Trying to update BIOS

parker13
11 hours ago, Husky said:

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I can't say for sure whether it is the CPU or not. If both boards have been updated to the latest BIOS and they both don't boot with the new CPU then that usually means that the CPU is the problem.

I returned it. I'm honestly scared to even buy a new cpu now.

4 hours ago, parker13 said:

I returned it. I'm honestly scared to even buy a new cpu now.

Are there any PC shops around that you could take your board to and have them test if a new generation CPU works in it?

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

8 hours ago, Husky said:

Are there any PC shops around that you could take your board to and have them test if a new generation CPU works in it?

I don't think so but I'll ask while I'm at work today. I work in a electronics department with a whole bunch of other computer nerds so

17 hours ago, Husky said:

He suggested that maybe I need a newer motherboard, does that sound right or does that not matter

On 1/9/2021 at 6:05 AM, parker13 said:

He suggested that maybe I need a newer motherboard, does that sound right or does that not matter

That doesn't sound right, your board is an X570 board, right? The Ryzen 3700X is supported from the first BIOS version. This whole thing is confusing me since it should just work.

So basically we have:

- ASUS X570 board that works with a Ryzen 2000 series CPU

- That same ASUS X570 board does not work with a Ryzen 3000 series CPU

- You exchanged the CPU for another and it still didn't work

Correct? Even after updating the BIOS to the latest version it still doesn't work?

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

9 hours ago, Husky said:

That doesn't sound right, your board is an X570 board, right? The Ryzen 3700X is supported from the first BIOS version. This whole thing is confusing me since it should just work.

So basically we have:

- ASUS X570 board that works with a Ryzen 2000 series CPU

- That same ASUS X570 board does not work with a Ryzen 3000 series CPU

- You exchanged the CPU for another and it still didn't work

Correct? Even after updating the BIOS to the latest version it still doesn't work?

Dude... I just looked on the box. It's a VII Hero. It's a X470. I have no idea if this makes a difference but oh my LORD how did I miss that, I am so sorryyyyyyy

Update: I just checked the page for the motherboard and it says it's still supported but maybe I need to update it again since it was for the VIII. I am slightly confused as to how it took the update if it wasn't the right board but I'm going to do that. Jeeeez I feel so stupid 

18 hours ago, parker13 said:

Dude... I just looked on the box. It's a VII Hero. It's a X470. I have no idea if this makes a difference but oh my LORD how did I miss that, I am so sorryyyyyyy

Update: I just checked the page for the motherboard and it says it's still supported but maybe I need to update it again since it was for the VIII. I am slightly confused as to how it took the update if it wasn't the right board but I'm going to do that. Jeeeez I feel so stupid 

Oooohhhhh HAHA yeah that makes a LOT more sense now.

Don't worry, we all have our moments. It's okay.

Just go to ASUS's support site for that board (the VII Hero X470 just making sure lol) and download the latest BIOS for that board and put it on a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Put the old 2000 series CPU in and update the BIOS, then swap the new 3000 series CPU in and everything should work perfectly.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

11 hours ago, Husky said:

Oooohhhhh HAHA yeah that makes a LOT more sense now.

Don't worry, we all have our moments. It's okay.

Just go to ASUS's support site for that board (the VII Hero X470 just making sure lol) and download the latest BIOS for that board and put it on a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Put the old 2000 series CPU in and update the BIOS, then swap the new 3000 series CPU in and everything should work perfectly.

OKAYY I WILLL, omg how did I- I can't stop laughing lmfaooo. Thank you soo much, I'm gonna order a new one rn.