Refresh rate vs Resolution

Max_4
Go to solution Solved by Amias,

Anything above 144hz is hard to distinguish. It helps for highly competitive well optimised games ... very very slightly.

2k vs 4k is noticeable. Go for the 4k monitor.

Hey folks, I am thinking of upgrading my pc. Earlier I was using GTX 1070 which is starting to show its age, I am lucky enough to get hands on an rtx 3080 but I am confused between these two monitors 1. Samsung Odyssey g7 and

2. Lg 27gn950 

It is 1440p 240 hz vs 4k 144hz

I dont play much eSports tittles, I usually play games which are graphically amazing and is a joy to the eye. Eg : shadow of the tomb raider....etc

Please help me by giving advice...🙏

then go for the lg with 4 144hz it will be better but check in the spec of the monitor if it supports display stream compression without that you will not be able to run 4k 144hz on your monitor

1. FPS

2. Refresh

3. resolution + scale

low res, lower scale, bigger screen = better res

24 is okey for 1080p, over and it might become blurry

4K might be more future proof, if you are going to get future king of GPU's

(most run like 60 and rarely 100 with the best GPU and not in SLI)

But for visual games only, it's good to have some FPS and RES with good colors? (RIP HDR)

60 FPS can be fine for visual games, and the 3080 to DLSS can help you with getting what you want.

Anything above 144hz is hard to distinguish. It helps for highly competitive well optimised games ... very very slightly.

2k vs 4k is noticeable. Go for the 4k monitor.

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

1. FPS

2. Refresh

3. resolution + scale

low res, lower scale, bigger screen = better res

24 is okey for 1080p, over and it might become blurry

4K might be more future proof, if you are going to get future king of GPU's

(most run like 60 and rarely 100 with the best GPU and not in SLI)

he using a 3080 which will 4k at 144 frames easily 

If you are into real high end eye candy I'd probably for the G7. At 27", depending on distance, 4k might not make sense. Plus if you want the best looks you gotta be running as much ultra/insane/very high as possible, with ray tracing of course.

If you want a sensible frame rate (average above 60) at 4k with the above settings even 3080 won't guarantee it in all games and if you're spending that much you want a little performance future proofing. At 4k you wont get that and if looks is what you want 4k does scale to 1080 but you'll never go, happily, back to 1080 after 4k.

I'd say if you want best visuals at 4k, with ray tracing, and good frames even 30 series can't guarantee and their ability will only degrade over time. We're not there yet. For highest settings, with ray tracing and very good frames 1440 is still the sweet spot.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

Well if you don't focus on esport titles might just go 4K then.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |