GPU repaste (first time)

MrConcrete04

Hello world,

In my rig I have had an EVGA NVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti SSC since the beginning (when I built the PC about 5 years ago). I'm not doing it cos I have to but because I want to and I feel like the card deserves it (and I have some spare thermal paste). I have repasted countless laptops and even phones in the past but I have never had to take a graphics card apart. I've seen youtubers do it but I just wanted to ask if there is anything to watch out for?

Thank You

e.

5 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

To begin with I will say 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

But if you really want to repaste your GPU then make sure to disconnect the fan and plug it back in after assembly.

In this particular card there seems to be nothing special to look out for.

Yea yea I know that saying but then again I like taking things apart, thx

I mean keep all the screws organised, make sure you know where everything goes, don't poke off any of the SMDs,
don't over/under torque the cooler, don't use conductive paste, be careful with the thermal pads.

I could go on but you'll probably figure it out. It's not too hard tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Organisation and patience, make sure you know where all your screws go is the most important point, I believe, as a new layer of thermal paste will be useless if you can't put your card back together.

As for the re-paste itself, I've re-pasted my own Asus Dual GTX 1060 using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (a non-conductive paste) and I used around a pea size, but slightly smaller than what a CPU would get,. as the die is noticeably smaller than a CPU heatspreader.

As a final note, if you're not seeing concerning temperatures, it's probably not worth the risk unless your card is extremely easy to disassemble. Be patient and careful if you proceed.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

6 minutes ago, sowon said:

Organisation and patience, make sure you know where all your screws go is the most important point, I believe, as a new layer of thermal paste will be useless if you can't put your card back together.

As for the re-paste itself, I've re-pasted my own Asus Dual GTX 1060 using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (a non-conductive paste) and I used around a pea size, but slightly smaller than what a CPU would get,. as the die is noticeably smaller than a CPU heatspreader.

As a final note, if you're not seeing concerning temperatures, it's probably not worth the risk unless your card is extremely easy to disassemble. Be patient and careful if you proceed.

I have the same paste lol, its the screws Im worried about, thx

23 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I mean keep all the screws organised, make sure you know where everything goes, don't poke off any of the SMDs,
don't over/under torque the cooler, don't use conductive paste, be careful with the thermal pads.

I could go on but you'll probably figure it out. It's not too hard tbh

thx mate