Trying to update BIOS

parker13

I'm trying to update my BIOS as I believe that's why my new Ryzen 7 CPU isn't going into boot. I've done everything, EZ, flashback, FreeDOS (idk that one was confusing). I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions would be lovely. Also they haven't worked because EZ says that all my bios files are not proper. Then flashback never evens happens. I click the button, it flashes 3 times, goes solid but never turns off. Then FreeDOS? I barely even know what that was, someone just suggested booting off the USB. Please help :(((

Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Specs

motherboard- ROG Crosshairs VIII Hero

OLD CPU -ryzen 5 2600

NEW CPU- ryzen 7 3700x

GPU - gtx 1080

RAM- 16 gb 3200 MHz Corsair vengeance pro (2x8)

PSU - evga 750gq 80 plus gold

16 minutes ago, parker13 said:

motherboard- ROG Crosshairs VIII Hero

OLD CPU -ryzen 5 2600

NEW CPU- ryzen 7 3700x

GPU - gtx 1080

RAM- 16 gb 3200 MHz Corsair vengeance pro (2x8)

PSU - evga 750gq 80 plus gold

Rename bios to C8H and format USB to fat32 before flashing bios.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Rename bios to C8H and format USB to fat32 before flashing bios.

I did that

Just now, parker13 said:

I did that

Alright do it again then, did you use the correct usb port? Check PSU cables to mb + gpu. Remove all USB's. Make sure PC is off, but PSU on when flashing.

FS in Denmark/EU:

6 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Alright do it again then, did you use the correct usb port? Check PSU cables to mb + gpu. Remove all USB's. Make sure PC is off, but PSU on when flashing.

I just tried again and now it’s flashing and not stopping. What should I do now

2 minutes ago, parker13 said:

I just tried again and now it’s flashing and not stopping. What should I do now

Maybe try removing everything leaving only power and then flashing. (you don't need the CPU to be installed)

Also flashing the board shouldn't be nessary in order to get that CPU working, because it's supported right from the start on X570.

So I suspect something else to be bad. Check seating of every component and then try again. Consider trying above method for flashing. Make sure you use ram slot A2 + B2

FS in Denmark/EU:

Maybe try removing everything leaving only power and then flashing. (you don't need the CPU to be installed)

Also flashing the board shouldn't be nessary in order to get that CPU working, because it's supported right from the start on X570.

So I suspect something else to be bad. Check seating of every component and then try again. Consider trying above method for flashing. Make sure you use ram slot A2 + B2

Okay I will. Everything is working with the other CPU in so I’m not sure why as soon as I change the cpu to the new one, it gives me an error code. 07.

Any lights in?

image.png.e5effaad0983406bfd887912263510f1.png

FS in Denmark/EU:

Ok try swapping CPU and updating bios. Check if it can boot with old cpu before changing to 3700x again

FS in Denmark/EU:

7 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Ok try swapping CPU and updating bios. Check if it can boot with old cpu before changing to 3700x again

It can boot with the old cpu, I put in the 3700x just for fun and it gave me error code 9A. Couldn’t get past that. Now I’m trying to update with old cpu but it stays flashing.

Just now, parker13 said:

It can boot with the old cpu, I put in the 3700x just for fun and it gave me error code 9A. Couldn’t get past that. Now I’m trying to update with old cpu but it stays flashing.

It will flash a couble of minuts

FS in Denmark/EU:

It will flash a couble of minuts

How should I know when it’s done

8 minutes ago, parker13 said:

How should I know when it’s done

It will stop flashing when done

FS in Denmark/EU:

9 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

It will stop flashing when done

It worked, now when I put in the new cpu it still says 9A.

3 minutes ago, parker13 said:

did you remove all usbs?

FS in Denmark/EU:

2 minutes ago, parker13 said:

Do you have a way to test that new CPU in a different board such as a friend's board or by taking it to a computer store? It may be an issue with your new CPU, it is highly unlikely that CPUs are dead but it is still a possibility.

I would also reset my UEFI firmware settings (clear CMOS). You can do this with the old CPU in, just enter the UEFI firmware settings menu (Del on boot) and click the Exit tab, then click Load Optimized Defaults. Then click Save and Exit - the motherboard may power-cycle a few times before booting again. Then switch it off with the PSU switch at the back install the new CPU and see if it boots.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

5 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

did you remove all usbs?

I did

5 hours ago, Husky said:

Do you have a way to test that new CPU in a different board such as a friend's board or by taking it to a computer store? It may be an issue with your new CPU, it is highly unlikely that CPUs are dead but it is still a possibility.

I would also reset my UEFI firmware settings (clear CMOS). You can do this with the old CPU in, just enter the UEFI firmware settings menu (Del on boot) and click the Exit tab, then click Load Optimized Defaults. Then click Save and Exit - the motherboard may power-cycle a few times before booting again. Then switch it off with the PSU switch at the back install the new CPU and see if it boots.

It’s not a dead cpu because I returned another one that was doing the same thing. I have a couple of motherboards lyin around for AMD so I’ll give that a try when I get home. Thank you

19 hours ago, Husky said:

I did both of those, it didn’t boot on the other motherboard either. I reset the cmos using the button on my motherboard anddd doing your steps. It didn’t work either. Still getting error code 9A.

8 hours ago, parker13 said:

I did both of those, it didn’t boot on the other motherboard either. I reset the cmos using the button on my motherboard anddd doing your steps. It didn’t work either. Still getting error code 9A.

That is a very strange issue. I am starting to suspect that some other component is incompatible, such as your RAM or something. Have you tried using different RAM or a different graphics card? Or maybe just a single stick of RAM?

You said that it can't be the CPU that's dead because you already returned one that was also dead, but I am starting to suspect that it is the CPU and if it doesn't POST in multiple motherboards with different RAM, then I highly suspect that it's the CPU.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

3 hours ago, Husky said:

That is a very strange issue. I am starting to suspect that some other component is incompatible, such as your RAM or something. Have you tried using different RAM or a different graphics card? Or maybe just a single stick of RAM?

You said that it can't be the CPU that's dead because you already returned one that was also dead, but I am starting to suspect that it is the CPU and if it doesn't POST in multiple motherboards with different RAM, then I highly suspect that it's the CPU.

But how is it the cpu if the same thing was happening with the other one. Does Best Buy just have dead cpus :( man this was so expensive and they probably won’t take this back now that I’ve returned it once

2 hours ago, parker13 said:

But how is it the cpu if the same thing was happening with the other one. Does Best Buy just have dead cpus :( man this was so expensive and they probably won’t take this back now that I’ve returned it once

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I can't say for sure whether it is the CPU or not. If both boards have been updated to the latest BIOS and they both don't boot with the new CPU then that usually means that the CPU is the problem.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation: