Cyberpunk is more stable on my laptop?

Zev_7
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

A 650w PSU with a 3080 can cause some issues, and if I were to guess, that would be the problem. Try to limit the power usage for the 3080 through afterburner to something like 75% and see if you still have those same issues. If that fixes it, congratulations, you need to get a new PSU. If that doesn't fix it, the answer might just be Cyberpunk is a broken game.

I have an rtx 3080 and an i7 8700 in a mid tower ATX case. But for some reason cyberpunk keeps crashing, or the framerate just drops and the game crashes occasionally. My laptop did a way better job at keeping it running (20-30fps) for hours without crashing, and even producing less heat. 

I understand that my components in my desktop PC are more power hungry than the laptop, but this desktop pc issue is becoming a problem for heat in my room. Any suggestions as to fix this as well as to have a pc that produces less heat?

PC Specs:

I7 8700

Corsair H60 AIO

Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM 16GB @2666mhz 

Corsair cx650m bronze PSU

Asus Strix H370 F motherboard 

Windows version 2004

Rtx 3080 PNY

WD SN500 

16GB intel optane m.2

2TB 3.5inch WD Black HDD

2TB 2.5inch WD Blue HDD

HP Envy Laptop specs:

I7 10750h

Hynix 16gb 2999mhz 

RTX 2060 Max-q

4K OLED 60hz 15.6inch display 

Vapor chamber cooling 

2TB Samsung 970 EVO 

500GB unamed intel NVME drive 

A 650w PSU with a 3080 can cause some issues, and if I were to guess, that would be the problem. Try to limit the power usage for the 3080 through afterburner to something like 75% and see if you still have those same issues. If that fixes it, congratulations, you need to get a new PSU. If that doesn't fix it, the answer might just be Cyberpunk is a broken game.

Like above, as using a more full version of the 3080 card, longer and maybe set to go higher and with more load to watts and for such a demanding game.

650W PSU becomes a bit too low, and are likely hitting the limit where it will crash.

While you can use an 650W PSU for that card, it's better to have a bit higher rated PSU more so for overclocking.

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

5 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

Like above, as using a more full version of the 3080 card, longer and maybe set to go higher and with more load to watts and for such a demanding game.

650W PSU becomes a bit too low, and are likely hitting the limit where it will crash.

While you can use an 650W PSU for that card, it's better to have a bit higher rated PSU more so for overclocking.

I'll look into it and see what my results are, and report it back here in a bit. But, heat is still of concern in the room. Other than increasing airflow in the room, wouldn't building a smaller pc produce less heat? Though, kind of a dumb question since wattage = heat output. 

1 minute ago, Zev_7 said:

I'll look into it and see what my results are, and report it back here in a bit. But, heat is still of concern in the room. Other than increasing airflow in the room, wouldn't building a smaller pc produce less heat? Though, kind of a dumb question since wattage = heat output. 

Depends on what you mean by smaller, to make them run cool enough there will be some more heat.
Unless you want them to run dry or undervolt them which you can do (but check a video about such before doing anything crazy)

smaller can be nice or having a lower tier GPU etc.

Your RAM is Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory (CMW16GX4M2A2666C16) - PCPartPicker ?

That RAM is not listed as being supported by your motherboard here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_STRIX-H370-F_GAMING/ROG-Strix-H370-F-GamingDRAM-QVL.PDF

I would recommend. 
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory (F4-3000C16D-16GTZR) - PCPartPicker
OR
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory (CMD32GX4M2B3000C15) - PCPartPicker 

What Case do you have (to fix the heat)?

Your PSU is running hotter than it should the 3080 requires 750W as a minimum. The higher you go in Wattage the cooler your PSU will be (assuming its an efficient and good one)

7 minutes ago, Breeksta said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077HYCZ4Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_izS4FbFMQF1EE

I have this kind of RAM, and I didnt know the RGB Vengeance pro wasn't compatible with the Asus Strix H370-F...might have to avoid purchasing them in the future if I do upgrades.

If ram compatibility was the issue, you probably would have seen issues well before now. Personally, I ran a kit of G.Skill Ripjaws V that was not on my QVL in a first gen Ryzen system (notoriously picky with ram) and it worked fine. To be fair, I got lucky, but if you have been using it for longer than 3-4 months and haven't noticed any issues besides Cyberpunk, I highly doubt that's the issue, and would hate to see you waste money on ram that would do nothing your current kit of memory cannot do. 

