Correct Mount of AIO with Pump in the Radiator

Breeeee
Go to solution Solved by narrdarr,
57 minutes ago, Breeeee said:

@StahlmannThank you for your reply.

But if I chose a front mount with tubes up, wouldn't I push the air bubbles into the CPU block, limiting performance? Same with bottom mount?

(I know, this wasn't part of the original question, only for completeness)

For best heat transfer you don't want air collecting in the block. For best flow and reduced pump noise you'll want to have the pump placed where air doesn't collects.

Air will go to the highest point in the loop

Bottom mount is a bad idea. Highest point would be the cpu block.

Top mount should be fine. But the pump is in rad might so air may gather there. Making it noisy. But you can add a couple washers to tilt the rad so the air rest to one end. 

Front mount will also be fine. Tubes down is best. But if you can only do tubes up it fine.

What case is it?

Hello everyone,

currently, I am accumulating all the parts for my first gaming rig. Caused by space constraints, I decided to go mATX for the Motherboard and the case. To counter the expected reduced airflow, I got a MSI Coreliquid 240r AIO, which has it's pump in the radiator.

Now to the question: Can I mount it to the top of a case? (I have the choice between two, one with support for radiators at the top, one only supporting fans at the top, the definite choice will be made when my problem is solved)

I watched the concerning Video from GamersNexus, but he was only talking about pumps in the CPU block. And applying his explanations to my AIO, the only 2 ways to mount it, would be at the bottom or front with tubes down, so neither the pumps, nor the tubes are on top of the loop.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of AIO?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Breeee

My guess would be that it doesn't really matter for this kind of AiO where the tubes are.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

But if I chose a front mount with tubes up, wouldn't I push the air bubbles into the CPU block, limiting performance? Same with bottom mount?

57 minutes ago, Breeeee said:

For best heat transfer you don't want air collecting in the block. For best flow and reduced pump noise you'll want to have the pump placed where air doesn't collects.

Air will go to the highest point in the loop

Top mount should be fine. But the pump is in rad might so air may gather there. Making it noisy. But you can add a couple washers to tilt the rad so the air rest to one end. 

Front mount will also be fine. Tubes down is best. But if you can only do tubes up it fine.

What case is it?

@narrdarrThank you for your help.

14 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

What case is it?

If topmount is possible (washers are a great idea, but they will put the holes in the radiator at an angle to the holes in the case, so I'll have to see how that works out), I'll go with Fractal Design Define Mini C TG (I know, the Meshify version has better airflow, but the Define is has noise isolation and I'm going to put additional fans inside).

For frontmount, I'll get the (much cheaper) Masterbox q300l (good modularity and airflow, so I don't cook the GPU with the warmer intake air caused by the frontmount. Also the Fractal limits the front intake airflow, so a radiator there (I guess) is pretty bad). 

6 hours ago, Breeeee said:

@narrdarrThank you for your help.

If topmount is possible (washers are a great idea, but they will put the holes in the radiator at an angle to the holes in the case, so I'll have to see how that works out), I'll go with Fractal Design Define Mini C TG (I know, the Meshify version has better airflow, but the Define is has noise isolation and I'm going to put additional fans inside).

For frontmount, I'll get the (much cheaper) Masterbox q300l (good modularity and airflow, so I don't cook the GPU with the warmer intake air caused by the frontmount. Also the Fractal limits the front intake airflow, so a radiator there (I guess) is pretty bad). 

Do not get the master box q300l.

It looks like it would have good air flow, but it doesn't and it really bad.

The f2f mini c th better. There are others that better than it tho.

As for the washers. it won't off set the rad enough to effect the mounting. You only need a couple.

Rad placement. 

No matter what you do there either the rad will dump heat in the case which heat GPU a bit(front mount) or (top mount) the GPU will have it heat exhausting through the rad.

But dont let it go to your head. Either is fine 

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

Do not get the master box q300l.

It looks like it would have good air flow, but it doesn't and it really bad.

The f2f mini c th better. There are others that better than it tho.

I will go with the Fractal and washers then. Thank you so much for you help.

• 3 months later...
On 12/28/2020 at 5:54 AM, narrdarr said:

Why is having the cpu block at the top bad if the pump is in the radiator at the bottom?

2 hours ago, Mazzagatti said:

Why is having the cpu block at the top bad if the pump is in the radiator at the bottom?

air will still settle in the block. which doesnt move heat away.