Do Wireless servers exist?

Velgrim

Hello I am looking for Info. on wireless servers. Do they exist? If so what are some good ones to get. I would prefer it to have 4Tb of storage. Thx.

5 minutes ago, Velgrim said:

Hello I am looking for Info. on wireless servers. Do they exist? If so what are some good ones to get. I would prefer it to have 4Tb of storage. Thx.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So you want a nas?

Why not connect the nas to your wifi access point, and let it make it access able over wireless?

Like @Electronics Wizardy said connect your drive directly to the router, most have an USB connection that can be used that access the files from the network.

A NAS (Network Attached Storage) does exactly that but without the need for an USB connection it uses the network directly.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

7 hours ago, Velgrim said:

Something like that?

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

You are not giving us enough information to answer your question. 

Yes, "wireless servers" exist. A server is just any computer with server software on it. You could use your phone as a server if you wanted. 

What matters is the purpose of the server, and you didn't mention that. 

You need to explain these things before getting a good answer. 

1) What is the reason you want a server? What purpose does it serve?

2) What software are you going to run on it? 

3) What is your budget? 

4) Why do you want it to be wireless? 

5) What does your network look like? 

6) Where do you live so that we can check stores you're going to order from. 

So short answer, yes.

At the consumer level using wifi for a data storage server is definitely not recommended. The connections are not considered stable nor are the transfer rates. They are also subject to interference. You are always recommended to use copper or fibre if possible.

They can be used as a backup or in a pinch but again not recommended for a permanent connection. If you want to use wifi for a NAS or data storage server either use a PC/Laptop or dedicated NAS device with a wifi card. Some routers also have USB ports and support external storage functions. This would work fine if you are just looking to put some documents, photos and a few movies on it. If you are trying to store a Plex library or something I'd strongly recommend against doing it this way.

Commercial and government have a range of good solutions to deal with the wireless link problems which consumers don't really have access to at anything resembling affordable.

-> Moved to Servers and NAS

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, Loki0111 said:

Commercial and government have a range of good solutions to deal with the wireless link problems which consumers don't really have access to at anything resembling affordable. 

You got it the other way around. 

Consumer stuff can quite often use "wireless servers". Companies and governments on the other hand pretty much exclusively use copper or fiber connections to their servers. 

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You got it the other way around. 

Consumer stuff can quite often use "wireless servers". Companies and governments on the other hand pretty much exclusively use copper or fiber connections to their servers. 

In the overwhelming majority of cases, yes. But there are use cases companies and government can not use wired connections and need to be able to transfer data.

Remote locations, mobile equipment, military, etc. In a lot of those cases its cellular, fixed wireless, satellite, long range wi-fi or hardened really high capacity data storage boxes which get flown back and forth to sites. In some cases they'll use multiple overlapping options for redundancy.

Most of that stuff will not be affordable options for consumers.

7 minutes ago, Loki0111 said:

In the overwhelming majority of cases, yes. But there are use cases companies and government can not use wired connections and need to be able to transfer data.

Remote locations, mobile equipment, military, etc. In a lot of those cases its cellular, fixed wireless, satellite, long range wi-fi or hardened really high capacity data storage boxes which get flown back and forth to sites. In some cases they'll use multiple overlapping options for redundancy.

Most of that stuff will not be affordable options for consumers.

That's not for the servers though. That's for the network infrastructure. 

Nobody plugs a file server into a point to point wireless antenna to beam from one building to another. 

You plug in a point to point link to something like a switch, and then plug the server into that (with copper or fiber cables). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 6:52 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

So you want a nas?

Why not connect the nas to your wifi access point, and let it make it access able over wireless?

Kinda i just want somthing i dont have to plug directly into the router as it is in a bad spot.

On 12/21/2020 at 4:38 AM, LAwLz said:

You are not giving us enough information to answer your question. 

Yes, "wireless servers" exist. A server is just any computer with server software on it. You could use your phone as a server if you wanted. 

What matters is the purpose of the server, and you didn't mention that. 

You need to explain these things before getting a good answer. 

1) What is the reason you want a server? What purpose does it serve?

2) What software are you going to run on it? 

3) What is your budget? 

4) Why do you want it to be wireless? 

5) What does your network look like? 

6) Where do you live so that we can check stores you're going to order from. 

I'll do my best to answer as much as I can.

