Can my GPU handle it?

Zeorth

So I currently have 2 1080p monitors that my GTX 1080 runs. I was going to upgrade to 2 1440p monitors. Can a GTX 1080 handle this? One will be gaming and one will be discord, spotify etc.

Gaming yes, high fps? no.

You might have to lower settings to make it run 30-60 fps in some titles, older titles it might be easier.

And not trying to push the other screen too hard, it's quite a bit of pixels.Take the frames you have now, and maybe half it and half it again.

I would only upgrade the screen that you game on as the support screen doesn't need higher resolution or refresh rate, if that isn't ok for some reason then maybe limit the secondary screen in your windows setting to limit the load on the GPU

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

Gaming yes, high fps? no.

You might have to lower settings to make it run 30-60 fps in some titles, older titles it might be easier.

And not trying to push the other screen too hard, it's quite a bit of pixels.Take the frames you have now, and maybe half it and half it again.

Which GPU should I upgrade to to make it run at least 80-100 fps then?

Just now, Chris Fortune said:

I would only upgrade the screen that you game on as the support screen doesn't need higher resolution or refresh rate, if that isn't ok for some reason then maybe limit the secondary screen in your windows setting to limit the load on the GPU

If I only upgrade the gaming screen, and keep the support screen at 1080p, how would the fps look like on the 1440p?

2 minutes ago, Khalma said:

You’re looking at at least a RTX 3070 or RX 6800. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

They are independent, I run a 5120x1440 at 120 and a 4K at 60 side by side. Ultrawide for gaming 4K for BluRay playback. No issues whatever

8 minutes ago, Khalma said:

Prior to my upgrade today I was using a 2070 and depending on the game was well into the 90-100 fps. What FPS you can achieve is as much about the game than the screen.

so yeah the new GPU's would support when it comes to 1440p on two screens, still not the best FPS for higher refreash screens.

they will however go high on 1080p if you want the most FPS, can run 1440p too if you want but if using both screens to gaming then you might have to reduce some settings for better fps. Either it being 3070, 3080 if that is a price you think is worth for FPS and not wait for future GPU's. And the newer AMD 6000 series GPU's