First time water cooling need HELP!

Omi7k

So after a few months of gathering parts customization, etc. I am hoping to be at the home stretch. 

I am currently testing my water cool loop system and well, the pump is not circulating water at all. I am sure I am doing something noobish wrong, thus why I am here. 

Looking for advise if i did something wrong with my lines. I suspect i have the gpu line going into the wrong outlet port?

Appreciate your assistance. 

wc1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Omi7k said:

So after a few months of gathering parts customization, etc. I am hoping to be at the home stretch. 

I am currently testing my water cool loop system and well, the pump is not circulating water at all. I am sure I am doing something noobish wrong, thus why I am here. 

Looking for advise if i did something wrong with my lines. I suspect i have the gpu line going into the wrong outlet port?

Appreciate your assistance. 

Hmmmm. I don't know a ton about water cooling, but my first guess would be that mounting the reservoir sideways could be causing strain on the pump in some way. Please forgive me if I am wrong, as this is just a guess.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

so I thought so as well.

1st step: I rotated the case so that the reservoir is up-right. 

no water circulation pouring water from the top. 

2nd step: rotated case as seen on picture, opened the port next to the line from GPU to reservoir and water immediately poured out ( a lot).

so I thought so as well.

1st step: I rotated the case so that the reservoir is up-right. 

no water circulation pouring water from the top. 

2nd step: rotated case as seen on picture, opened the port next to the line from GPU to reservoir and water immediately poured out ( a lot).

I'm just noticing this for the first time, but you don't have any GPU/24pin(mobo) cables plugged in. Could that be it?

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

1 minute ago, jsugarman2005 said:

I'm just noticing this for the first time, but you don't have any GPU/24pin(mobo) cables plugged in. Could that be it?

no the pump is running just fine. i have the 24pin cable capped behind the case. just powering the pump system to test for circulation and leaks. 

no the pump is running just fine. i have the 24pin cable capped behind the case. just powering the pump system to test for circulation and leaks. 

While the loop is running, try tilting around the case to get the pump filled with coolant. I believe the pump has to be completely full of coolant for it to work. Just a guess.

6 minutes ago, jsugarman2005 said:

While the loop is running, try tilting around the case to get the pump filled with coolant. I believe the pump has to be completely full of coolant for it to work. Just a guess.

Here is a picture of the case tilted to have the reservoir up-right. no circulation out. 

wc2.jpg

1 minute ago, Omi7k said:

Here is a picture of the case tilted to have the reservoir up-right. no circulation out. 

Really sorry, mate. :/

I have no idea. I would just keep trying and troubleshooting. I wish you luck!

Just now, jsugarman2005 said:

Really sorry, mate. :/

I have no idea. I would just keep trying and troubleshooting. I wish you luck!

no  worries. I thought i had flexibility with this reservoir in terms of what in/outlets to use. 

55 minutes ago, Omi7k said:

no  worries. I thought i had flexibility with this reservoir in terms of what in/outlets to use. 

From looking at the first picture and the EK manual on this pump/res combo, I think you have the wrong outlet port. Check out the manual here - page 14.

image.png.651f8de0c883d395599a2c68e3aa8db0.png

It talks about every port being an inlet except the left port being an outlet (in the group of 2 on the side), and from the first picture you posted, it looks like you've got all inlets connected only? You might be able to carefully rotate it a little and use the left port?

1 hour ago, OliTheBear said:

From looking at the first picture and the EK manual on this pump/res combo, I think you have the wrong outlet port. Check out the manual here - page 14.

image.png.651f8de0c883d395599a2c68e3aa8db0.png

It talks about every port being an inlet except the left port being an outlet (in the group of 2 on the side), and from the first picture you posted, it looks like you've got all inlets connected only? You might be able to carefully rotate it a little and use the left port?

Appreciate yah Oli, that outlet issue was the culprit. Rotated the reservoir had to rerun couple lines and now i have water circulation. 

Any advise how to get rid of the air bubbles. I am seeing lots of bubbles in the reservoir and a good sizeable one in the cpu block. 

wc3.jpg

after turning the case in all possible directions trying to add more fluid this is the best i was able to get to completely fill the reservoir. 

if any one has any suggestions to get completely filled, greatly appreciate it. 

wc4.jpg

1 hour ago, Omi7k said:

Rotated the reservoir had to rerun couple lines and now i have water circulation. 

Awesome news! Glad it works.

Any advise how to get rid of the air bubbles

There will always be air bubbles in the reservoir, but you can rotate gently the loop/case to force the big bubble away from the waterblocks into the reservoir. It will settle down eventually.

Generally I like the reservoir on a loop to be at the top as the air will naturally go that way (but I've got an old fashioned reservoir!). Perhaps you need to run the loop with the case upside down for a while to let the air rise and trap in the reservoir and top up if needed?

I've also just noticed the inlet port at the right (top?) that you might want to look at. There is an internal tube that should be connected to the inlet you are using when the reservoir is used in a vertical manner. This is so the liquid can directly drain into more liquid adding no air and the gap at the top can trap any spare air preventing it from circulating in the loop. At the moment it doesn't serve any purpose but depending on the final orientation of the reservoir, it might be useful but might not be needed.

On a side note: are you sure you have all the blocks the right way around connected? The pump is the outlet port so you're going pump -> gpu -> cpu -> radiator -> radiator. But you are going into the GPU on the outlet by the looks (not that big of a problem) and then the actual inlet goes to the (presumable) outlet of your monoblock (pretty bad, the jet plate aint doing its job and WILL impede flow).

P.S.: And your added port with the ball valve is an intake, I guess? Because it will not work properly as a drain port as it is an inlet port of the pump-res and therefore will not have much pressure pushing fluid out.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

23 hours ago, bowrilla said:

On a side note: are you sure you have all the blocks the right way around connected? The pump is the outlet port so you're going pump -> gpu -> cpu -> radiator -> radiator. But you are going into the GPU on the outlet by the looks (not that big of a problem) and then the actual inlet goes to the (presumable) outlet of your monoblock (pretty bad, the jet plate aint doing its job and WILL impede flow).

P.S.: And your added port with the ball valve is an intake, I guess? Because it will not work properly as a drain port as it is an inlet port of the pump-res and therefore will not have much pressure pushing fluid out.

Appreciate your feedback and you are 100% correct, as it was a pain in the @$$ to drain it. I will definitely take not of this as I rebuild everything back up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 7:04 AM, Arcadiarenderer said:

I like the all white look. 
could you share what components you used please. Thanks

EK-Momentum Aorus Z390 Master D-RGB - Plexi (CPU Block)
EK-Quantum Vector RTX RE Ti D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi (GPU Block)

EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5 PWN D-RGB Acetal. ( sprayed white)

EK-CryoFuel Solid Azure Blue 

EK-Loop Vertical GPU Holder (sprayed white)

EK-UNI Pump bracket Vertical

Bitspower fittings

Alphacool Eisrohr 16/13mm plexi (PMMA) HardTube

On 12/20/2020 at 11:00 PM, Omi7k said:

after turning the case in all possible directions trying to add more fluid this is the best i was able to get to completely fill the reservoir. 

Please don't completely fill the system - you need air in the reservoir. Water is not compressible, so if you do somehow eliminate all air, you'll enjoy some epic flooding when it heats up...