The Witcher 3 poor performce on RTX 3090

Plermpel
Go to solution Solved by Plermpel,

So I tried it with the 850W PSU, no effect at all (like I thought).

The problem seems to be mostly the tripple monitor setup, when I just run FullHD I get allmost 100fps and 99% GPU Usage (even the GPU doesn't boost as high, as it does in other Games), but also have that effect a little, that when I move the camera ingame, GPU usage and FPS drops. I gues I will just wait till all my other hardware arrives and play on the other PC in 4K. I don't have too high hopes to get such issues fixed for such an old game. :(

Hello,

I made a console thread a few days ago about the witcher 3, since I watched my dad playing that game I while now, I wanted to play it myself again.

Optimistic as I am I downloaded a mod list from one of does beatiful YouTube Videos and packed it all into my game folder.

Started up the game and it was a great disapointment, not just that it looks much worse then those videos but also 5-10fps!!!!

So I deinstalled the game downloaded it again, and fired it up vanilla and it was a disapointment again...

The game runs about 45fps 60% GPU Usage (vanilla maxed out) but as soon as I move it dropes to about 15fps and GPU usage goes down as low as 7%.

I am running NVSurround 5760x1080, I tried to turn it off and run the game on my TV in 4k and that's ok I guess, but still the GPU is at 95% load, no boost clock (1840MHz) and barely holds the 60fps.

That's about the same performance I got on my 1080Ti. No chance to run smooth with some mods.

So I wanted to ask, is anyone else experiencing such drama with witcher 3 on a 3090?

No hardware suggestions please, everything but Witcher 3 runs fine, NV Surround seems to e a problem now, but wasn't a few years ago, but also 4k performance is bad in my opinion.

All drivers and BIOS+VBIOS is the latest, tried flashing older VBIOS on my TUF 3090, no impact. Specs bellow.

Ryzen 3700X (soon to be 5950X if it ever arrives...)

ASRock B550 Pro-4 (Backup MoBo)

4x8Gig Patriot Viper @3200Mhz CL16

ASUS TUF 3090OC

2 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

Hello,

I made a console thread a few days ago about the witcher 3, since I watched my dad playing that game I while now, I wanted to play it myself again.

Optimistic as I am I downloaded a mod list from one of does beatiful YouTube Videos and packed it all into my game folder.

Started up the game and it was a great disapointment, not just that it looks much worse then those videos but also 5-10fps!!!!

So I deinstalled the game downloaded it again, and fired it up vanilla and it was a disapointment again...

The game runs about 45fps 60% GPU Usage (vanilla maxed out) but as soon as I move it dropes to about 15fps and GPU usage goes down as low as 7%.

I am running NVSurround 5760x1080, I tried to turn it off and run the game on my TV in 4k and that's ok I guess, but still the GPU is at 95% load, no boost clock (1840MHz) and barely holds the 60fps.

That's about the same performance I got on my 1080Ti. No chance to run smooth with some mods.

So I wanted to ask, is anyone else experiencing such drama with witcher 3 on a 3090?

No hardware suggestions please, everything but Witcher 3 runs fine, NV Surround seems to e a problem now, but wasn't a few years ago, but also 4k performance is bad in my opinion.

All drivers and BIOS+VBIOS is the latest, tried flashing older VBIOS on my TUF 3090, no impact. Specs bellow.

Ryzen 3700X (soon to be 5950X if it ever arrives...)

ASRock B550 Pro-4 (Backup MoBo)

4x8Gig Patriot Viper @3200Mhz CL16

ASUS TUF 3090OC

PSU?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Not sure about your issues but my 3080 has no problem running modded Witcher 3 at 90+ FPS at 4K Ultra. (+A lot of graphics mods) But in my case it's combined with a 5600X.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

No hardware suggestions please, everything but Witcher 3 runs fine

2 minutes ago, Downkey said:

PSU?

EVGA 650GQ, but just for your happienes, I can try to hook up a Corsair TX850

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Not sure about your issues but my 3080 has no problem running modded Witcher 3 at 90+ FPS at 4K Ultra. (+A lot of graphics mods) But in my case it's combined with a 5600X.

None of my threads is fully uilized when I am ingame, so I think it can't be a CPU bottleneck?

6 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

EVGA 650GQ, but just for your happienes, I can try to hook up a Corsair TX850

A mediocre unit that’s only 650watts for a 3090? Hook up that TX850. I wouldn’t be suprised if that fixed the issue

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

48 minutes ago, Downkey said:

A mediocre unit that’s only 650watts for a 3090? Hook up that TX850. I wouldn’t be suprised if that fixed the issue

Normally the PC shuts down if the PSU is overloaded. Seems like OP has throttling issues. I don't know if the other PSU would help, but trying won't hurt.

54 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

None of my threads is fully uilized when I am ingame, so I think it can't be a CPU bottleneck?

My CPU is also only sitting at 30% when playing the game. It's not about that. I've had a 3700X before and the game was also running perfectly fine with that.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Downkey said:

If the PSU is bad, it wont run, it would just crash or restart at high loads.

As the OP said it only happened with the Witcher.

What you have probably a driver issue, since the card is new, expect some bugs.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

So I tried it with the 850W PSU, no effect at all (like I thought).

The problem seems to be mostly the tripple monitor setup, when I just run FullHD I get allmost 100fps and 99% GPU Usage (even the GPU doesn't boost as high, as it does in other Games), but also have that effect a little, that when I move the camera ingame, GPU usage and FPS drops. I gues I will just wait till all my other hardware arrives and play on the other PC in 4K. I don't have too high hopes to get such issues fixed for such an old game. :(

If you have added Reshade and/or ENB the files would not be deleted when uninstalling the game. 

So check what you installed or uninstall the game then delete the game folder then install again.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV