Icegiant Prosiphon Elite

Falkentyne

Mine just shipped and will arrive tomorrow!

I will be able to see if it's better or worse than an Eisbaer Extreme 280 AIO (even though I have two Noctua industrial 3000 RPM fans on that Eisbaer).

Some people should be getting their units very soon so check your emails if you were on their list.

Ok so I got my Icegiant Prosiphon Elite.

All I can say is, I'm not impressed.  I was actually going to do an unboxing picture scene but it's not even worth it.

It's 19C worse than my Eisbaer Extreme 280 AIO (AIO using Noctua 140mm 3000 RPM Industrial fans, and pump at max speed).

Much worse than the Noctua NH-D15 with the same 3000 RPM fans.  That's all I can say.

I did not try using my spare 120mm Noctua industrial fans though.

Maybe it's good for Threadripper or HEDT, but normal desktop users...nope.

The T-shirt is nice though.  And it was very well packaged.

Also comes with 4 Arctic fans.

What cpu did you use it on?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

26 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What cpu did you use it on?

I can't disclose that information.  Sorry.  NDA.

But it was not on my 10900k, which I have my liquid freezer II on.  Didn't feel like disassembling that.  What I will say is it's an upcoming platform.

Well at least we know its an engineering sample, probably an Intel :D

Bummer about the cooler. I saw the Linus video on it, seems like it would be good for big CPU's. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

Well at least we know its an engineering sample, probably an Intel :D

Bummer about the cooler. I saw the Linus video on it, seems like it would be good for big CPU's. 

I had high hopes for it.  But my NH-D15 beats it.  Although it's only a little worse.  But I bet my TRUE 120 probably would beat it.  But the NH-D15 is 5000x easier to mount.  Literally the easiest thing to mount ever.  Just hold the bracket in, apply the two crossbars then screw it down.  Only takes 2 hands instead of having to grow a hand out of your stomach.

The Eisbaer Extreme 280 AIO requires 3 hands if you don't tape the backplate to the motherboard, unless you're using it open bench.  And I can't tape it since I need to remove the backplate sometimes...

I just don't understand how it can cool a 28 core CPU and not an upcoming CPU....I guess it actually needs the surface area those giant dies have?

I wanted the Icegiant as a backup if my Liquid Freezer II 360 broke (in my 10900k system).  Guess the D15 is still the backup (I can't be bothered to deal with mounting the Eisbaer in an actual case...)

16 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

I just don't understand how it can cool a 28 core CPU and not an upcoming CPU....I guess it actually needs the surface area those giant dies have?

More surface area improves cooling. It's why heatsinks and rads work. 

A dense heat source like Intel's monolithic die is harder to cool and a convex heatsink base that flattens onto that die can provide better contact (surface area) for cooling. I'm guessing the ProSiphon Elite doesn't rely on that. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:24 AM, Falkentyne said:

I guess these kind of coolers have an optimal TDP range at which they are most efficient, and it is not a low one. This thing is designed to cool something at 300W+, so I would not be surprised if it is actually hotter when cooling a low TDP processor than when cooling an overclocked 28 core monster. The boiling simply doesn't work well enough at those low heat loads (see attached, thermal resistance can get 2-3 times higher -> 2-3 times higher temperature rise)

Compare thermal resistance of loop thermosyphon 

• 3 months later...