ath m50x alternitives?

EmoChipmonk

Im looking at getting a set of Ath M50x and while i know people that have has great experiences with them i was wondering if anyone had any alternitives that are near 220CAD.

2 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

Im looking at getting a set of Ath M50x and while i know people that have has great experiences with them i was wondering if anyone had any alternitives that are near 220CAD.

What are you going to use them for? They are extremely bad for gaming and sound horrible for listening to music.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Really depends on the type of music you listen to and what kind of sound signature you are after. I think they are okay, but there are better sounding headphones in that price range.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Just now, Tigerleon said:

What are you going to use them for? They are extremely bad for gaming and sound horrible for listening to music.

Both. Either. Whatever i feel a whim to listen to somthing.  Though what im asuming you mean when gaming is for listening to footsteps and such i dont really care about that to much. i rarly play multiplayer.

1 minute ago, martward said:

Really depends on the type of music you listen to and what kind of sound signature you are after. I think they are okay, but there are better sounding headphones in that price range.

Honestly i listen across the spectrum. And they will be used with gaming. I do plan on buying an external dac and amp at some point later on. mabey a Schiit stack.

10 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

what would you recommend then?

1 minute ago, EmoChipmonk said:

Honestly i listen across the spectrum. And they will be used with gaming. I do plan on buying an external dac and amp at some point later on. mabey a Schiit stack.

I bought a used pair of DT880s by Beyerdynamic and I really like them. They are semi-closed (or semi-open, but let's not get philosophical) and they are very good for gaming as well as listening to music. If you are a basshead these are not the right headphones though. If you prefer closed, the DT770s have a very big fanbase, though I found them a bit too dark for my taste, I like my headphones bright and detailed.

I also have a pair of CoolerMaster MH752 (same as 751 but with a cheap usb dac thingy). Those I don't like as much for listening to music, but they are crazy comfortable for long gaming sessions and they have a detachable microphone.

Bonus: Koss PortaPro, they are wide open and on-ear, but they are very cheap and sound amazing.

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

2 minutes ago, martward said:

I bought a used pair of DT880s by Beyerdynamic and I really like them. They are semi-closed (or semi-open, but let's not get philosophical) and they are very good for gaming as well as listening to music. If you are a basshead these are not the right headphones though. If you prefer closed, the DT770s have a very big fanbase, though I found them a bit too dark for my taste, I like my headphones bright and detailed.

I also have a pair of CoolerMaster MH752 (same as 751 but with a cheap usb dac thingy). Those I don't like as much for listening to music, but they are crazy comfortable for long gaming sessions and they have a detachable microphone.

Bonus: Koss PortaPro, they are wide open and on-ear, but they are very cheap and sound amazing.

Ok first off that last one. The koss looks like scary as hell. Disregard color as i dont really care about that stuff. i might consider the DT770s but they are a bit out of my price range for me. The Dt880 are Over double my budget. and As for the coolermaster Headset i would prefer to not get a headset as i plan on getting an At2020 at some point and i have really rarly play multiplayer games let alone use a mic on them.

I'll shill for what I'm getting.

AKG K371.

DT770 pricing can fluctuate a bit, I see specials sometimes.

Do you have somewhere to demo?

10 minutes ago, martward said:

Hypatheticly if i got the dt990 would that be a better experience then the DT880? Because they are the same price on amazon right now as the DT770.

https://www.amazon.ca/Beyerdynamic-990-Premium-HiFi-headphones/dp/B00193FT26/ref=pd_di_sccai_1?pd_rd_w=pNhpN&pf_rd_p=e92f388e-b766-4f7f-aac1-ee1d0056e8fb&pf_rd_r=9ANHBB78SB42S5XJTGQ2&pd_rd_r=415848a9-40de-4c28-bf41-4a0fac8ef9db&pd_rd_wg=9k1br&pd_rd_i=B00193FT26&th=1

1 minute ago, artuc said:

I'll shill for what I'm getting.

AKG K371.

