INTEL is it the end?

oldSock
On 1/3/2021 at 10:32 PM, ragnarok0273 said:

I can see ARM taking over in laptops.

Desktops? Not really - except for Macs.

I think x86 will stick around in laptops now that Intel is adopting big.LITTLE. They maybe won’t be quite as power efficient as ARM but it’ll be good enough that OEMs won’t bother with the headache involved with switching. 

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

44 minutes ago, oldSock said:

Another important thing is the death of the laptop. See Apple made a massive statement with their ARM CPUs and that is that it CAN do desktop work. How i see the future is a phone being plugged into a charging dock that will activate more functionality because it has constant power. That means the phone becomes the laptop. We have seen this happen to a degree. But i think manufacturers may include a second CPU that is dormant when on battery but will get used once plugged into its docking station.

I beg to differ but where are you getting your Information at? BTW, Apple has always made massive statements every time they came out with new Hardware.

Why would I or anyone else want to replace my Laptop with an High End Phone?

46 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I beg to differ but where are you getting your Information at? BTW, Apple has always made massive statements every time they came out with new Hardware.

Why would I or anyone else want to replace my Laptop with an High End Phone?

Glad you ask, Firstly There was the Samsung S8 that had a proper desktop experience.

Source

See this was really a first for me, yes many phones CAN do this BUT few of them can do it properly and with minimum effort.

Another product was one Linus and them reviewed a while back.

Source

This was really an eye opener for me and i thought that it had a lot of potential. Plugging your phone to this "laptop" basically made it a laptop. Now the point here is YES it is early days but you can see where the momentum for this is coming from.

Other products that uses arm but is used for "desktop solutions" are the raspberry Pi, Now people have been working on turning it into a phone since 2014 and yes some solutions are just DIY others like using it as a laptop or even a desktop is more common but what stood out is that most of them can be used as "basic office PC hardware" and in advertisement signs stuff like that. So the concept for 1 device to do many things isn't new by any means. But it is fair to say that the hardware evolved dramatically.

Now the last conclusions was actually from LTT again when I watched their review on the ARM based apple computer and what it was able to do. It is powerful it is not big once he opened it up and yes a bit power hungry "but that is where the docking station comes in" Not to mention it can also have a thermal solution. The fact is the potential is here for all to see and i don't think Samsung or Apple is done.

Samsung knows how important a desktop solution is on its phones, to the point that it is now a function. Apple is heading towards the same thing because customers want this function. Not just the function BUT also having less devices that can do more is really within the strategy. That is why so many services like GeForce Now is becoming a thing.

Now to answer your question, if you have the above mentioned "laptop solution" and all you have to do is to upgrade your phone to give it new life, That sounds like a win because many people are on contract phones and will upgrade within 24 months. Consider what a laptop cost why would you want to spend double? Unless if you need something really powerful. Then sure this solution will not be the right one "for now" BUT again now that the door is open for ARM who knows how powerful their solutions will become in the near future.

Lastly i am not pushing for this change but am hopping it will happen. As someone that needs to travel A LOT for work and having to drag a office with me ALL THE TIME it sucks. So if i can streamline that i would gladly do so. So for me i like the idea behind it and i am hopeful that it will become a thing because of my use case. Yours may not be so focused on it.

14 hours ago, whm1974 said:

A notebook and phone doesn't weigh all that much.

No but the one i can have on me all the the time, the other not. See here is the thing.

In a previous post i stated i got a good deal on a server with KVM support that i rent per month.

Now what do i do with it?

Well basically i use my phone to log into it and use it as my desktop. This means my phone is now my desktop computer. So once i did my work i email it to myself where i download it to a thumb drive and install the patch on my client's systems. Now why did i go to this extreme?

