Lenovo whitelisting problem.

RazzRaven
Go to solution Solved by Aragorn-,

Never trust a companys community forum.

So I just found out that anything over a RX 470 its not going to work on a Lenovo M81/91p Motherboard. 

IS6XM motherboards only allow nVidia 700 and 900 series cards.

I now have a $260+ paper weight.

I did some research before i got this radeon rx570 and the Lenovo forums said that the mobo would support anything put into it even the card in question. The 570. 

The card just came in and it doesn't work. Do some digging and asking around and find out that Lenovo whitelisting a hell of a lot of stuff. To me for no reason that i can tell. 

Is is possible to still get this card to work or do i just have to pick up a mobo now?

Oh yeah. And im new here. So hi all.

Edit: i didn't  know if this should have gone in the mobo tab it this graphics tab. So i just picked this one. Sorry of im in the wrong channel for this question. Cheers.

19 minutes ago, RazzRaven said:

Lenovo forums said that the mobo would support anything put into it even the card in question. The 570. 

The card just came in and it doesn't work. Do some digging and asking around and find out that Lenovo whitelisting a hell of a lot of stuff. To me for no reason that i can tell. 

Yeah a lot of times Ive found that these people say “Yes” to things that really are No and “No” to things that are really are yes. Although because of it, I just assume everything is No

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

I'm surprised they whitelist on a Desktop platform.

Its common on laptops though.

If your getting nothing at all though, i would test the card in another system first. *USUALLY* if its a whitelisting issue, it will power on and tell you the system isnt booting due to an invalid card. Does the onboard video still initialise? Any messages on there?

Removing the M.2 whitelist on a ThinkPad T440p | Thrimbor's unnamed blog

This is what you typically get on a laptop with a non-approved WiFi card for instance.

4 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

I'm surprised they whitelist on a Desktop platform.

Its common on laptops though.

If your getting nothing at all though, i would test the card in another system first. *USUALLY* if its a whitelisting issue, it will power on and tell you the system isnt booting due to an invalid card. Does the onboard video still initialise? Any messages on there?

Nothing at all. Im told thats just how the Lenovo mobo work. It still powers on it just doesn't get to bios. I have some other older computers laying around that should be able to take the card. Im just afraid if i mess with the card alot i, going to end up braking it. 

Im going to have to dig out my psu tho. All that cable hiding work  ;(

35 minutes ago, RazzRaven said:

I did some research before i got this radeon rx570 and the Lenovo forums said that the mobo would support anything put into it even the card in question. The 570. 

With prebuild custom motherboards it either works or it doesn't(mostly does not work). I think back in the day when GTX 10-series came out, multiple people had issues with it and you couldnt tell them that it wont work because 5 people came and said that it's bs.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

i get a "Site is currently being upgraded" haha, good timing apparently, it worked 5 minutes ago.

Try again in a while i guess.

I just got to out of that error my self lol.

Ill check that out in the morning then thanks. 

Im putting together a retro 2000s sleeper pc with a old windows xp ePC case i had.

The only newest mobo i had was this Lenovo. 

Honestly to tell you all the truth,  i know just enough about computers to get my feet wet. 

Im slowly learning. Night guys.

34 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

It finally worked. Ive read through that page and ill have to try that tomorrow if i have time thanks bud. 

Ill also update here if im successful. Gn guys.

12 hours ago, Aragorn- said:

i get a "Site is currently being upgraded" haha, good timing apparently, it worked 5 minutes ago.

Try again in a while i guess.

Thank you so much bud. The bios mod worked. Im runing off the 570 and downloading drivers as i type. 

Cheers guys. 

20201231_163544.jpg

20201231_163552.jpg