Installing 1050TI (Blank Display, but Monitor Recieves Signal)

zebra67

As the title mentions, I am currently trying to troubleshoot a 1050TI (re)Install for an older PC handed down from some family, to which I set up for a friend.. who is now giving it to another friend.

To preface the issue, this 1050TI was already installed, and working in this PC previous to the 1st friend giving the PC to the 2nd friend.

The main PC is from the good ol' DDR3 days. It has a Gigabyte FM1 socket mobo, with an AMD 6350D APU, and 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM.. 600W PSU etc etc...

When I received the PC from family some months back, I had a 1050TI lying around, getting no use. A friend was interested in PC gaming (coming from xbox) so I slapped it in there, got it going.. boom. OK Little Rig for some Overwatch, CSGO, etc..

Friend 1, has decided, since he doesn't use the PC.. he would give it to one of our other friends. I took the PC home to dust it out.. clean up all of the 1st friends personal programs/files from it, so it can be passed onto friend 2.

So far, I'm pretty sure 1st friend borked something. The PC was damn near clean slate in relation to drivers. Not sure if that was because it sat so long without use? I've never run into a situation like this, but it seems he tried to clean-house by himself; though, he denied it when asked..

To cut to the chase.. the PC displays just fine with the mobo HDMI output, using the APU to drive. When I install the 1050TI, the PC seems to react as though it has signal..meaning, my monitor doesn't claim 'no signal' etc etc.. just stays blank/black. I had tried looking through the BIOS to check for any PCIe settings that might have been lost; alas.. there are *no* PCIe settings to check with this older hardware. I've slowly iterated through the BIOS 5+ times to double-triple-quadruple check that I wasn't just overlooking something. Nada.

..and this is where I'm stuck. The discreet GPU is installed; The PC is running (can hear the HDD chattering away quietly working on background processes), yet.. still no full-display. There is signal.. my monitor displays just a slight off-black screen as if it were switching from post to windows boot logo. I have exhausted all that I can think of.. and research has done me NO good due to the numerous similar circumstances of '1050TI no display' or any iteration of that phrase to tweak my search.

I read some off chance that maybe clearing CMOS might correct this? I did clear CMOS earlier, but tbh I cannot remember if it were because of the GFX or another unrelated issue I had already solved without realizing. Idk.. I feel defeated.

Any Ideas? Any details I might be able to forward for a more accurate diagnosis?

A quick reply, if possible, would be much appreciated. Clocks-a-tickin' for me.

EDIT:

Currently trying to Houdini the driver installation. I had Geforce Experience installed previous to trying to boot (again) with 1050TI..  I had never tried to run a driver install without the hardware installed.. and when trying, it obviously failed. After knowing that just trying to start Geforce Exp. (will refer to as GE from now on) tried to detect/install drivers, I figured I could delete all of the shortcuts on desktop except for the GE shortcut.. login to windows with the spacebar tap, and 4 pin code.. then, move mouse all the way to the right of the screen..click once, then tap G on the keyboard to shortcut select GE. Hit Return/Enter.. and boom, I hear the HDD chattering away! WOO. .........I then realized there are menus to click through during the install.. and I cannot find any videos referencing this type of install. Most already have GE installed, and *not* logged in, unlike mine..where I am. So...pretty sure the install window is just sitting there waiting for me to click continue. I've tried hitting enter every 2-3 minutes or so...adding an arrow-key stroke/Tab paired with a return, here and there as a guess.. nada. Worth I shot, but did nothing. Shrug.

you could try plugging the HDMI lead from your monitor into your motherboard rather than your GPU? I'm pretty sure this would run it off of integrated graphics instead and you can leave the GPU in whilst installing and be able to see the screen. Not certain whether this would work/whether you tried this but worth a shot.

3 minutes ago, BornOrca said:

you could try plugging the HDMI lead from your monitor into your motherboard rather than your GPU? I'm pretty sure this would run it off of integrated graphics instead and you can leave the GPU in whilst installing and be able to see the screen. Not certain whether this would work/whether you tried this but worth a shot.

Unfortunately, this was my first go-to solution that didn't work. The PC seems to only want to run from the graphics card when it's installed, and will not even send signal from HDMI on the mobo with the 1050TI installed. First time I've ever ran into that, as well.. lot of firsts today. This old hunk-o-junk is filling in the gray hairs I didn't have yet.

EDIT:

I'll also add to this, that I've tried DVI (on the 1050TI) to a different monitor.. unfortunately, even though it would have made me happy to know the HDMI port was the issue..it is not. Same result.. Blank Screen Signal to monitor. I suppose I could try to Win+X U .. R to restart the PC, and try to boot with the on-board DVI instead of HDMI.. I only recently unplugged my personal DVI from my rigs 2nd monitor to check the HDMI port status.. Though, I highly doubt this solution will work with neither the on-board HDMI, DVI, or VGA....

2 minutes ago, zebra67 said:

Unfortunately, this was my first go-to solution that didn't work. The PC seems to only want to run from the graphics card when it's installed, and will not even send signal from HDMI on the mobo with the 1050TI installed. First time I've ever ran into that, as well.. lot of firsts today. This old hunk-o-junk is filling in the gray hairs I didn't have yet.

