cpu-z shows 2 of my cores as red, what does that mean? And how accurate are cpu-z benchmarks? screenshots included

My cpu is the i7 9800x, what do the red cores mean?

6ub5Ymp.png

Also, how accurate are cpu-z benchmarks? According to it, my cpu has a better singlecore rating than the 8700k, even though I have seen the opposite in other benchmarks like passmark. Singlecore is useful for gaming right? does that mean my cpu is actually a bit better for gaming then the 8700k?

uIy0BIR.png

What are the temps, those cores seem to be thermal throttling

8 minutes ago, superfantastic said:

Also, how accurate are cpu-z benchmarks? According to it, my cpu has a better singlecore rating than the 8700k, even though I have seen the opposite in other benchmarks like passmark. Singlecore is useful for gaming right? does that mean my cpu is actually a bit better for gaming then the 8700k?

Look at gaming benchmarks to see how fast it is in games as single threaded per != gaming perf. But the 9800x isn't a bad chip in games.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are the temps, those cores seem to be thermal throttling

Look at gaming benchmarks to see how fast it is in games as single threaded per != gaming perf. But the 9800x isn't a bad chip in games.

They are idling and usually under 40C when doing so. Max temp I've seen is 81 under a stress test. All cores seem to hit 4.4GHz when gaming or doing such a test and I've never seen them go above 81C so I really don't think that it means thermal throttling. I wish people would include explanations for what these things means in the program itself. Like, when I hover over the red ones, open a tooltip to tell me what it means. Would help so, so much. Now I have to ask around and nobody seems to know....

Also, do you know a good gaming benchmark? Where I could purely test the cpu? My cpu is kinda unpopulair and benchmarks are hard to find so I'll have to do them myself

6 minutes ago, superfantastic said:

They are idling and usually under 40C when doing so. Max temp I've seen is 81 under a stress test. All cores seem to hit 4.4GHz when gaming or doing such a test and I've never seen them go above 81C so I really don't think that it means thermal throttling. I wish people would include explanations for what these things means in the program itself. Like, when I hover over the red ones, open a tooltip to tell me what it means. Would help so, so much. Now I have to ask around and nobody seems to know....

Also, do you know a good gaming benchmark? Where I could purely test the cpu? My cpu is kinda unpopulair and benchmarks are hard to find so I'll have to do them myself

TBM3 is active on those cores.

https://www.cpuid.com/news/54-cpu-z-1-80-with-core-x-support.html

Edit: Adding more info

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-max-technology.html

It's speeding up what the CPU says is your best cores to help with the extra load.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, superfantastic said:

Look up reviews of the 9800x and tests in games, there are a reasonble amount of reviews out there. Also the 10900x and 7900x are basically the same, so look at revies of those aswell.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-7900x/13.html

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Look up reviews of the 9800x and tests in games, there are a reasonble amount of reviews out there. Also the 10900x and 7900x are basically the same, so look at revies of those aswell.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-7900x/13.html

I can't find any such benchmarks on my cpu, besides 2 or 3 weird shady youtube videos

4 minutes ago, superfantastic said:

I can't find any such benchmarks on my cpu, besides 2 or 3 weird shady youtube videos

Did you look at the link? The 7th gen 7820x is almost the same as your chip and will preform within a few percent of it https://www.anandtech.com/show/11550/the-intel-skylakex-review-core-i9-7900x-i7-7820x-and-i7-7800x-tested

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Did you look at the link? The 7th gen 7820x is almost the same as your chip and will preform within a few percent of it https://www.anandtech.com/show/11550/the-intel-skylakex-review-core-i9-7900x-i7-7820x-and-i7-7800x-tested

Thank you for taking the time to look up some reviews. I appreciate it. But it's just not what I'm looking for. This second link seems pretty useless, unless I'm really blind. They are not talking about performance at all, though at the end they say that they will look at benchmarks but then the comments already show so  idk... is half the review missing or something?

The first link is more useful, but damn. I just want a review on my actual cpu, not another one even if it's almost identical. I'm  currently looking around once more but it's a struggle. I am sad this is my cpu, but it's a lesson hard learned. I will never buy something like this again. Next time I upgrade my cpu I will go for a populair, well tested cpu that's made for gaming.

10 minutes ago, superfantastic said:

Thank you for taking the time to look up some reviews. I appreciate it. But it's just not what I'm looking for. This second link seems pretty useless, unless I'm really blind. They are not talking about performance at all, though at the end they say that they will look at benchmarks but then the comments already show so  idk... is half the review missing or something?

The first link is more useful, but damn. I just want a review on my actual cpu, not another one even if it's almost identical. I'm  currently looking around once more but it's a struggle. I am sad this is my cpu, but it's a lesson hard learned. I will never buy something like this again. Next time I upgrade my cpu I will go for a populair, well tested cpu that's made for gaming.

What performance do you see in games? The cpu is pretty good for games, but not the best anymore. It should play basically every new games well. 

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What performance do you see in games? The cpu is pretty good for games, but not the best anymore. It should play basically every new games well. 

I think it's being held back by my gpu the gtx 1070, as it's always at 98/99% in newer games. But I have no idea if that's actually what that means. The reason I'm so worried about my cpu's performance is because I want to upgrade my gpu to a 3070 or 3080 but I have no way of knowing if my cpu will bottleneck those cards hard. Will a 10700k paired with a 3080 produce 20% more frames at 1080p for example? I do not know, and I need to know because I would like to play as many games as possible at 144 frames per second. (also I can't help but worrying a lot about mundane things, it's complicated but I'm in therapy)

Just now, superfantastic said:

I think it's being held back by my gpu the gtx 1070, as it's always at 98/99% in newer games. But I have no idea if that's actually what that means. The reason I'm so worried about my cpu's performance is because I want to upgrade my gpu to a 3070 or 3080 but I have no way of knowing if my cpu will bottleneck those cards hard. Will a 10700k paired with a 3080 produce 20% more frames at 1080p for example? I do not know, and I need to know because I would like to play as many games as possible at 144 frames per second. (also I can't help but worrying a lot about mundane things, it's complicated but I'm in therapy)

Yea your probably gpu limited now. That cpu should handle a 3070 or 3080 just fine, so I wouldn't worry about a gpu upgrade, that cpu should handle most games at 144fps just fine.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea your probably gpu limited now. That cpu should handle a 3070 or 3080 just fine, so I wouldn't worry about a gpu upgrade, that cpu should handle most games at 144fps just fine.

alright, thank you :)