Should I upgrade my CPU?

I was thinking about upgrading my cpu since it's a little weak for what I want, I'm currently looking at either an i9 10900k, r9 5950x or a Rocket lake cpu coming in 2021. 

I currently have an i7 8700k, is it worth upgrading or should I stick with what I have? I already have a 3080 so I don't need to upgrade my gpu & I probably won't be upgrading my cpu for a while even after the rocket lake release. 

I would just stick with what you have for right now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

I would just stick with what you have for right now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

I know but it just seems weak, from what I see in some games the i9 gets over 50fps more than my i7 

Just now, CheeseGod said:

I know but it just seems weak, from what I see in some games the i9 gets over 50fps more than my i7 

Are you overclocking at all? What are your temperatures and utilizations in games? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Assuming you have a good cooling solution and enough power headroom left in your PSU, you should try overclocking your 8700K. It's definitely gonna keep your current CPU going for another couple of years.

Officially, you are definitely CPU bottlenecked.  Realistically, I really don't think its worth it nor will you see much of the gains that I think you're looking for.  A lot of times I have to stop myself from going into the perpetual cycle of constantly upgrading to the latest hardware to unlock the full potential of hardware I currently have but unfortunately, one thing will always drag something else down. (I'm sure you know all this, but for newer PC users to reference if they were to come across this)

24 minutes ago, CheeseGod said:

I was thinking about upgrading my cpu since it's a little weak for what I want, I'm currently looking at either an i9 10900k, r9 5950x or a Rocket lake cpu coming in 2021. 

I currently have an i7 8700k, is it worth upgrading or should I stick with what I have? I already have a 3080 so I don't need to upgrade my gpu & I probably won't be upgrading my cpu for a while even after the rocket lake release. 

wait, you will know when its the time to upgrade.. i would wait for 2022 or 2023 (thats my choice, no offence to anyone.). if you would like to see some more performance, you may overclock. unless its broken or there are major thermal issues!

hey! i know to use a computer

26 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Are you overclocking at all? What are your temperatures and utilizations in games? 

100% cpu utilization in most games no matter the settings. 62c average. 

Edit: I was wrong, its min71 max 87 in cyberpunk 

1 minute ago, CheeseGod said:

100% cpu utilization in most games no matter the settings. 62c average. 

Sounds like you can overclock that chip if temps are that low. What are the clocks like? 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Sounds like you can overclock that chip if temps are that low. What are the clocks like? 

No I was wrong min 71c max 87 

No I was wrong min 71c max 87 

Oh ok then...Have you changed your thermal paste recently? CPU cooler properly tightened?

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Oh ok then...Have you changed your thermal paste recently? CPU cooler properly tightened?

whats his cooler?

No, It has the same thermal paste and I've had it since November 2018. I've never removed the cpu cooler. 

Just now, hirusha.adikari said:

whats his cooler!

I have a dark rock pro 4 

No, It has the same thermal paste and I've had it since November 2018. I've never removed the cpu cooler. 

re apply the thermal paste and re install the cooler!

whats his cooler?

According to his profile , be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. 

Was it a decent thermal paste? 

I have a dark rock pro 4 

re apply thermal paste and re install the cooler, thats some bad temps with dark rock pro 4 

It was thermal grizzly kryonaut thermal paste. 

Time for a repaste and cleaning if you haven't done it in awhile...

re apply thermal paste and re install the cooler, thats some bad temps with dark rock pro 4 

^^This

Time for a repaste and cleaning if you haven't done it in awhile...

^^This

What should I do if I still get the same Temps despite cleaning and reapplying paste? I've never done it before. 

2 minutes ago, hirusha.adikari said:

dark rock pro 4 is almost in tie and better than the corsair h100i (even quitter, so that kind of temps are very bad)

What should I do if I still get the same Temps despite cleaning and reapplying paste? I've never done it before. 

that should fix it!

dark rock pro 4 is almost in tie and better than the corsair h100i (even quitter, so that kind of temps are very bad)

Do high Temps affect performance a whole lot or is it minimal? Im just curious

I'm planning on doing my first ever pc build and i was wondering if this is a good start Ryzen 5 3600 with a MSI X570 Gaming edge wifi. still looking to see what type of graphics card(amd or nvidia) to get so i can run games at 1080p or higher. haven't choosen a power supply, ram, cpu cooler and ssd(either m.2 or 2.5 in). 

Do high Temps affect performance a whole lot or is it minimal? Im just curious

Yes, after a certain threshold, this will lead to thermal throttling where the CPU will downclock and reduce voltages in order to stop temperatures from climbing.