What do you think will happen in 2021 related to Tech?

Sandro Linux

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

Same thing that’s happened for the last couple of years.

Small performance improvements, new generation hardware launches, introduction of an update to an old standard.

If we see something genuinely new it would be interesting.

Availability issues resolved. Record sales for Xbox and Playstation. Record sales of new GPUs. AMD gains more marketshare from Intel and Nvidia. Launch of new mid-range and hopefully low-range GPUs at decent prices. Ryzen 5000 4 core CPU launch. Intel 11th gen catches up to Ryzen 5000 in single core and some games but is still less efficient. More affordable and faster PCIe4 SSDs, Sony approving a few of said SSDs for the PS5. Possibly Zen3+ at year end but I doubt it.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

Something I want to see, and that'll likely happen, is new Apple CPUs in iMacs that will absolutely CRUSH. That's all I'm waiting for before whipping out my Amex on apple.com. 

14 minutes ago, beerdrunkmonk said:

Sentient terminators. 

With Boston Dynamic's latest video this future is one that genuinely might happen. I look forward to it.

I think it'll be more of the just the same. Graphics card launches towards the end of the year with scalpers of course, a CPU announcement, a tech factory burning down, all that. Perhaps some new battery tech gets discovered by university students and then immediately they disappear into the abyss, a new set of headphones comes out just after I buy myself something, giving me buyer's remorse, and also something related to flying.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

7 hours ago, lexusgamer05 said:

I want to see Linux market share and Linux support continue to rise

Let's hope so!

Spoiler

8 hours ago, beerdrunkmonk said:

Sentient terminators. 

Sentient terminators, which can dance

Spoiler

8 hours ago, 8tg said:

Same thing that’s happened for the last couple of years.

Small performance improvements, new generation hardware launches, introduction of an update to an old standard.

If we see something genuinely new it would be interesting.

We did see a number of genuinely new things in 2020 (M1 Macs)

Spoiler

Mainstream adoption of DDR5 is the most likely change

Current PC
Intel i5-4690k (4.5GHz at 1.25V), MSI H97 PC Mate (which I somehow got it to overclock) 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Transcend SSD370 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM 3TB, HP 1270i 22x DVD Drive, Palit GTX970 Jetstream, Andyson F500m, Lancool K62, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Dell U2414H, Logitech Z103, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Steelseries Kinzu V2, Sennheiser HD600 with Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/Amp

Considering: AMD Ryzen 5000 system

Current Photography setup

Pentax K-1, Pentax K-5, Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 Aspherical, Tokina 28-80mm f2.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Pentax DA 50 f1.8, Yongnuo YN585EX

3 minutes ago, kaixax555 said:

Mainstream adoption of DDR5 is the most likely change

Yeah, although most people will still use DDR4

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Sandro Linux said:

We did see a number of genuinely new things in 2020 (M1 Macs)

Is Apples M1 really new though? Its an evolution of their phone SoC that's been around for years.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

48 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Is Apples M1 really new though? Its an evolution of their phone SoC that's been around for years.

I guess it is not but It is new when I comes to Macs

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Them putting it in desktop would incentivise others to develop applications for it

I'm also looking forward to x86 alternatives, so we're not just stuck with either AMD or Intel

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

What will happen in 2021?

- Apple will release the lineup for power users, with an even more powerful M2 chip, leaving also the power-hungry "Pro"-Laptops in the Windows ecosystem in the dust.
- I will get my 3080 I ordered on launch day (hopefully)

- Linux will stay niche
- Mac OS will increase its market share 

- Windows will stay on the throne

- Maybe Neuralink will get some breakthrough but will still remain FAR away from the regular consumer market.

In the long run...? (Highly speculative)

I think, the industry is approaching a tipping point where things, as we have known them for the last 20 years, might change. Apple will show that the world is not dependent on ATX-Standards, not dependent on open boot loaders, not dependent on x86 and not dependent on modular systems. 
I would name this trend maybe "Consolification" of PC? Systems where the SoC itself starts to play a bigger role. Systems not running "legacy Win32" applications, but Windows 10X. Systems that tightly integrate available accelerators like Apple does with the ML-Cores on the M1. You would buy a PC like you buy an XBox today. Some systems might come with a bit of upgradeability like a PCIe-Slot for a graphics card (CUDA is still a thing :) ).

If - and I repeat in capital-bold-underscored: IF - closed SoCs become the norm, locked boot loaders (as we know in smart phones or the new apple ecosystem) - might become normal. Installing an open-source operating system (like... you know... Linux?) could become really difficult. If Microsoft is successful with Win on ARM in the long run (e.g. Qualcomm getting their job done or MS themselves start creating their own like Apple), they could technically say: "If you want Linux, go WSL."

No, I don't like this projection either - because choice is always better for the consumer. Linux might lose in this race on the desktop and is pushed more and more for being for servers and embedded systems. People might get locked out of their own tech needing to rely on trust - trust either Apple, Microsoft or Google (or a mix of them). 

We might have a city to burn.

16 hours ago, Sandro Linux said:

I'll get the vr I bought. 

I think intel might become the budget brand more so as AMD innovates and intel cpu purchases continue to be lessened by the value of AMD. 

What will happen in 2021:
I will have X570 instead of B350
I will have my GM750 PSU
I will have a GTX 970 (or RTX 3060/Ti/70) instead of a GTX 650 Ti Boost
I will get my iMac G5 working
I will get my subwoofer working
Intel's Rocket Lake will release and flop due to Ryzen 9
Elephants will rule Europe

elephants

Probably the DDR5 ram will be a thing? With all The great improvements specially with gpu's i don't know maybe the next ddr5 ram.

Or they will just keep the CPU/GPU kind of arms race releasing more and more

21 hours ago, Sandro Linux said:

* the masses will continue to be spied-on by Intel, AMD, Apple, Google, Microsoft and countless third-parties who are using their hardware and software

* the masses will continue to buy disposable batteries in droves despite the existence of low-self-discharge rechargeables like eneloop. Manufacturers will continue to bundle disposables with many devices too.

* Sales of UPSs will increase among The Sheeple due to some planned 'essential infrastructure' outages primed to herd The Sheeple into their new realities.

* Cash will continue to die. Or rather, private transactions will continue to die in favour of 'everything tracked & taxed' electronically

* device manufacturers will continue making devices (phones, laptops, etc) with hard-to-remove batteries (and other Designed-For-Disposal methods) in service of the Landfill Economy

* automatic updates will continue to bloat, making older hardware slow while installing the latest State Mafia exploits on devices. In doing so, both the Surveillance Economy and Landfill Economy will continue being served

* millions of LED lights will need replacement as we see the Landfill Economy continue to shine

* billions of lithium-ion batteries will need to be replaced but instead the whole device will be tossed out instead because it's easier / cheaper / too expensive to fix or replace

* millions of devices will continue to be discarded due to cracked screens

* AMD/Intel/Nvidia fanboys will continue to support their teams as these companies make incremental speed bumps on the road to nowhere. Hah!

Some phone company will copy Apple again.

Some April fool joke become real thing like the KFConsole

3 minutes ago, lexusgamer05 said:

Everyone copies off each other in the phone industry

Yes, but when Apple remove headphone jack and add a notch, other company seem follow it.

18 hours ago, Age of 9394 said:

Some phone company will copy Apple again.

Probably will take the charger out of the box

Spoiler

If things don't open up the shortage will get serious, like $500 for rx580 and 80 plus bronze psu bad

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~