RTX 3090 ISSUES

<removed by staff> 

I just recently bought a $6,000 Pre-built PC. Yes I chose not to build one myself but that's besides the point. The biggest issue I have had is My display will just go black and lose signal from my RTX 3090 GPU. It'll happen right in the middle of gaming and no its not thermal throttling. It's been monitored. I don't know what the deal is. My computer spec's are below.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090
SSD: Patriot P300 1TB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 6TB (2017)
RAM: Adata DDR4 3200 2OZ 4x16GB
MBD: Asrock X299 Steel Legend  

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

DDU + reinstall drivers?
Bench test it?

New cable?
Monitor?
What have you done to trouble shoot?

<removed by staff>

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

Welcome to the community!

Since this is a Prebuilt, there's a chance that it's got an older driver that might be causing this issue (the release drivers for 3080s/90s had crash and black screen issues).

So the first thing I'd look at is that. Try to update the GPU driver to the latest version.

If that doesn't fix it, we might need to look at the Power Supply model that's in the prebuilt, to see if it's apt to handle the power draw of the 3090. You'd think it is, but the 3090 can have big spikes in power draw that trip a PSU's protection circuits. I don't think it's as likely that this is the issue though.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

DDU + reinstall drivers?
Bench test it?

New cable?
Monitor?
What have you done to trouble shoot?

Im having similar issues myself but with a 2080 TI. I was told their were some problems with the current drivers causing issues like this so I am trying to use slightly older drivers, from about mid november. Will tell you if it works.

29 minutes ago, TheZmajCap said:

Im having similar issues myself but with a 2080 TI. I was told their were some problems with the current drivers causing issues like this so I am trying to use slightly older drivers, from about mid november. Will tell you if it works.

I have already tried by myself and with the factory tech as well. we did driver installs and uninstalls, we did bench marking we did different cables, different monitors, the end result was always the same unfortunately. we even went as far as removing the battery on the motherboard and resetting the bios and what not. I keep thinking its a thermal issue but i have been live monitoring that and its not spiking or anything

<redacted, not interested in helping anymore after moderator removed my previous message> wish op good luck

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Please keep the discussion civil, everyone. OP requested help, let's provide it as such.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I'm not too sure about using 850W for 10980xe and a 3090, @Energycore might know

That's a... 200W CPU...?

Sounds like the PSU isn't the problem tbh. 850W is quite plentiful. I'd look at drivers then first and foremost

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

-= Topic Cleaned =-

Let's keep the topic focused on Troubleshooting.

OP if you want to post a separate topic specifically to rant about LMG please do so in a topic seperate from the one you are asking for help in. This type of posting will inevitably discourage members from aiding you.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

<removed by staff>

28 minutes ago, Scarabgunner said:

I have already tried by myself and with the factory tech as well. we did driver installs and uninstalls, we did bench marking we did different cables, different monitors, the end result was always the same unfortunately. we even went as far as removing the battery on the motherboard and resetting the bios and what not. I keep thinking its a thermal issue but i have been live monitoring that and its not spiking or anything

Are you aware if you have dirty power in your house.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Do elaborate, sound and inputs still working? Only display?

I'm not too sure about using 850W for 10980xe and a 3090, @Energycore might know

That's a... 200W CPU...?

What display is it and do you have gsync on?

well when the happens the screen goes black and says no signal. I do still have sounds and from what I can tell keyboard functions as well even discord calls still work and I can still communicate. I did not know that the 1090 XE was a 200 watt CPU. I thought 850WATTs seemed low because in one video Linus said like 1000 watts might be better for the 3090. My display is actually a Vizio 75" 4K TV 60Hz. This GPU should be able to handle just fine and for the most part it does until it cuts out. Like right now its fine but I am not gaming. The GPU almost never even goes above 30 Percent usage even with a heavy and high graphic game and HDR like Destiny 2. I do run V-SYNC with destiny in the Destiny settings but i was having to turn that off because it was causing random frame drops from time to time when it shouldn't so now I use the RIVA program and MSI afterburner. Which seems to help a lot.

1 minute ago, Scarabgunner said:

My display is actually a Vizio 75" 4K TV 60Hz.

Do you have another to test? It seems more like a display issue than a GPU issue provided the information you gave.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

21 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

<removed by staff>

Are you aware if you have dirty power in your house.

