10700K vs 5600x

YomND

Budget (including currency): 45000 - 50000 INR (600 - 650USD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1080P gaming / 3D model and DEM generation /Software Dev in Linux

Other details Only looking to upgrade mobo + cpu 

I can get a 10700k + Z490 motherboard about 5000-5500 INR (50-60 USD)-ish cheaper than a 5600x + X570 motherboard due to retailer discounts. A 10700KF will be widen this price gap further ( I need to enquire with the store by exactly how much). I am not looking to upgrade in the near future after this upgrade. Want something that I can use for the next 5 years comfortably. What is a better choice? I had originally planned to go for a the 5600x but considering this scenario I am confused.

The 5600x is the better choice.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

2 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

The 5600x is the better choice.

Can you explain your reasoning?

I would check out YouTube, there are quite a few videos there that do a direct comparison of performance in different workloads. Maybe that will help refine your choices for your specific usage.

Just now, YomND said:

Can you explain your reasoning?

Sure. 

Although the 10700k has more cores, the 5600x has higher single threaded performance making it better for gaming.

The multithreaded performance of the 5600x is almost the same as the 10700k because of the IPC improvements with zen 3.

The 5600x draws less power meaning less heat than the 10700k.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

1 minute ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

Sure. 

Although the 10700k has more cores, the 5600x has higher single threaded performance making it better for gaming.

The multithreaded performance of the 5600x is almost the same as the 10700k because of the IPC improvements with zen 3.

The 5600x draws less power meaning less heat than the 10700k.

Also the 5600x comes with a cooler in the box which may not be accounted for with the intel part, unless of course your current system has adequat cooling for the new part.

With a 10700k being cheaper, i'd go for the 10700k. Sure, you lose 2-3% in gaming, but your other workloads should benefit from the extra cores

25 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

With a 10700k being cheaper, i'd go for the 10700k. Sure, you lose 2-3% in gaming, but your other workloads should benefit from the extra cores

The 5600X has roughly the same multithreaded performance as the 10700K, but runs cooler, uses less power, includes a cooler and has an upgrade path all the way to 16 cores.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

56 minutes ago, Chris Fortune said:

Also the 5600x comes with a cooler in the box which may not be accounted for with the intel part, unless of course your current system has adequat cooling for the new part.

50 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

23 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

The 5600X has roughly the same multithreaded performance as the 10700K, but runs cooler, uses less power, includes a cooler and has an upgrade path all the way to 16 cores.

I do have separate budget laid out for the cooler. And as far as upgrades go, I wont be doing any for the next 5 years, at which point it would be safe to assume that AM4 (or x570) wont be supported so I will have to buy a new motherboard anyway. So I guess the question is will 5600x age better than the 10700K in a way that justifies paying the price difference now.

1 minute ago, YomND said:

I do have separate budget laid out for the cooler. And as far as upgrades go, I wont be doing any for the next 5 years, at which point it would be safe to assume that AM4 (or x570) wont be supported so I will have to buy a new motherboard anyway. So I guess the question is will 5600x age better than the 10700K in a way that justifies paying the price difference now.

In all honesty I think both parts will become age badly over that long a period, As AMD are now a genuine contender Intel will most likely advance more rapidly moving forward to compete, this will not be apparent in the next refreshes we will see but 18 months to 2 years down the line when DDR5 becomes more a consumer item and Gen 4 PCiE is the norm there will be a significant shift. At that point software will drive towards that ecosystem and will become less friendly to everything outside that. Will they still work, sure but at that point which you have will be largely irrelevant.

I went with the 10700k personally when debating that or the 5800x. For the price of a scalped 5800x, I get a CPU with more cores and a board. Another plus was having ram just work. Since it was an upgrade from a 1600, I wanted more cores. Even with the most up to date BIOS, a Crucial 32GB kit planned for an upgrade ended up going to my GFs PC because Ryzen is picky. Her 6700k system recognized it right away, one of those little things you don't really think about.

Watched a few videos and the ones that had AMD winning also had things like running stock speed etc. Realistically, the end user with an unlocked chip is very likely going to OC it. When both AMD and Intel were running overclocks, the AMD hype wasn't really there. I'd have been fine going AMD again, but I got more cores and spent less so that's all that matters to me. 

29 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

Not really, no. I agree it runs cooler, but the multithreaded performance is lower than 10700k's

image.png.0e031c0584c487c79999b131fdadcae4.png

13 minutes ago, YomND said:

Think of it this way: they are both excellent cpus.

The 5600x is 5-10% faster in games when paired with a 3080. With weaker cards, the difference is smaller.

The 10700k is 10-15% faster in rendering. It also uses twice the power and needs a beefier cooler.

So there are a few questions: do you care that much about gaming performance and have a high end gpu so that those 5-10% are worth the price difference? Do you have a good enough psu to handle the 10700k, or do you need to factor that in the cost?

Also, you can save some money by going with a b550 boards. You're not losing anything vs a x570.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

The 5600x is 5-10% faster in games when paired with a 3080. With weaker cards, the difference is smaller.

The 10700k is 10-15% faster in rendering. It also uses twice the power and needs a beefier cooler.

So there are a few questions: do you care that much about gaming performance and have a high end gpu so that those 5-10% are worth the price difference? Do you have a good enough psu to handle the 10700k, or do you need to factor that in the cost?

Why do we always forget the PSU when upgrading :S

9 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Also, you can save some money by going with a b550 boards. You're not losing anything vs a x570.

I understand that, but again, due to retailer discounts they are almost similarly priced unless I consider the absolute lower end b550s which I am not too keen on since I have had a bad experience with a lower end motherboard and had to RMA it. Specifically I am looking at the Asus TUF boards and if I get the b550 intel is still cheaper over all.

13 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I have a 650w psu which will run a 1050ti for now but I am going to upgrade to a 3070/3060ti when I can find it in stock.

23 minutes ago, YomND said:

Specifically I am looking at the Asus TUF boards and if I get the b550 intel is still cheaper over all.

An asrock b550 pro 4 or phantom gaming 4 or msi b550 pro-vdh or bazooka are usually half the price of the x570 tuf and should have all the features you need

33 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

An asrock b550 pro 4 or phantom gaming 4 or msi b550 pro-vdh or bazooka are usually half the price of the x570 tuf and should have all the features you need

I will check up on those. But the bottom line is get 10700k if it is a cheaper configuration else go 5600x?