Can anyone tell me what might be the cause of this?

Strixyn

My Pixel 5 everyone! Woke up yesterday morning to this.

I've never seen anything like this before. Does anyone know what could have caused this? Digitizer borked? Partially slipped off ribbon cable inside? How difficult would this be to repair? (I've replaced a couple screens in the past).

tldr; Yes, I paid for the extra warranty with Bell and lo', here I am.

If this was an iPhone it would be fix by now.
/rant

PXL_20201209_162521608.jpg

7 minutes ago, Strixyn said:

If this is was an iPhone it would be fix by now.

Uhh... that's debatable... like really debatable. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I would be up to having that debate in a separate thread.

3 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

What’s the issue exactly? Can’t see clearly from the picture

I'm new here. Is this a common thing? I don't even know what to search for so I apologize if this is a common thing. The bright white "racing stripe" would be a cool feature if it went away. Alas, it does not. The screen is not cracked. The phone isn't damaged. I'm at a loss to explain it and therefore at a loss as to how to repair it.

14 minutes ago, Strixyn said:

I'm new here. Is this a common thing? I don't even know what to search for so I apologize if this is a common thing. The bright white "racing stripe" would be a cool feature if it went away. Alas, it does not. The screen is not cracked. The phone isn't damaged. I'm at a loss to explain it and therefore at a loss as to how to repair it.

The artifacting looks a bit like a reflection of ceiling lights at first glance, so I'm assuming that's what they thought it was.

24 minutes ago, Strixyn said:

I thought it was lights or some reflection. Better contact google if you still have warranty.

28 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

iPhone support has been good in my experience. My iPhone 11 had some dust in the camera lens, it was a same day or 1 day repair time from what I remember, and my warranty made it so it was free. Also my Xr had a WiFi issue that they knew of, but couldn't really fix so I just got a replacement in the Apple Store.

44 minutes ago, Strixyn said:

My Pixel 5 everyone! Woke up yesterday morning to this.

I've never seen anything like this before. Does anyone know what could have caused this? Digitizer borked? Partially slipped off ribbon cable inside? How difficult would this be to repair? (I've replaced a couple screens in the past).

tldr; Yes, I paid for the extra warranty with Bell and lo', here I am.

If this was an iPhone it would be fix by now.
/rant

PXL_20201209_162521608.jpg

Has anything put pressure on that part of the screen? Should be fixed under warranty 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

30 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Has anything put pressure on that part of the screen? Should be fixed under warranty 

Not that I can recall. I have it in a Moment case that's pretty heavy duty. It lives in a wireless charger. I work from (and stay at) home with carpeted floors. I'm sure I've dropped my phone once or twice, but who hasn't? 

Update: I reached out to Google. The have agreed to warranty the device directly because I can't get any warranty assistance from my provider (to whom I pay an extra $14/mo for extended warranty). Google has sent me an RMA and a tracking number. I will wipe my phone and send it in. Then they will send me a replacement (likely a refurbished one which sucks).The process with my provider would have been the same. Anyway you look at it I'm without a phone for 2 weeks.

The Apple warranty experience with Apple Care (which costs $120 up front instead of $14/mo x 24 months) is different. You book an appointment at an Apple store down the street; usually for the next day. They repair it or replace at that time. You're without a phone for about a day. That might not be the experience everyone has had with their iPhone, but it is the experience my wife and I have had. I am not here to be an iPhone fanboy. I don't like Apple, period. I got screwed over buying a Macbook Air 2020.

I have to ask, does any cellphone provider (in Canada) offer the same kind of warranty experience for Android phones that Apple does, because I will switch providers today if there is.