Two 140mm fans or three 120mm fans?

lugs

I'm planning to build in the Corsair 4000D Airflow, and it can only fit 2x140mm or 3x120mm fans in the front.

Which is the better choice in terms of noise and thermals?

I'm sorry if this turns out to be basic stuff, but thanks to those who'd help! :) 

it's kind of cool with 3 fans in my opinion with A-RGB. (controlling each RGB led)

3 might move more, but 2 should be fine too?
Might depend a bit on the case as well, and with your fan setup.

Testing helps the most, so pick what you like.

Also it might depend more on the fans themselves.

Just now, Quackers101 said:

it's kind of cool with 3 fans in my opinion with A-RGB. (controlling each RGB led)

3 might move more, but 2 should be fine too?
Might depend a bit on the case as well, and with your fan setup.

Testing helps the most, so pick what you like.

By 'cool' are you referring to thermally cool or aesthetically cool?
Either way, you're right. I'll see what testing I can find for this case.

4 minutes ago, lugs said:

By 'cool' are you referring to thermally cool or aesthetically cool?
Either way, you're right. I'll see what testing I can find for this case.

On some cases, I just find the extra RGB with 3 fans in front to look a bit nicer.
more so if you already use some 120 fans else where in the case.

DO BE NOTED,

extra cables, extra RGB cables *sad face*

Edited by Quackers101

1 hour ago, lugs said:

Which is the better choice in terms of noise and thermals?

I don't think it matters that much, the quality of the fans is more important. Usually 14mm fans run quieter that 12mm fans because they soon at a lower rpm, but then again if you have 3 12mm fans they also don't have to spin very fast to get good airflow.

As long as you don't forget to also throw in some exhaust fans, you should do whatever you find aesthetically pleasing.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

8 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

extra cables, extra RGB cables *sad face*

That's why I don't want to get into that mess, at least not yet haha 

7 hours ago, martward said:

the quality of the fans is more important.

Well I'm considering Noctua, but the store in my area I trust only has either the A14 or radiator-focused fans. So I guess I'll go for the former?

2 minutes ago, lugs said:

Well I'm considering Noctua, but the store in my area I trust only has either the A14 or radiator-focused fans. So I guess I'll go for the former?

I believe, but need to disclose that I'm not too sure, that it's better to get static pressure (or radiator-focused as you called it) fans since the fans need to pull the air through the mesh. Like I said I'm not sure and I'm also not sure whether it matters that much. I personally went for the Arctic P14 PWM PST fans (my case has plastic mesh and a rather dense fan filter so I went static pressure) since they are black and white, cheap and I could daisy chain them, thereby using less fan headers than I would need otherwise. Quite happy with them, no idea how they would compare to Noctua fans though, I'd make a separate post about comparing fans and post it in an hour of 4, since I've this forum is more active then.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

3 minutes ago, lugs said:

Noctua is good. No doubt. I'm running 3 Noctuas myself but remember if you have dust filters or anything else in the way that restricts airflow you want fans with static pressure (radiator focused if you will). Corsair ML is good for that and I got 1 of those in the middle of my two Noctuas in the front to help out when the system is under high load. Most of the time however my MLs (1 topside and 1 frontside both intake) are turned off.

Looking at their specs, it seems that they are even in terms of airflow (m^3/hr) at the same RPM (140.2 * 2 = 93.4*3),

but from what I understand, the F12s will edge ahead with higher mm of H20 because I also have the case's dust filter (2.61* 3 > 2.08 *2)? 

So for just raw cooling, the F12s are better?

As for noise, I'm pretty sure adding a fan doesn't add another 20dB (right?)

Looking at Optimum Tech's videos, the F12 is a jet engine compared to the A12x25 (and presumably the A14) 😧

image.png.e95c36314cbb8efc29fa28f6d878023f.png

image.png.e5414074ca6b93af851739cf728ffea6.png

1 hour ago, lugs said:

Looking at their specs, it seems that they are even in terms of airflow (m^3/hr) at the same RPM (140.2 * 2 = 93.4*3),

but from what I understand, the F12s will edge ahead with higher mm of H20 because I also have the case's dust filter (2.61* 3 > 2.08 *2)? 

So for just raw cooling, the F12s are better?

As for noise, I'm pretty sure adding a fan doesn't add another 20dB (right?)

Looking at Optimum Tech's videos, the F12 is a jet engine compared to the A12x25 (and presumably the A14) 😧

A14 is better at moving quantities of air unrestricted but F12 will likely move more through resistance, yes. 

As for dB, it's not just about the noise volume. It's more about the percieved noise (pitch can be different). I run three Noctua NF-S12A fans and they have a very low pitch which makes them almost inaudible at anything but max speed. At max speed their pitch start to go up but if they ramp to max speed chances are that I'm gaming and then my video card fans (which have higher pitch) will deafen them anyway. At normal speed (up to around 1000 rpm) you pretty much can't hear them at all due to the pitch. 

10 hours ago, lugs said:

If you mean NF-F12's, go with NF-A14's. If you mean NF-A12x25's, they would probably be better but that's pretty expensive. 

NF-F12's have great static pressure but that's at the cost of a design that isn't as well optimized for low noise and airflow. They aren't very well suited for a ventilated front intake.

2 hours ago, lugs said:

Don't pay attention to this message, IDK how to delete posts

You can use the edit button instead of making another post or request a removal using the Report button on the post.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

You can use the edit button instead of making another post or request a removal using the Report button on the post.

Sorry about this. I realized I said something stupid after making the second post. Thanks for the fan/forum advice! :)  

2 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

As for dB, it's not just about the noise volume.

I'll try to watch some more vids of their testing then. Thank you!

20 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you mean NF-F12's, go with NF-A14's. If you mean NF-A12x25's, they would probably be better but that's pretty expensive.

Sigh, I'm an idiot. I wrongly assumed that there would be NF-A12x25 chromax editions, but I misread the A12x15 chromax model. Looking at the x25's prices, I think they'll cost way too much in my area (the Philippines, where a 3080 goes for ~1000USD), so maybe I'll relegate them to a future upgrade when Noctua releases the chromax x25 editions. 

Before then, I'll probably try to tolerate the stock fans of the case (which don't look that bad, according to GN), but if it gets too hot here in the Philippines I might get the A14s

Anyway, thanks for your help! 

9 hours ago, lugs said:

Sigh, I'm an idiot. I wrongly assumed that there would be NF-A12x25 chromax editions, but I misread the A12x15 chromax model. Looking at the x25's prices, I think they'll cost way too much in my area (the Philippines, where a 3080 goes for ~1000USD), so maybe I'll relegate them to a future upgrade when Noctua releases the chromax x25 editions. 

Before then, I'll probably try to tolerate the stock fans of the case (which don't look that bad, according to GN), but if it gets too hot here in the Philippines I might get the A14s

Anyway, thanks for your help! 

I was in favor of the noctua but till I've test them against some other fans.. The Nidec Gentle Typhoon or the Arctic P series fans are not a bad option, if you going for non argb .. as for argb fans, EK vardar evo fans are good too. I did two videos based on 120mm fans below which might interest you. 

Spoiler

these are some 120mm fans for case airflow and noise

these are some 120mm fans as radiator fans.

and the arctic P12 PWM CO - ball bearing and not fluid bearing. cheap too. https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00121A-P12-PWM-Pressure-Optimized/dp/B07GSRRHZT/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=p12+pwm+pst+co&qid=1608879161&sr=8-1