HDD locked after recovering files

xxx68

Hello, I used Disk Drill to recover some deleted files from my hard drive and now the HDD is propably locked. I cannot delete files from it (there is not even an option for it and delete key on keyboard does nothing) and i cannot copy files to that HDD, I can only copy files out of it. How to fix it ? Thanks a lot

1 minute ago, xxx68 said:

Hello, I used Disk Drill to recover some deleted files from my hard drive and now the HDD is propably locked. I cannot delete files from it (there is not even an option for it and delete key on keyboard does nothing) and i cannot copy files to that HDD, I can only copy files out of it. How to fix it ? Thanks a lot

The disk is probably set to read only because of the Disk Drill software, to prevent over writing the recovered files, unless the software fully wrote the partition table and such.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

Following up on SlashedM's suggestion, if you right click on the drive and select properties and then security does it show a check mark next to "write"?

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

thanks for the answers. I cannot reformat the drive coz I have a lot of data on it that i need. When I checked the properties it shows a check mark next to write at : autheticated users, SYSTEM, Administrators but not next to Users . When I try to check it for the Users it says : medium is write protected

2 minutes ago, xxx68 said:

thanks for the answers. I cannot reformat the drive coz I have a lot of data on it that i need. When I checked the properties it shows a check mark next to write at : autheticated users, SYSTEM, Administrators but not next to Users . When I try to check it for the Users it says : medium is write protected

If you have data that you care about on it, recovery all the data you can, id make a image first using ddrescue.

WHy do you want to write to the drive? Writing to the drive will probably only make it worse, and harder to get the data you want from it.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you have data that you care about on it, recovery all the data you can, id make a image first using ddrescue.

WHy do you want to write to the drive? Writing to the drive will probably only make it worse, and harder to get the data you want from it.

Oh yea, were you trying to use a data recovery tool because the drive had failed, or because something was accidentally deleted?

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

I was using recovery tool because i did need to recover few photos that I accidentally deleted, otherwise HDD worked fine

I also tried: 

chkdsk d: /f/r/x

but:

"Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or
the disk may be locked by another process.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode
and make sure the disk is unlocked."