Grandpa kicked pc now internet problems

ARXN
Go to solution Solved by ARXN,

Ok, guys. It might be fixed. I turned off lan from the bios settings like someone said and now I just completed a full game of warzone. Still gets few stutters every now and then but that might just be because of my slow wifi card. I basically can't use lan on this computer. Would need a new motherboard. Thanks for all the ideas the help. 

Hello,

So basically I came back from work and noticed that all the small wires like the front panel connectors and the USB cables and fan cables were disconnected. I noticed because when I pressed the power button it didnt turn on. Turns out my grandpa kicked my pc on accident.

Anyways, I reconnected all the cables and my pc boots completely normally. No issues. The only problem is that when I play games. Mainly warzone. I lose internet connection after maybe 5 to 15 mins of gaming. When I lose connection my internet doesn't seem to turn off. It just loses it for a split second. 

I have tried wifi and lan. I have tried updating bios. I have tried reseating everything(wifi card, GPU, ram)  I have moved warzone from my hdd to my ssd incase it was my harddrive that was causing the problem. I have updated all my drivers. I have reinstalled windows. At this point i think it's my motherboard. But I don't know. I originally thought it was my wifi card but I dont think it is because I tried using a lan cable and it's still the same problem. 

Please help. Thanks.

My pc specs. 

Ryzen 7 2700x

Asus rog strix x470 f gaming motherboard

2 x 8gb gskill 3200mhz ram

Next x52 aio

Msi armour 2070 oc

Samsung 500gb ssd

Seagate barracuda 4tb hdd

Evga 750w gold powersupply

Tplink ac1300 wifi card

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being a router issue, unless your PC is the only device in your house that has these problems.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 minutes ago, ARXN said:

all the small wires like the front panel connectors and the USB cables and fan cables were disconnected.  [...]
Turns out my grandpa kicked my pc on accident.

I'm sorry what?

This doesn't just happen from getting "kicked". These cables are not so loose that the slightest movement of the case will result in them getting disconnected.

Something more is going on here and someone is not telling you the whole truth.

Likely a modem/router issue if it happens wired and wireless, did he "kick" that too?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The internet works completely fine on everything else. 

Apparently he kicked it at night. My pc is placed on the floor. 

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being a router issue, unless your PC is the only device in your house that has these problems.

It's only my pc having these problems. My brother has a pc aswell and his is completely fine. 

Did your grandpa "march" while raising one of his feet??? I'm surprised your grandpa didn't score the goal on that one!

All jokes aside, if you have tried reinstalling your network drivers and are still experiencing internet issues, I'd suspect your motherboard is at fault and when it fell over, possibly the graphics card pulled in a way that could have broken a trace in the motherboard internally. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, ARXN said:

It's only my pc having these problems. My brother has a pc aswell and his is completely fine. 

You could try reinstall the game and/or Windows

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

possibly the graphics card pulled in a way that could have broken a trace in the motherboard internally. 

If it works for 15 minutes, sounds more like a software issue than a hardware issue

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

2 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

If it works for 15 minutes, sounds more like a software issue than a hardware issue

I have reinstalled windows. Reinstalled all drivers. Reinstalled the game in my hdd and ssd incase it was my storage that was broken. Still nothing. My brother plays on wifi and gets no problems. I lag out when in playing with a lan cable. 

2 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

Well, we knew the system was working before the "incident", then after the "incident", we are experiencing issues. The only thing that would be affecting his network connection are the network drivers. As such, if those are installed correctly and it's still not fixing it even after a whole reinstall of Windows, then I'd suspect its a hardware issue. 

1 minute ago, ARXN said:

I have reinstalled windows. Reinstalled all drivers. Reinstalled the game in my hdd and ssd incase it was my storage that was broken. Still nothing. My brother plays on wifi and gets no problems. I lag out when in playing with a lan cable. 

13 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

This doesn't just happen from getting "kicked". These cables are not so loose that the slightest movement of the case will result in them getting disconnected.

Something more is going on here and someone is not telling you the whole truth.

So basically I came back from work and noticed that all the small wires like the front panel connectors and the USB cables and fan cables were disconnected.

Something is not adding up here and I agree with @TetraSky. Those front panel wires would never "fall out" after having the PC getting "kicked". 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Well, we knew the system was working before the "incident", then after the "incident", we are experiencing issues. The only thing that would be affecting his network connection are the network drivers. As such, if those are installed correctly and it's still not fixing it even after a whole reinstall of Windows, then I'd suspect its a hardware issue. 

Something is not adding up here and I agree with @TetraSky. Those front panel wires would never "fall out" after having the PC getting "kicked". 

