transition speeds are the more pronounced this effect is. This is why pixel response speed tests done by competent reviewers are so important, especially with VA panels.

The fastest VA panel available is the Samsung Odyssey G7, no other VA panel tested so far comes close.

Overdrive on any display helps, but the higher the overdrive setting the more likely you'll see brighter artifacts trailing objects, which does the opposite of traditional ghosting. Its called 'overshoot', which results in a bright ghosting trail instead of a dark one.

Example.

Spoiler

As u can tell by the titles of the videos, these 'effects' are often misdiagnosed and called a variety of different things by mistake.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Thank you very mouch for the answer and imbeded videos, I now know how it looks. Do you  by any chanse have any experience with the menstiond displays?. I know thanks to hardware unboxed that the gigbyte one has the least smearing but I dont know if its good per say.

23 minutes ago, Elle1217 said:

Thank you very mouch for the answer and imbeded videos, I now know how it looks. Do you  by any chanse have any experience with the menstiond displays?. I know thanks to hardware unboxed that the gigbyte one has the least smearing but I dont know if its good per say.

No personal experience.

If u read through my pinned thread u can check out the reviewers mentioned there to see whats available.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |