fallout 76 wont start...

shaneh890

just bought and downloaded fallout 76 off of steam and first time trying to launch the game it just goes to a black screen like its about to launch, and then just goes back to my desktop. I tried launching the game from the desktop shortcut, from steam, and from radeon software but all crashed. anyone have this issue?

I have it on bethesda launcher and don't have that problem, could try verifying the files on steam, reinstall? launch as admin?

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

10 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

I have it on bethesda launcher and don't have that problem, could try verifying the files on steam, reinstall? launch as admin?

yeah ive seen some people have just refunded off of steam and gone bethesda... might do that

45 minutes ago, shaneh890 said:

yeah ive seen some people have just refunded off of steam and gone bethesda... might do that

that could work, well hey if you ever need a friend to play with hit me up, im pretty bored by myself

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

2 hours ago, OnionRings said:

that could work, well hey if you ever need a friend to play with hit me up, im pretty bored by myself

If I can ever get it to work I’ll add you. It won’t work on Bethesda launcher either 

5 hours ago, shaneh890 said:

If I can ever get it to work I’ll add you. It won’t work on Bethesda launcher either 

Thats very weird, it must have something to do with your card or drivers if its not platform based.

CPU

Specs? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/2/2021 at 5:44 AM, Mark Kaine said:

Specs? 

A ryzen 5 2600, 32 gigs ram, rx 580 

Weird. Drawing at straws, but make sure your GPU drivers are all up to date.

• 4 months later...

Did you got it working? I have the same Problem and a RX580 too.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:56 AM, shaneh890 said:

just bought and downloaded fallout 76 off of steam and first time trying to launch the game it just goes to a black screen like its about to launch, and then just goes back to my desktop. I tried launching the game from the desktop shortcut, from steam, and from radeon software but all crashed. anyone have this issue?

I tried it on game pass and couldn't get past the first loading screen.

Fallout 4 works ok...well, sort of.

Let us know if you find a solution, mate.

• 1 month later...

I am following as having same problems, cant get Fallout 76 to launch through xbox gamepass/app or through Bethesda launcher either. (yes I went and bought it from Bethesda as well as having it on gamepass to see if that made a difference.)

Specs: 

i7 6700k

AMD Vega 56

GPU Driver version is 21.6.1 (release date 17/06/21)

16gb ram

Below is the response I've had from Bethesda but unfortunately none of these solutions have worked for me. I have also had a similar response from Microsoft Community forums but again with no further info that's not already been given by Bethesda. 

If you are experiencing crashes or performance issues while playing Fallout 76 on your PC, ensure that your machine meets Fallout 76's system requirements and you’ve installed the latest drivers for your graphics card. Most game performance issues can be attributed to hardware.

We recommend you manually download the latest drivers from the below sites and ensure your previous drivers are fully deleted before updating:

If you have confirmed you meet the minimum system requirements and have the latest GPU drivers installed and are experiencing performance and possible stability issues, this can indicate that you are running the game on settings that are inappropriate for your PC configuration.

Because there are so many possible PC configurations, you may need to take a trial and error approach to get the very best results for your PC configuration. Reducing Texture and Shadow Quality will be the first option you'll want to experiment with if you are looking for custom game settings.

Below you will find further troubleshooting steps if the above does not resolve it:

Step 1: If your machine meets min spec, check that you have the latest video card drivers.

• For AMD, go here.
    • If you are using two AMD GPUs with multiple monitors, plug both monitors into the primary GPU to resolve this issue
  • For NVIDIA, go here.
    • NVIDIA ONLY: You may have a .dll file that is causing a conflict with your current drivers. This can be caused by an incomplete uninstallation of a previous driver. If your drivers are fully up to date and the issue persists, run the net Diagnostic Report from the launcher. Open the report and look for amdvlk64.dll under "Windows Error Reporting." If you have this file in your Windows Error Reporting log in relation to a Fallout76.exe crash APPCRASH, this file may be causing the conflict as it is an AMD file. You can use the AMD Cleanup Utility to remove it. Visit the AMD support site for instructions and the utility to remove it.
  • Step 2: Set Your Primary GPU and Power Settings
    • If your machine has multiple GPUs (such as many laptops), you should ensure your video driver is selecting the correct GPU for Fallout 76 by opening either the NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Crimson and ensuring that the Fallout 76 .exe file is making use of your primary GPU.
    • You can find instructions for your relevant graphics card manufacturer here:
    • Power-saving features will sometimes override high-performance profiles to save battery life. When the computer attempts to save battery life, it will switch to the integrated card because it does not require as many resources to run.
      • You can resolve this by following the process below:
    • Press the Battery icon in the notification area of your taskbar.
    • Select More power options... and then expand the Show additional plans
    • Select High performance and then close the window.
    • Plug in your power cable to ensure that your battery does not run low while playing.
    • Alternately, enable Windows Game Mode it in game (press Win+G) and selecting "This is a game" when it prompts you.
    • Disable framerate counters and Steam overlay before launching Fallout 76.
  • Step 4: Make sure you are an administrator on your PC. Click here to view instructions on how to set administrator permissions.
  • Step 5: Run Scan and Repair on Fallout 76 and the Bethesda.net launcher or Verify integrity of game files in Steam.
  • Step 6: If you have a controller plugged into your PC, unplug the controller before launching the game
  • Step 7: Check your antivirus software to ensure that Fallout 76 and the Bethesda.net or Steam launcher are added to the exclusion.
  • Step 8: Ensure you have the latest version of DirectX by downloading and installing it here.