Where is the best place to learn to code?

richodude

I've been wanting to get into programming particularly game design for a while. The problem is a do and don't know where to go. I know there are plenty of youtube tutorials and websites like code.org but they dont seem personalized or up to my pace. Especially with code.org, I don't even feel like its actually teaching me to code at all. I'm 16 and at high school so college isnt for a few years yet. The community college near me doesn't offer any good programming classes either. I've considered places like fiverr but they run close to 30 bucks an hour. I wouldn't mind spending a bit of money but free is always better. Where did you guys learn and where do you think i should start?

OUTDATED JAN 2021 ===========> Check out my pc building guide! might be useful tho

It's great for planning new builds, getting a reference on where to start, or seeing what you need to play what games.

It also shows what I recommend for upgrading your stuff!

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - gtx 1070

ram - (2x8) 3200mhz

ssd - 970 evo plus 500gb

ssd2 - 860 qvo 1tb

mobo - asrock b450m hdv r4.0

psu - evga b5 550w bronze

2 minutes ago, richodude said:

I've been wanting to get into programming particularly game design for a while. The problem is a do and don't know where to go. I know there are plenty of youtube tutorials and websites like code.org but they dont seem personalized or up to my pace. Especially with code.org, I don't even feel like its actually teaching me to code at all. I'm 16 and at high school so college isnt for a few years yet. The community college near me doesn't offer any good programming classes either. I've considered places like fiverr but they run close to 30 bucks an hour. I wouldn't mind spending a bit of money but free is always better. Where did you guys learn and where do you think i should start?

You can audit college classes, in other words, attend, but for no credits.

Coding is a PITA (was a programmer) so you really need interactive in-person instruction, unless your mind readily takes to programming.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

imo the best place to get started is with an excellent teacher.

Second best is codecademy.com and learn Java.

Then you decide what you want to be able to make & use google to see what technologies & programs you'll need to make what you want to make.

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

imo the best place to get started is with an excellent teacher.

Second best is codecademy.com and learn Java.

Then you decide what you want to be able to make & use google to see what technologies & programs you'll need to make what you want to make.

where would i get one. school? I'd wish not to wait though. If I did go for someone on fiverr or something how long would you expect i have to be with them? I know its very vague but I'm looking for a few hours or a few dozen hours or a few hundred. I'd say I learn decently fast

OUTDATED JAN 2021 ===========> Check out my pc building guide! might be useful tho

It's great for planning new builds, getting a reference on where to start, or seeing what you need to play what games.

It also shows what I recommend for upgrading your stuff!

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - gtx 1070

ram - (2x8) 3200mhz

ssd - 970 evo plus 500gb

ssd2 - 860 qvo 1tb

mobo - asrock b450m hdv r4.0

psu - evga b5 550w bronze

Just now, richodude said:

where would i get one. school?

lol

You just have to be really lucky or know someone that actually knows what they're doing.

You can make a lot of money programming. Teachers at schools must be very bad at programming to be there making much less money.

Some youtubers are decent, but just get started with codecademy since it's free and learn java. The skills are the same between just about every language. Syntax is very minor.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

You just have to be really lucky or know someone that actually knows what they're doing.

You can make a lot of money programming. Teachers at schools must be very bad at programming to be there making much less money.

I wouldn't say that at all. Most of the teachers I know for any field of study all worked in it for large periods of time and then go into teaching for a less stressful employment opportunity or it something that they've always wanted to do. Teachers (In my corner of the globe at least) also get kick ass benefits and a lot of free time. If you have a really young guy as your teacher or a guy who doesn't care then you may be correct but I definitely wouldn't lump a lot teachers in that category for the simple fact that priorities change in life.

As far as OP goes

I picked up a book on C++ and the rest is history. Personally I am a big fan of buying book's for programming for the simple fact that most free material out there is free for a reason... As far as choosing a language goes it honestly doesn't matter because at the end of the day it all comes down same shit different pile. You learn one programming language and you basically learn them all. Just pick a language and search on stack over flow best books for your language choice and you will usually see a very highly upvoted list that's good to choose from. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

6 hours ago, richodude said:

Freecodecamp is a great place to learn programming.