I don't believe my house would have dirty power. This house is only 5 years old. Also nothing else in the house has issues. I guess I am not following? 

Edited by SansVarnic

10 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

Do you have another to test? It seems more like a display issue than a GPU issue provided the information you gave.

I do have a samsung G7 Odyseey 27" 1080P but this GPU should have no problem running on this TV. Like i mentioned before it runs fine most of the time it was only like heavy stuff after a little while that it decides to cut out. TO BE HONEST i haven't tried to just only use my G7 and see what happens. Like test drive it for a week solo. Mainly because I like the sit back couch console experience on a large display. I watched a video of someone running this GPU on an 8K tv that was bigger then mine. Are we positive it isn't the PSU or something bottle necking?

4 minutes ago, Scarabgunner said:

I don't believe my house would have dirty power. This house is only 5 years old. Also nothing else in the house has issues. I guess I am not following? 

The age of the house has nothing to do with the power being supplied. Have you done a fresh installation of Windows?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

21 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Sounds like the PSU isn't the problem tbh. 850W is quite plentiful. I'd look at drivers then first and foremost

@Energycore Quick Question? do you know how to record data like temps and voltages on a program possibly? Maybe I can have the program running and recording until it crashes my display then I can see what happened at that time but it needs to be able to save itself because i would then have to turn off the pc and hard reboot

1 minute ago, ProjectBox153 said:

The age of the house has nothing to do with the power being supplied. Have you done a fresh installation of Windows?

I was unaware of that. However, The computer is only 2 months old it had a fresh install when I got it

5 minutes ago, Scarabgunner said:

I was unaware of that. However, The computer is only 2 months old it had a fresh install when I got it

I know, but Windows can still be screwed up in interesting ways sometimes. It's worth a shot if you have the time. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, ProjectBox153 said:

I know, but Windows can still be screwed up in interesting ways sometimes. It's worth a shot if you have the time. 

Believe me my first computer was a windows Vista. I can give it a try sometime. Would need to back stuff up unfortunately.

27 minutes ago, Scarabgunner said:

I do have a samsung G7 Odyseey 27" 1080P but this GPU should have no problem running on this TV. Like i mentioned before it runs fine most of the time it was only like heavy stuff after a little while that it decides to cut out. TO BE HONEST i haven't tried to just only use my G7 and see what happens. Like test drive it for a week solo. Mainly because I like the sit back couch console experience on a large display. I watched a video of someone running this GPU on an 8K tv that was bigger then mine. Are we positive it isn't the PSU or something bottle necking?

I am not saying it has trouble running the display. I think the tv might be cutting out so try the G7 and see if it fixes it.

Desktop :

Laptop :

1 minute ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

I am not saying it has trouble running the display. I think the tv might be cutting out so try the G7 and see if it fixes it.

I see what you mean. I will give the G7 a try for about a week or so if it lasts that long but is it even possible for a display to not be able to handle an input? I have never had that issue before but then again I have never owned a pc this good before and trying to run 4K

1 minute ago, Scarabgunner said:

is it even possible for a display to not be able to handle an input?

I have no clue but since you have tried just about everything else that seems like the next logical step. It could also be something stupid like the cable causing issues. I have had an issue with a broken display port cable shorting and switching off the computer.

Desktop :

Laptop :

1 minute ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

I have no clue but since you have tried just about everything else that seems like the next logical step. It could also be something stupid like the cable causing issues. I have had an issue with a broken display port cable shorting and switching off the computer.

Yeah trust me I believe anything can be the issue. I did go out of my way and buy two 48GBP'S HDMI cables prior to owning this computer because I knew a cheap HDMI cable wasn't going to work. But it could just be the TV. I appreciate your help and everyone else's. I do apologize about the beginning of all this.

I bet its the TV

Also 850W for a 10980XE + 3090 is not enough. 

Bummer for a $6k prebuild.. yikes.

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

2 hours ago, Scarabgunner said:

@Energycore Quick Question? do you know how to record data like temps and voltages on a program possibly? Maybe I can have the program running and recording until it crashes my display then I can see what happened at that time but it needs to be able to save itself because i would then have to turn off the pc and hard reboot

I believe HWInfo64 can log into a text file. I haven't used the feature though.

Or was it HWMonitorPro. I always mix those up, but one will work.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler