Compatible PCIe Cards with an eGPU enclosure (specifically Razer Core X)

waverboy

Hi.

Has anyone else tried non graphics PCIe cards in an eGPU enclosure? I did see in one of the LTT M1 Mac reviews that showed a 10G ethernet card working within a Razer Core X on a new M1 chip. Perhaps this is something that could be explored in an LTT to show other ways of gaining connectivity (obviously with some performance penalty due to running Thunderbolt and not having it directly in a PCIe slot). Even with a supposed performance penalty I was able to run 4 seperate 4K at 60Hz display outputs with hardware playback from a video projection program called Madmapper from an MSI RX580 in the Razer Core X connected to a 2018 Macbook Pro running an i5 with no stuttering or crashes for over 4 hours in a sub optimal test conditions.

Cards that would be of interest that could be used in the Razer Core X would be the Avid HDX DSP card, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K60 Quad HDMI Recorder Capture Card, Dante PCIe-R Soundcard and Universal Audio Octo "Core" UAD-2 PCIe DSP Accelerator. These can only currently be used with a Mac Pro due to them being PCIe which is less than ideal for quite a number of reasons least of which being price and the form factor (portability to have a mobile streaming/audio recording setup (as in it can fit in two Pelican cases) ).

Could this be a way get PCIe cards to work without having to have physical PCIe slot in a computer and could this mean that proprietary cards could still run on newer computers and provide some form of backwards compatibility? (obviously these would need drivers to work and will Apple being a**holes about what drivers can be used on MacOS (talking about AMD RX6000 series) this may be an even bigger issue. But from those cards I listed above they all have MacOS compatible drivers which currently run but with a direct PCIe connection

TIA for any thoughts or info

-> Moved to Graphics Cards

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 years later...

2 year old thread with no responses?

Not sure why mod moved this to graphics cards. This was a question about razer core being used for anything but a graphics card.

I have the same question and since no one has responded i may just try it myself since i have one.

What i would like to do is connect my laptop to a PCIe NONGRAPHICS card. i have a specific controller for some data acquisition equipment i would like to use. If this is possible i wouldn't need to build a separate Desktop PC to run my testing.

Has anyone attempted to plug in something else and have success?

• 8 months later...

Any news on these tests I'm interested in buying a second hand razer core x and a BM decklinck duo 2 to merge em and try capture 4 signals through thunderbolt 3

Yes, I can confirm that my Razer Core X (not the chrome) works perfectly well with my Blackmagic decklink Quad (4 hdmi) pci card connected via thunderbolt 3 with my Mac mini M1