Ok, when you turn on your PC with the GPU installed, do you see the POST screen? If so you could try booting windows in safe mode. If you can't I think the best solution is to do as you said and remove the CMOS battery for around a minute, then reinstall it.

1 minute ago, BornOrca said:

Ok, when you turn on your PC with the GPU installed, do you see the POST screen? If so you could try booting windows in safe mode. If you can't I think the best solution is to do as you said and remove the CMOS battery for around a minute, then reinstall it.

No post display, either. Lol...

I suppose I'll give the CMOS reset a shot. After what I've done so far, really couldn't hurt to try.

23 minutes ago, BornOrca said:

remove the CMOS battery for around a minute, then reinstall it.

CMOS Clear did Ab-so-lute-ly nothing.

Any more ideas? Lol... Only thing I can think of is a fresh windows wipe - though, after everything I have tried I'm not feeling too confident.

You could try booting your PC without your GPU in, and entering windows recovery mode. Here you could do a system restore, and restore your system to a previous automatic backup before your friend messed with the PC. If the backups dont go that far back I suggest reinstalling windows like you said.
Hope this helped :) 

Guys !

If the CPU had a GPU built in, you need to go into bios and disable that, and set the 1050ti as the primary GPU.

Have you tried this?

3 minutes ago, The_Geek said:

Guys !

If the CPU had a GPU built in, you need to go into bios and disable that, and set the 1050ti as the primary GPU.

Have you tried this?

The bios has no option to disable the GPU portion of the APU. I mentioned in my original post I had iterated over the bios a multitude of times to 'double-triple-quadruple check' that I had not missed something. Unfortunately, I am currently running a restore point from February of this year; which I believe to be around the time I originally set the PC up for Friend 1, as mentioned above. If this doesn't do it... I'll bite the bullet, as they say, and look one last time.. But the only options available iirc, were RAM, CPU, Boot Order, etc etc... nothing to do with Integrated Graphics/APU settings.

Edited by zebra67
changed 'no' to 'not'

3 minutes ago, zebra67 said:

The bios has no option to disable the GPU portion of the APU. I mentioned in my original post I had iterated over the bios a multitude of times to 'double-triple-quadruple check' that I had not missed something. Unfortunately, I am currently running a restore point from February of this year; which I believe to be around the time I originally set the PC up for Friend 1, as mentioned above. If this doesn't do it... I'll bite the bullet, as they say, and look one last time.. But the only options available iirc, were RAM, CPU, Boot Order, etc etc... nothing to do with Integrated Graphics/APU settings.

What is the model of the MB?

1 minute ago, The_Geek said:

What is the model of the MB?

Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H

5 minutes ago, The_Geek said:

Check this out:

https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/a75md2h__a75ud4h_review/6.htm

There is a Internal Graphics Option

Hmm. I imagine you are referring to the IGX settings in the Intelligent Tweaker .. After the restore is finalized, I will look into it - assuming the restore isn't what fixes my issue.

Granted, if there is something I missed in there.. I'm glad it's not a dead GPU - this thing has only seen maybe 3-4 months total use.

... and if a 'tweaking' in the IGX category that I missed does fix it... I'm also glad that I only lost 5ish hours of windows setup time, and troubleshooting. LOL.

I'll report back; and if you're correct, will mark your post as solution.

Wish me luck. Heh

In the manual, look at Topic 2-5, it explains the working of the Internal Graphics vs Discrete Graphics card...

Check that out.... Defaults may not work and you may have to change some settings.

image.thumb.png.28850bea153631baf5e20dc1558eaca4.png

@The_Geek This looks like it most likely is the solution I was missing/overlooking. Gotta' love being frustrated, and not slowing down to think/read.

The Restore just finished - But I've got to run somewhere briefly. Again, if it does work (most likely will) I'll close the thread and mark your post as solution. Really appreciate bringing me back to the roots and showing what I missed. Sometimes the older hardware is the hardest for me to understand - I was maybe 16y/o when I built this PC for family back in the day; Obviously the APU was all they needed so I never had encountered this situation.. Oddly enough - I wonder what broke in between giving it to my friend, and him giving it back to set up for our other friend??? The GPU was essentially plug-and-play when I sent it off with him to play Overwatch/CSGO on it. Shrug. Who knows.. lol!

WELLLLLL. @The_Geek It I either misunderstood, or changing the Init Display settings in BIOS did nothing. I am getting the same result.

Monitor Connected via Onboard w/ GFX installed = no signal

Monitor Connected via GFX = blank screen/no output

This goes for each display type, other than the Display Port on the 1050TI - as well as the VGA onboard.

Mind maybe pointing out anything else I might have missed? I'm damn sure this 1050TI works. I went as far as installing it in my main rig just to see if I can get POST with it; and I do .. though, my main PC is only ~3-4y/o.