As for room temperatures, case size really does not correlate with the temperature of the room. Your components are generating the same amount of heat no matter what case they are in as long as they are not thermal throttling, the only thing that bigger cases allow for is better airflow allowing the components to run cooler and thus get better performance. An 011 Dynamic is a pretty decent case when it comes to airflow, as long as its filled with fans, which is what you want. As said above, the only real way to improve temperatures in your room would be to undervolt and underclock your GPU, since your CPU is locked. I really wouldn't recommend that, however, since if you don't know what you are doing, you can get some weird issues showing up. I personally would just recommend you downgrade to a 3070 if its that big a deal for you, since it would be less of a headache, and it uses less power out of the box, therefore allowing it to run cooler and heat up your room less. If you can live with the temperature, I would just stick with the 3080 and maybe reduce its power output to 90% compared to 100% to let it run cooler and not run quite as hot.

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If ram compatibility was the issue, you probably would have seen issues well before now. Personally, I ran a kit of G.Skill Ripjaws V that was not on my QVL in a first gen Ryzen system (notoriously picky with ram) and it worked fine. To be fair, I got lucky, but if you have been using it for longer than 3-4 months and haven't noticed any issues besides Cyberpunk, I highly doubt that's the issue, and would hate to see you waste money on ram that would do nothing your current kit of memory cannot do. 

As for room temperatures, case size really does not correlate with the temperature of the room. Your components are generating the same amount of heat no matter what case they are in as long as they are not thermal throttling, the only thing that bigger cases allow for is better airflow allowing the components to run cooler and thus get better performance. An 011 Dynamic is a pretty decent case when it comes to airflow, as long as its filled with fans, which is what you want. As said above, the only real way to improve temperatures in your room would be to undervolt and underclock your GPU, since your CPU is locked. I really wouldn't recommend that, however, since if you don't know what you are doing, you can get some weird issues showing up. I personally would just recommend you downgrade to a 3070 if its that big a deal for you, since it would be less of a headache, and it uses less power out of the box, therefore allowing it to run cooler and heat up your room less. If you can live with the temperature, I would just stick with the 3080 and maybe reduce its power output to 90% compared to 100% to let it run cooler and not run quite as hot.

Oh no my RAM is fine, the previous replier was confused as to what kind of RAM i was referring to that i had listed in my post. I was just saying that I should avoid the pro corsair RAM if i decide to upgrade my RAM in the future. As for the 3080, GPUs are hard to get as of present so i don't think it would be in my best interest to do so...so ill probably keep the 3080. 
But opening my window usually works, though not ideal, and i think different ways to increase the airflow in my room could benefit the temp. in here a lot. Maybe a fan window? Not sure though, as i dont want bugs racing inside my room from opening any holes to the outside.

Turning off my RGB lighting is also another heat reducer, but those ideas are as far as i think i could go but im open for any suggestions.

1 minute ago, Zev_7 said:

But opening my window usually works, though not ideal i think ways to increase the airflow in my room would benefit the temp. in here a lot. Maybe a fan window? Not sure though, as i dont want bugs racing inside my room from opening any holes to the outside.

Turning off my RGB lighting is also another heat reducer, but those ideas are as far as i think i could go but im open for any suggestions.

you could do some undervolting as previous comment, just do some small changes and if you want to mess in the BIOS for CPU or GPU.

One can buy those room AC, or get a ventelation hole with some filter and maybe install a fan to it.

4 minutes ago, Zev_7 said:

Oh no my RAM is fine, the previous replier was confused as to what kind of RAM i was referring to that i had listed in my post. I was just saying that I should avoid the pro corsair RAM if i decide to upgrade my RAM in the future. As for the 3080, GPUs are hard to get as of present so i don't think it would be in my best interest to do so...so ill probably keep the 3080. 
But opening my window usually works, though not ideal, and i think different ways to increase the airflow in my room could benefit the temp. in here a lot. Maybe a fan window? Not sure though, as i dont want bugs racing inside my room from opening any holes to the outside.

Probably the best and most effective way to reduce temps in your room would be to just get window AC unit. You can find those for about $100 new IIRC, so the price of a new case as you were considering before.

Not sure about a window AC since I still live with my parents and at least one of them complains about the electric bill since my younger brother has an ac unit since his room has no internal ac. 

My PC + TV + Window AC unit + fridge, lots of power consumption. 

Though a ventilation hole maybe more feasible since I think that'll consume less power. 

3 minutes ago, Zev_7 said:

Though a ventilation hole maybe more feasible since I think that'll consume less power. 

As much as your PC fan which is quite little, if that is what you could use.

and how long you run it, however insulation might be a bit worse, although if you get a hatch with it or another thing that will insulate more when not using.

Also it seems that lowering the power consumption limit in msi afterburner is working so far + opening the window and turning of rgb lights reduced the heat, at least, to a bearable amount. 

So guess I need a new psu + better ventilation. 

yes, afterburner is quite nice of a tool.

good that you know what to do now :)

Also hopefully not undervolting too much, that could "dry" your stuff from what it might need. if it was just a a unit or two, it's likely fine? :P