DT770 pricing can fluctuate a bit, I see specials sometimes.

Do you have somewhere to demo?

no unfortunatly. Its a shame none of these have detatchable headphone cords

7 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

no unfortunatly. Its a shame none of these have detatchable headphone cords

The AKG do, Beyer have the custom ones which have a detachable cord, believe they're closest to DT770 but never heard them.

7 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

Ok first off that last one. The koss looks like scary as hell. Disregard color as i dont really care about that stuff. i might consider the DT770s but they are a bit out of my price range for me. The Dt880 are Over double my budget. and As for the coolermaster Headset i would prefer to not get a headset as i plan on getting an At2020 at some point and i have really rarly play multiplayer games let alone use a mic on them.

Ah over here the difference is not that big, but I got them used since I also found them a bit too expensive. 

5 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

I've heard a lot of good thing about the dt990, mostly that they're great for gaming and pretty good for music as well. The DT990 are completely open though, so you shouldn't use them if you are in a noisy place or if others would be bothered by your sound (the DT880 I would also not use in a very noisy room, you're going to here a lot). Apparently the DT990 is pretty V-shaped while the DT880 is more neutral-bright.

The AKG 361 and 371 are apparently also good and very comfortable. I didn't find the ATH-M50x very comfortable and the sound was, IMO, not that bad but also not remarkable in any way. I think all of the other options discussed in this  topic are pretty much better. The AKG K361 and K371 have detachable cables which is nice, but since I haven't heard them I can only recommend them as "I've heard good things".

Personally I'm going to murder mod my DT880s so it'll have a detachable 3.5mm jack... hopefully.

My System:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, martward said:

Ah over here the difference is not that big, but I got them used since I also found them a bit too expensive. 

I've heard a lot of good thing about the dt990, mostly that they're great for gaming and pretty good for music as well. The DT990 are completely open though, so you shouldn't use them if you are in a noisy place or if others would be bothered by your sound (the DT880 I would also not use in a very noisy room, you're going to here a lot). Apparently the DT990 is pretty V-shaped while the DT880 is more neutral-bright.

The AKG 361 and 371 are apparently also good and very comfortable. I didn't find the ATH-M50x very comfortable and the sound was, IMO, not that bad but also not remarkable in any way. I think all of the other options discussed in this  topic are pretty much better. The AKG K361 and K371 have detachable cables which is nice, but since I haven't heard them I can only recommend them as "I've heard good things".

Personally I'm going to murder mod my DT880s so it'll have a detachable 3.5mm jack... hopefully.

Ya i think im going to go with the akg ones As they are a more afordable option and have a detatchable cord. I also like the fact they are closed back. Not that open would bother me too much but i kinda miss being able to close myt self off from my obscene attention to the sounds around me. 

Just now, EmoChipmonk said:

Ya i think im going to go with the akg ones As they are a more afordable option and have a detatchable cord. I also like the fact they are closed back. Not that open would bother me too much but i kinda miss being able to close myt self off from my obscene attention to the sounds around me. 

Cool, very interested to hear what you think of them.

My System:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, artuc said:

The AKG do, Beyer have the custom ones which have a detachable cord, believe they're closest to DT770 but never heard them.

on amazon im seeing alot of people upsate with the Quality control on those headphones your getting. Its making me cautous

5 minutes ago, martward said:

Cool, very interested to hear what you think of them.

Im a little worried about quality control on them. Reviews on amazon say alot of bad QC.

Hmm I think I've heard that before. I'd just go for a shop where you know there are good return policies, then QC shouldn't be a huge concern. 

According to the description of this YT video, most of the QC problems should be solved.

My System:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, martward said:

Hmm I think I've heard that before. I'd just go for a shop where you know there are good return policies, then QC shouldn't be a huge concern. 

According to the description of this YT video, most of the QC problems should be solved.

Ya thats not possible. Guess ill just have to try on faith.

1 hour ago, EmoChipmonk said:

One more triple driver, m40x , akg k371, akg k361 are all better headphones than the m50x