Trying to decide what to update first.

Tetsuyaguy

Best bang for the buck for this system.  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Best bang for the buck for this system.

• Upgrade graphics card first
    • Upgrade CPU and MOBO first

Budget (including currency): $700.00

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Civilization 6, etc...

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Currently running

Motherboard: Crosshair VI Hero

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: GTX 1080

Power Supply: EVGA Super Nova 850W 80+ Platinum

Moniter: Acer 1440p 34in Ultrawide (21:9) 75hz

I can play the games I want to play, but not on the settings (sometimes the resolution) that I want to.  I have about $700 to upgrade, and I'm not sure which trigger to pull first.  I'll have more around the same amount to spend in 4-6 months.  I'm convinced that the 3000 series Nvidia cards are capable of driving my monitor on settings I'm looking to use, but I'm concerned about it just sitting around doing nothing, while it waits for my first gen Ryzen.  At the same time, I don't want to spend money upgrading to the new generation of CPUs first, if there isn't really any more frames to be had from my 1080.

Does anyone have any insight on which upgrade will give the most benefit first?  RTX 3000 series, or 3000/5000 series Ryzen?

Edited by Tetsuyaguy
Forgot the refresh rate of the monitor

3 minutes ago, Tetsuyaguy said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Civilization 6, etc...

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Currently running

Moniter: Acer 1440p 34in Ultrawide (21:9)

I can play the games I want to play, but not on the settings (sometimes the resolution) that I want to.  I have about $700 to upgrade, and I'm not sure which trigger to pull first.  I'll have more around the same amount to spend in 4-6 months.  I'm convinced that the 3000 series Nvidia cards are capable of driving my monitor on settings I'm looking to use, but I'm concerned about it just sitting around doing nothing, while it waits for my first gen Ryzen.  At the same time, I don't want to spend money upgrading to the new generation of CPUs first, if there isn't really any more frames to be had from my 1080.

Does anyone have any insight on which upgrade will give the most benefit first?  RTX 3000 series, or 3000/5000 series Ryzen?

Your graphics card is still really good right now. Your CPU is alright for the demanding games nowadays so if anything, I would upgrade the CPU first. You should keep the motherboard and just upgrade your CPU to expand your budget. Since you had a budget for a new mobo and CPU, I would go with the 7 3700X or maybe even the slightly cheaper 5 3600X. The 7 3800X is an option too.

7 minutes ago, Tetsuyaguy said:

Moniter: Acer 1440p 34in Ultrawide (21:9)

Wait, is the $700 budget for the upgrade(s) or the whole PC build itself?

Ryzen 5 3600 non x, middle of the road b550 motherboard.  Save the rest and add to the pot as you can and get a 3070 when one shows up. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

15 hours ago, Hz Eurythmic said:

Wait, is the $700 budget for the upgrade(s) or the whole PC build itself?

The $700 is for this upgrade.