Dead PSU? Dead GPU? Dead MoBo?????? I NEED HELP

bigwilyd
Go to solution Solved by bigwilyd,
23 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Well the maximum wattage a PCIe slot can provide is 75W. Ooops, my bad for not seeing it was an ITX motherboard. If you know the graphics card works in another system without any issues with both 8+6 power cables plugged in, then your motherboard may be at fault.

I tested it in a friends system and it made his system behave the same way mine did. So I believe that either the gpu died randomly, or using it with a motherboard and cpu that are not compatible fried it. 

But this leads to another question.... since im pretty sure my GPU is fried, shouuld I try the oven bake method for the hell of it? I knew it was a thing back in the day. 

I appreciate all your help in advance.

Spec list: 

EVGA 650gm sfx PSU

GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX mobo

EVGA GTX 980TI SC

RYZEN 5 3600

2x16 G.SKILL aegis 

So, I first put together my PC with a ryzen 5 1600 inside (I had thought I bought a b450, very dumb mistake IK) and it posted just fine. I installed windows and some games, but about 5 mins after launching my first game, the pc crashed.

Then, it would not turn on unless the 8+6 pin GPU was unplugged. (no display, just system on). At some point in trying to get my system to work, it stopped turning on all together. Because I'm a dumbass, I thought it was the PSU, so I exchanged it for a different one. When I had the same issue, I finally realized I had an incompatible CPU in my MOBO. So I then order a ryzen 5 3600 to put in my pc, and its back to the original issue:

My PC only turns on when:

1, only the 6 pin power connecter is plugged in to the GPU

2, no PSU cables are plugged in

And when it does turn on, the display reads: PLEASE POWER DOWN AND CONNECT THE PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD

When everything is plugged in properly, the system will not power on at all, but I do hear some power move through the system during these failed boots.

At this point I think its either a Dead gpu or I f****d my mobo by running a 1600 in it. Please help

I can’t really help with this one, but it posted? Interesting...

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

1 minute ago, TheCoder2019 said:

I can’t really help with this one, but it posted? Interesting...

Yep, which is why it took me extra long to find out they were incompatible. I think its kinda funny, but not if it fried my system.

Did you try to operate the computer without plugging in the PCIe power cables that go to the graphics card?? Have you tried using another PCIe slot instead of the current slot your graphics card is in? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Did you try to operate the computer without plugging in the PCIe power cables that go to the graphics card?? Have you tried using another PCIe slot instead of the current slot your graphics card is in? 

1. Yes, I did try to start it without the PCIe cables in after I tried starting it with them in.

2. My MoBo only has 1 PCIe slot because it is a mini - ITX

2 minutes ago, bigwilyd said:

1. Yes, I did try to start it without the PCIe cables in after I tried starting it with them in.

2. My MoBo only has 1 PCIe slot because it is a mini - ITX

Well the maximum wattage a PCIe slot can provide is 75W. Ooops, my bad for not seeing it was an ITX motherboard. If you know the graphics card works in another system without any issues with both 8+6 power cables plugged in, then your motherboard may be at fault.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

23 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

I tested it in a friends system and it made his system behave the same way mine did. So I believe that either the gpu died randomly, or using it with a motherboard and cpu that are not compatible fried it. 

But this leads to another question.... since im pretty sure my GPU is fried, shouuld I try the oven bake method for the hell of it? I knew it was a thing back in the day. 

1 hour ago, bigwilyd said:

Wow that sucks that your graphics card died. If you want, you can try to oven bake your graphics card to see if it will come back to life. The only thing is to do this in an oven that will not be used for cooking food. Some of the toxic metals (especially lead) can linger inside the oven which cannot be removed. At most, use a cheap toaster oven that you won't be cooking food in.