1. I want a serve that is separate from my pc so I can dump large coding projects into it.

2. Probably Freenas.(plz tell me if it will work).

3. Max 5k

4. because the router is in a bad spot to do a cable connection.

5. ms 22 Mbps download 62.50 Mbps upload 11.06

6. Oregon USA

10 hours ago, Velgrim said:

Kinda i just want somthing i dont have to plug directly into the router as it is in a bad spot.

The problem is wifi is slow, Id really try to put the nas near the router, you can get pretty small ones, or run the cables in your house with something like moca.

10 hours ago, Velgrim said:

I'll do my best to answer as much as I can.

1. I want a serve that is separate from my pc so I can dump large coding projects into it.

2. Probably Freenas.(plz tell me if it will work).

3. Max 5k

4. because the router is in a bad spot to do a cable connection.

5. ms 22 Mbps download 62.50 Mbps upload 11.06

6. Oregon USA

1.  how big of files? How many tb do we need? Id either add drives to your desktop, or connect the nas to your pc with ethernet directly.

What model of router do you have? The problem is wifi is slow, and gets worse with interference, and its shared, so you can't send and receive at the same time, and only one client can talk at once.

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The problem is wifi is slow, Id really try to put the nas near the router, you can get pretty small ones, or run the cables in your house with something like moca.

1.  how big of files? How many tb do we need? Id either add drives to your desktop, or connect the nas to your pc with ethernet directly.

What model of router do you have? The problem is wifi is slow, and gets worse with interference, and its shared, so you can't send and receive at the same time, and only one client can talk at once.

1. The files sizes vary from tiny up to 2gb at a time

2. 4 tb to start with.

3. I unfortunately don't have a desktop.

4..Sagecom from spectrum.

5.I only have one other person who lives an hour away who would be using it.

6.I don't have a place near my pc to which I can put the Nas.

Just now, Velgrim said:

1. The files sizes vary from tiny up to 2gb at a time

2. 4 tb to start with.

3. I unfortunately don't have a desktop.

4..Sagecom from spectrum.

5.I only have one other person who lives an hour away who would be using it.

6.I don't have a place near my pc to which I can put the Nas.

Id really just get a 4tb hdd and connect it to your laptop. I don't see a nas being super usefull for your use here, esp over wifi. You can setup network sharing on your laptop aswell if needed.

23 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id really just get a 4tb hdd and connect it to your laptop. I don't see a nas being super usefull for your use here, esp over wifi. You can setup network sharing on your laptop aswell if needed.

I am looking for something independent as I turn off my laptop every night and have to restart it multiple times a day. Also let's not forget the other user who lives about an hour away.

5 minutes ago, Velgrim said:

I am looking for something independent as I turn off my laptop every night and have to restart it multiple times a day. Also let's not forget the other user who lives about an hour away.

Id just get something like a low end synology and plug it into the router, don't bother with wifi. There small enough, space won't be a issue.

And just to clarify wired connections are out of the question.

44 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just get something like a low end synology and plug it into the router, don't bother with wifi. There small enough, space won't be a issue.

It is not size that is the problem, it is location

1 minute ago, Velgrim said:

It is not size that is the problem, it is location. Which is Why is needs to be wireless. And I need to connect someone who lives an hour away to it.

12 minutes ago, Velgrim said:

It is not size that is the problem, it is location

Can't you just put it next to the router? Its pretty small and can easily fit in the same location.

Wireless servers, woudl suck, which is why they don't really exist.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can't you just put it next to the router? Its pretty small and can easily fit in the same location.

Wireless servers, woudl suck, which is why they don't really exist.

No that is why I need wireless. as the router is in a very bad place and cant be moved.

16 minutes ago, Velgrim said:

No that is why I need wireless. as the router is in a very bad place and cant be moved.

You really can't put a small box next to the router? 

Then id get a anouther wireless router to work as a wifi bridge, and a wired nas. Or just get a laptop and use it as a nas.

13 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You really can't put a small box next to the router? 

Then id get a anouther wireless router to work as a wifi bridge, and a wired nas. Or just get a laptop and use it as a nas.

Not unless I want to stick it under the dinning table. But ok I guess I can do/try the laptop idea.

1 minute ago, Velgrim said:

Not unless I want to stick it under the dinning table. But ok I guess I can do/try the laptop idea.

Yea sticking it under the table will work fine. Or just put it under the router, the nas would be about the same size.