Simple truth is, it works, i have a folding Bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo. So once i connect these to devices and log into my server it is effectively my desktop. I have a server grade CPU RAM and other functions and i can use it all in real time on my phone "provided i camp under my ISP's tower" and there we go. "ok the camping thing isn't real" BUT point is now i have 1 thing that can do what i need it to do. Not 2 or 3 things. So it is not about "space" or even what is practice. It is what works and a phone has a internet connection. It is build for that connection. very few laptops can take a mobile SIM. So if the phone can do it, why have the other stuff? 

i know it is not your use case and i truly respect that, but for me it was/is about what works. This works for me.

10 minutes ago, oldSock said:

No but the one i can have on me all the the time, the other not. See here is the thing.

In a previous post i stated i got a good deal on a server with KVM support that i rent per month.

Now what do i do with it?

Well basically i use my phone to log into it and use it as my desktop. This means my phone is now my desktop computer. So once i did my work i email it to myself where i download it to a thumb drive and install the patch on my client's systems. Now why did i go to this extreme?

Simple truth is, it works, i have a folding Bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo. So once i connect these to devices and log into my server it is effectively my desktop. I have a server grade CPU RAM and other functions and i can use it all in real time on my phone "provided i camp under my ISP's tower" and there we go. "ok the camping thing isn't real" BUT point is now i have 1 thing that can do what i need it to do. Not 2 or 3 things. So it is not about "space" or even what is practice. It is what works and a phone has a internet connection. It is build for that connection. very few laptops can take a mobile SIM. So if the phone can do it, why have the other stuff? 

i know it is not your use case and i truly respect that, but for me it was/is about what works. This works for me.

I now see what your Use Case is. In the near future You may want to Lead with that first. Myself I only use my cell phone for Surfing the Web or playing a Game if I waiting on something. With Phone Games I have sound turned down since it is not a not good ideal to wear head phones in Public anyway. Especially ear buds as people are unable to hear what is around them.

In my case I have to wearing Hearing Aids due to unable to hear Speech Normally.

I have to ask but how large is your Cell Phone Screen? I replaced my First Smartphone which had a 3.5"/4" Screen with a new model that is way more Usable w/ 6" display. It is also faster and has 4G as well.

23 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I now see what your Use Case is. In the near future You may want to Lead with that first. Myself I only use my cell phone for Surfing the Web or playing a Game if I waiting on something. With Phone Games I have sound turned down since it is not a not good ideal to wear head phones in Public anyway. Especially ear buds as people are unable to hear what is around them.

In my case I have to wearing Hearing Aids due to unable to hear Speech Normally.

To be fair we drifted off topic for a bit. But i think the future is here, and most of this stuff is becoming a norm. I think that is what companies like apple and others that will follow their model is counting on. That the end user must spend more money keeping their devices alive with subscriptions and other mandatory incentives. But wait... the day Google start to charge for gmail... That would be scary...   

Just now, whm1974 said:

I have to ask but how large is your Cell Phone Screen? I replaced my First Smartphone which had a 3.5"/4" Screen with a new model that is way more Usable w/ 6" display. It is also faster and has 4G as well.

my current phone: Phone specs

Type Super AMOLED
Size 5.5 inches, 83.4 cm2 (~73.1% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution 1080 x 1920 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~401 ppi density)

Always-on display

2 minutes ago, oldSock said:

To be fair we drifted off topic for a bit. But i think the future is here, and most of this stuff is becoming a norm. I think that is what companies like apple and others that will follow their model is counting on. That the end user must spend more money keeping their devices alive with subscriptions and other mandatory incentives. But wait... the day Google start to charge for gmail... That would be scary...   

There is a really simple solution to prevent that. Get a smaller and lighter standard notebook.

13 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

There is a really simple solution to prevent that. Get a smaller and lighter standard notebook.

When it comes to ARM CPUs, it is fair to say that there are very small devices that can do a lot of work. That work is amplified because of web base services. Regardless of what i as the end user's use it is the service that i access that has the functionality. Laptop, tablet or desktop it doesn't matter at this point because my work flow remains the same.