Trying to improve performance (latency, responsiveness, etc.) of wireless computer peripherals

dafattman

Hey folks,

I'm new here. I believe I've identified an issue with some wireless peripherals I have such as my Razer Nari Ultimate and my Xbox One controller with PC wireless dongle. The biggest issue that I have had or noticed is that the Xbox controller will intermittently just seemingly stop sending inputs to the PC. It will eventually return to normal functionality but I perceive it as though the wireless handshake between the dongle and the controller just drops and they have to renegotiate it. I've recently been made aware by happenstance that USB 3.x ports introduce interference in the 2.4Ghz spectrum. My question(s) are, is there a way to know if the manufacturer of a Motherboard/Case/any type of USB 3.x interface has done anything to mitigate this issue unless it has been explicitly stated? Also, what can I do as an average user to improve my existing wireless peripheral experience? Am I supposed to use USB 2.0 for everything beyond when bandwidth is necessary, or am I supposed to plug my wireless receivers/dongles into USB ports as physically far away from USB 3.x ports? In y'all's anecdotal experience does buying shielded cables help to mitigate this issue in a tangible/significant enough way to justify added cost?

All that to say I just want my controller to not drop while I'm getting absolutely Shrekt in Monster Hunter on PC. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to look at this and either drop just raw information or suggestions. 

Thanks!

I think so - for now.

I had troubles with using a Switch Pro controller with my PC + USB Bluetooth dongle and discovered that if I plugged it into a USB 3 port, it wouldn't work, but if I used USB 2, it did.

Using USB 3 didn't affect it though.

This might be due to the fact that my USB dongle uses Bluetooth 1.x, 2.x, or 3.x (not sure which).

elephants

1 hour ago, dafattman said:

Hey folks,

I'm new here. I believe I've identified an issue with some wireless peripherals I have such as my Razer Nari Ultimate and my Xbox One controller with PC wireless dongle. The biggest issue that I have had or noticed is that the Xbox controller will intermittently just seemingly stop sending inputs to the PC. It will eventually return to normal functionality but I perceive it as though the wireless handshake between the dongle and the controller just drops and they have to renegotiate it. I've recently been made aware by happenstance that USB 3.x ports introduce interference in the 2.4Ghz spectrum. My question(s) are, is there a way to know if the manufacturer of a Motherboard/Case/any type of USB 3.x interface has done anything to mitigate this issue unless it has been explicitly stated? Also, what can I do as an average user to improve my existing wireless peripheral experience? Am I supposed to use USB 2.0 for everything beyond when bandwidth is necessary, or am I supposed to plug my wireless receivers/dongles into USB ports as physically far away from USB 3.x ports? In y'all's anecdotal experience does buying shielded cables help to mitigate this issue in a tangible/significant enough way to justify added cost?

All that to say I just want my controller to not drop while I'm getting absolutely Shrekt in Monster Hunter on PC. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to look at this and either drop just raw information or suggestions. 

Thanks!

Usb cables should be shielded by default, unless its power only. If the device doesn't support usb 3.0 there's no reason to put it on as it will still be 2.0 speed and latency.

@dafattman

Bluetooth peripherals operate on the 2.4GHz frequency, so if your area has a lot of devices wirelessly connected to 2.4GHz signals (yes, including WiFi!), you will get interference.

I have heard about USB 3 and Thunderbolt causing WiFi/Bluetooth interference, especially if the cables aren't properly shielded.

To avoid these problems, limit the number of devices connecting onto your 2.4GHz WiFi radio, use properly shielded USB 3 and Thunderbolt cables, make sure that your Bluetooth adapter is connected to a USB 2 port and is not in close proximity to any USB3/TB/WiFi devices. Some time ago I encountered a similar problem, but got around it with using a USB extension cable (male-to-female) into which I plugged the BT adapter so that it was closer to the front of the PC where I used my controller.