What are some good places to start learning Java from?

Henry

I am currently watching thenewboston's beginner java tutorials playlist (but it is Java 6) and might get some books soon.

You guys know any good books or tutorials? I've been looking at the sources listed in the sticky in this board.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

codeacademy.com

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

This is how I started... :D

1411178.jpg

Really? O.o

Really? O.o

Yup, was in B&N, saw the book and started reading. It's always good to have more than one point of view on how to code things, gives you different perspectives on what may or may not work.

I found this:

http://javarevisited.blogspot.com/2013/01/top-5-java-programming-books-best-good.html

but I've been told by teachers that Deitel's book is probably the go-to Java book.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Try the free 1 week trial at Lynda.com, just make sure you have the time in the week, then you can bang through a lot of info. I am waiting for a week to open up so I can do PHP/Web stuff. Then I am on to Java, want to write a small android app this fall.

Much info 

In general most functions still exist (for backwards compatibility).  The only thing is you might miss some new stuff that you could do (e.g. hardware acceleration).  The other things you might miss is newer classes (ie better ways to implement things)....this is speaking from experience...I learned java roughly 6 years ago now, and I just started doing java again for Android and it is still the same :P

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

You guys know any good books or tutorials? I've been looking at the sources listed in the sticky in this board.

What's wrong with the OFFICIAL Oracle Java documentation?

What's wrong with the OFFICIAL Oracle Java documentation?

Documentation doesn't teach anything. You have to know something exists and it's name to look it up in the docs.

That said, Java docs are awesome and you should get used to looking at them all the time.

Documentation doesn't teach anything. You have to know something exists and it's name to look it up in the docs.

That said, Java docs are awesome and you should get used to looking at them all the time.

Sorry, I meant the tutorials that are on oracle's pages.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/

thank you! Got any more sources for Java learning?

Not unless you count my uni teachers!

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this program called "Alice" Here and there's a book called "Learning Java through Alice" that was written by one of my college professors. It is a really good book and had me writting and understanding Java code within the first lesson. You can get it for less than $15 on Amazon. Alice is an amazing tool and uses the "Sims 2" resources so you can visually see your Java programming in action and best of all it's free and was developed for beginners.

"Do not pray for and easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."

"A place where everything and nothing exists, this is my playground."

+1 for official Java tutorials. Those are amazingly detailed. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Thanks guys!

experimentation is the best way. think of what you want to do, google it. try to find a simple tutorial that will do it. look at the code, write it yourself. dont copy and paste. then play with it until it breaks. or if its already broken, then fix it yourself.

Video tutorials, and lots of practice. I mean lots of practice. Enjoy it! Java is an awesome language!

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

If you want a great book, Introduction to Java Programming: Comprehensive Version.

Pretty standard at universities, so it's expensive. I'd look for a used version of a previous edition (8th or 9th).

Of the few books I kept from college, it was one of em (5th edition). It served me well from 100 to 400 level courses.

main(i){for(;i<101;i++)printf("Fizz\n\0Fizzz\bBuzz\n\0%d\n"+(!(i%5)^!!(i%3)*3)*6,i);}