3090 FE instability in light workloads

Coptician

Hey everyone,

I have had a 3090 FE for a couple months now, and it's been crashing during specifically low loads sometimes. For instance, I can play Cyberpunk for multiple hours straight with zero issue, but Magic the Gathering Online (which isn't even a Unity game unlike Magic Arena) or Among Us causes the Nvidia drivers to crash and restart once in a few hours. This causes a black screen for about 10 seconds, all graphical applications to crash, and Windows Event Viewer to log the crash. I have also had a few hard resets, but they've been very rare compared to Nvidia driver crashes.

I've swapped power supplies (I have a Seasonic GX-850 sitting around for a friend), which made no difference. I've also swapped PCI-E slots. I'm currently running my old 1070 and trying to figure out if it crashes with that one too. (if it does, I know the drivers, the motherboard, or Windows is to blame, but it's highly unlikely).

Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this? I'm a little wary to RMA the card because it's super hard to reproduce (taking hours with a very specific low load) and the card is super rare. I bought it from Nvidia NL.

Specs:

8700K (stock)

Asus Z390-A Prime

16GB 300Mhz Corsair RAM

Phanteks 1200W PSU (or Seasonic 850W)

A few SSD's (boot drive is a very new 980 Pro)

Try uninstalling the drivers using DDU and reinstalling the latest version.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

1 hour ago, Coptician said:

Hey everyone,

I have had a 3090 FE for a couple months now, and it's been crashing during specifically low loads sometimes. For instance, I can play Cyberpunk for multiple hours straight with zero issue, but Magic the Gathering Online (which isn't even a Unity game unlike Magic Arena) or Among Us causes the Nvidia drivers to crash and restart once in a few hours. This causes a black screen for about 10 seconds, all graphical applications to crash, and Windows Event Viewer to log the crash. I have also had a few hard resets, but they've been very rare compared to Nvidia driver crashes.

I've swapped power supplies (I have a Seasonic GX-850 sitting around for a friend), which made no difference. I've also swapped PCI-E slots. I'm currently running my old 1070 and trying to figure out if it crashes with that one too. (if it does, I know the drivers, the motherboard, or Windows is to blame, but it's highly unlikely).

Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this? I'm a little wary to RMA the card because it's super hard to reproduce (taking hours with a very specific low load) and the card is super rare. I bought it from Nvidia NL.

Specs:

8700K (stock)

Asus Z390-A Prime

16GB 300Mhz Corsair RAM

Phanteks 1200W PSU (or Seasonic 850W)

A few SSD's (boot drive is a very new 980 Pro)

Uninstall the newest (or whatever you're using) Nvidia drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in windows safe mode.

Install the 456.98 hotfix driver, or the 457.44 Vulkan beta driver (or if you really must, the 457.51 game ready driver).  Stay far, far away from the newest drivers.  And I mean ANY of the 460.xx drivers.  

These crashes you have been getting are the exact same crashes that have *destroyed* eVGA cards with the "red light of death", usually preceded by something "popping" out loud by the PCIE plug, followed by a red LED next to the plug and a completely dead card.