Yeah I used to play in wofo and had no problems before the incident. Now even with ethernet I get problems. All the drivers are fully installed

Later today I'm going to rewire the entire pc just incase I wired something wrong. But I dont know how a front panel wire would effect the internet connection

1 minute ago, ARXN said:

Later today I'm going to rewire the entire pc just incase I wired something wrong. But I dont know how a front panel wire would effect the internet connection

It doesn't.

If the internet drops for no reason after getting "kicked" (was it REALLY just "kicked" ? Did the PC fall over ?), something likely broke. Could be the RAM, could be the motherboard. Because software issues like this don't just show up by themselves overnight without notice, especially not after the computer was physically assaulted

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

It doesn't.

If the internet drops for no reason after getting "kicked" (was it REALLY just "kicked" ? Did the PC fall over ?), something likely broke. Could be the RAM, could be the motherboard. Because software issues like this don't just show up by themselves overnight without notice, especially not after the computer was physically assaulted

Yeah my grandpa said the him and the pc both fell over. Is there a way to test if the ram properly works. I did take them both out and out them back in properly.  

Someone may have already said this... check all the hardware is correctly mounted. For example "twinkle toes" might have partially knocked the wifi card out of it's slot.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

6 minutes ago, ARXN said:

Is there a way to test if the ram properly works. I did take them both out and out them back in properly.  

Use the program called memtest86. Its free and tests the RAM.

Note: You may need a thumb drive as it boots off of the thumb drive with memtest86 on the thumb drive (memtest86 has its on OS). 

10 minutes ago, ARXN said:

Is there a way to test if the ram properly works

Run memtest for X number of hours (overnight and the next day while you're at work, at least 12+ hours, more if you have more RAM)

Also, just as a test, if you can, get any flavor of Linux (Mint, or Ubuntu for example), put it on a bootable flash drive (with Rufus) and boot onto it in Live mode. This lets you use Linux without installing it (runs on a temporary RAM disk).

See if the ethernet drops on there as well. Who knows, if windows is installed on a hard drive, maybe it got corrupted by falling.

3 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Someone may have already said this... check all the hardware is correctly mounted. For example "twinkle toes" might have partially knocked the wifi card out of it's slot.

Yeah I've redeatrd everything already. The GPU ram wificard

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Run memtest for X number of hours.

Also, just as a test, if you can, get Linux, put it on a bootable flash drive (with Rufus) and boot onto it in Live mode. This lets you use Linux without installing it (runs on a temporary RAM disk).

See if the ethernet drops on there as well. Who knows, if windows is installed on a hard drive, maybe it got corrupted by falling.

Would I be able to test games. It only kicks me out of games because I think it loses connection for a micro second. When I watch YouTube I never notice it. 

Also I reinstalled windows so could it still be corrupted. I reinstalled it from settings. Not using a USB. 

3 minutes ago, ARXN said:

Would I be able to test games. It only kicks me out of games because I think it loses connection for a micro second. When I watch YouTube I never notice it. 

Ah, probably not, you'd need to do a complete install and run them with Wine or something... Not sure if you can do so with the Live version. Maybe some online game on itch.io.

So you're saying this only happens while playing games? It doesn't show any sign of dropping just by using the computer itself? Wow that's... Actually weird. Have you tried downloading a very large file (5+GB) and see if the download just stops at one point or another?

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Ah, probably not, you'd need to do a complete install and run them with Wine or something... Not sure if you can do so with the Live version. Maybe some online game on itch.io.

So you're saying this only happens while playing games? It doesn't show any sign of dropping just by using the computer itself? Wow that's... Actually weird. Have you tried downloading a very large file (5+GB) and see if the download just stops at one point or another?

When I reinstalled warzone I noticed that the speed would vary alot more. Normally I'm at a steady 5 or 6 mbps but it would sometimes go down to 500kbps for a minute then jump back up. 

Maybe the cheapest solution is get a USB internet adapter? They are cheap....

This sounds like a troubleshooting nightmare. If it only happens when gaiming then something very strange is going on.

4 minutes ago, Exidor said:

Maybe the cheapest solution is get a USB internet adapter? They are cheap....

This sounds like a troubleshooting nightmare. If it only happens when gaiming then something very strange is going on.

The only reason I haven't bought a different wifi adapter is because this problem still happens with a lan cable plugged in. I've been trying to solve this for a week and then I just gave up. Have no idea what to try next. 

4 minutes ago, ARXN said:

The only reason I haven't bought a different wifi adapter is because this problem still happens with a lan cable plugged in. I've been trying to solve this for a week and then I just gave up. Have no idea what to try next. 

Get a USB lan dongle?

Should bypass everything on the mobo except the usb controller and or chipset and traces.

To avoid glitches I would disable the mobo networking in BIOS.

And if that fails then I would start looking into a new mobo.....