EDIT:

I'll add that W10 did auto install the AMD Drivers for the APU; is there a chance I may need to uninstall that driver to force bare-minimum on-board video driver, then switch the Init Display in BIOS to onboard? I didn't see any reason to use the PEG1, or PCI considering they are not related in this situation? PCI currently has a NIC in it, and PCIe x4 is unused.

Ok, try the PCIx4 slot, see if that works.

Another thing you can do is take out the NIC, and leave ONLY the 1050 in the PCI Slots and see if you get a different result.

If I remember I had the same board for one of my builds a long time back, and I have a feeling I had some issue with a GPU, do not remember exactly what it was though...

Other than that, see if you can get a different GPU and try that, sometimes a GPU gets cranky... I know... LOL...

Windows GPU drivers suck, so see if you can delete any drivers for GPU, use DDU so that any drivers that are there get cleaned out.

@The_Geek Will give these a shot - I did try moving the GPU to the x4 slot early in the troubleshoot, though, I left the NIC in.. Main reason being since the board is dated, I was having trouble finding a working driver for the onboard LAN - I suppose since I've now gotten everything updated, and working fine (without GPU) there wouldn't be a need to connect to the net while troubleshooting. IIRC I downloaded a stand-alone driver, instead of using Geforce Experience to handle the installation; Will report back later with results.

Appreciate you sticking around to give some pointers.. I'm usually pretty resourceful, and capable of figuring this stuff out - but sometimes after I've worked with a problem for a while, I get too frustrated to remember good troubleshoot etiquette. Causes me to try things I already tried, and forget to use variance in my methods. Lol

Here's to hoping one of these things will eventually work! Cheers.

@zebra67 Helping you resolve the issue gives me a chance to learn new things too... so this is all good.

Remember, like a doctor, there comes a time, when all you can do is say a prayer after you have done everything to fix an issue.

@The_Geek

Update - after a few day break .. I swung back to take a crack at this issue again.

I followed your tips - messed around with default boot device (PCIe x16, PCIe x4, Onboard) .. a multitude of combinations there.. /s

I then remembered I had an old GTX 460 - found a DVI to VGA adapter (don't have a DVI cable around..oddly enough), plugged her in.. worked immediately! Even without drivers installed for it. Grabbed the appropriate driver, installed.. shut down. I figured, well.. maybe now the 1050TI will fully display now? Nope. Monitor still acts as though it's receiving signal, but only displays dark/black screen. In the case that I had the default boot display set opposite of where I was trying to display from, the monitor would claim No Signal etc etc...

Currently down to the idea that either the 1050TI is dead (though, it seemed to boot fine within my main PC using the HDMI output, when I first started this 'job') or there's a problem with this cards HDMI .. again, this was used/tested in my main PC. I'm stumped. This WAS working when I gave it to the First Friend it was originally set up for. I'm stumped. I don't want to force the friend waiting for the PC into using a GTX 460 - though it would definitely match the age of the PC altogether. Not to mention, he's going to be using it with his mid-size TV, which I'm not sure has VGA capability.. will have to ask.

Any last-ditch-effort ideas?

11 hours ago, zebra67 said:

@The_Geek

Update - after a few day break .. I swung back to take a crack at this issue again.

I followed your tips - messed around with default boot device (PCIe x16, PCIe x4, Onboard) .. a multitude of combinations there.. /s

I then remembered I had an old GTX 460 - found a DVI to VGA adapter (don't have a DVI cable around..oddly enough), plugged her in.. worked immediately! Even without drivers installed for it. Grabbed the appropriate driver, installed.. shut down. I figured, well.. maybe now the 1050TI will fully display now? Nope. Monitor still acts as though it's receiving signal, but only displays dark/black screen. In the case that I had the default boot display set opposite of where I was trying to display from, the monitor would claim No Signal etc etc...

Currently down to the idea that either the 1050TI is dead (though, it seemed to boot fine within my main PC using the HDMI output, when I first started this 'job') or there's a problem with this cards HDMI .. again, this was used/tested in my main PC. I'm stumped. This WAS working when I gave it to the First Friend it was originally set up for. I'm stumped. I don't want to force the friend waiting for the PC into using a GTX 460 - though it would definitely match the age of the PC altogether. Not to mention, he's going to be using it with his mid-size TV, which I'm not sure has VGA capability.. will have to ask.

Any last-ditch-effort ideas?

From another Forum:

"You need to remove the onboard GPU drivers. Boot into Safe Mode,(F8) and remove the Video device drivers in system hardware. Turn off the comouter, and install the new GPU. Boot into Safr Mode with Internet and download load the new drivers. All GPUs support Safe Mode. You wouldn't be the first person to forget to move the monitor cable to the video card from the MB header. Your new MB is probably UEFI. if the GPU has a Legacy BIOS you will have to change some settings in BIOS. if you have a UEFI card, and UEFI MB then they should just work together. Ask your GPU tech support about this. 1050Ti come both ways. vendors seem to be clueless about this."

===

Also, I dont remember, but does the 1050 nee power directly? What is the PSU you are using?, I read someplace that it needs 75W just for itself...