Bad sector that can't be repaired by Windows

SenpaiSilver
Go to solution Solved by BrightCandle,

If the drive is still reporting a bad sector then its not remapped it. That likely means you have run out of spare sectors. Check your SMART data, its likely going to tell you the drive is out of spares. Because otherwise there is no reason why the spare sector wasn't remapped and hence now is solved.

Hi,

I'm having a bad sector always located at the same place (verified with HD Tune) that just won't get repaired by Windows (8).

Is there another way to fix it or to tell Windows to ignore this sector ?

I'd like to not have to partition it to remove the bad sector since it's currently my boot drive.

It's a Samsung 1TB, I got it a couple years ago and I won't replace it right now.

Thanks.

My dream in life is to live of quality internet fiber and junk food.

Its like having a bad tooth, the bad tooth is always in the same location can't do much about that and unfortunately there is no way to fix the bad sector other than buying a new drive. In all reality you should be fine as long as the bad sector count does not increase, I have drives with 5 bad sectors still doing fine, of course you should still back it up just like you would any other drive, new or old or with bad sectors.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Since it's a bit drive I try to keep as less unrecoverable data on it as possible, I'm not concerned a not losing it except for the cost to replace it.

So there is no way to make the system ignore the bad sector ?

My dream in life is to live of quality internet fiber and junk food.

Drives should ignore bad sectors by themselves, and replace it with a reserve. I have an old 80GB maxtor with almost 200 reallocated sectors from memory and it works, it's quite slow though, and I think it has other things wrong with it. But I wouldn't worry about a bad sector unless you start getting more and more. Just back up as you should be doing anyway

2600k@4.5GHz ~ H100 ~ Asus P8Z68V-pro gen3 ~ Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600 ~ Sapphire VaporX 7950 ~ Gigabyte DCU 5770 ~ Kingston 128GB HyperX ~ WD black 2TBx2 ~ WD red 4TB ~ Hauppauge HVR2200 ~ Asus BR drive ~ RAT7 ~ Unicomp model-M

Since it's a bit drive I try to keep as less unrecoverable data on it as possible, I'm not concerned a not losing it except for the cost to replace it.

So there is no way to make the system ignore the bad sector ?

Drives keep track of the bad sectors and avoid them once they mark them as bad, the data that was there is most likely now in a new sector. The drive can relocate a bad sector and avoids using again since its bad. Its all been covered.

If the drive is still reporting a bad sector then its not remapped it. That likely means you have run out of spare sectors. Check your SMART data, its likely going to tell you the drive is out of spares. Because otherwise there is no reason why the spare sector wasn't remapped and hence now is solved.

If you have a bad sector SMART will always report it as such, which is what it does so you can record/log how many you have. Otherwise after the first bad sector the count would go to zero and on the next bad sector you might think its the same one and not that its the second one.