Two Networks, one ethernet cable

scottiecb19

Hi,

I have two separate networks in my house, one for my TV Satellite set-up, and one for the 'rest' of the house. Signal strength from one side of the house ot the other is weak on either network (running different channels etc), reducing it down to a single network makes no difference but does create problems for the TV setup, which prefers it's own network. 

I have a single Cat5e cable running from one side of the house to the other, I was wondering if there was any way I could use this for both networks at the same time, but keeping both networks separate. I doubt either network combined would max out the speed of the cable, so this shouldn't be an issue. From my old Uni days, I remember phone companies using multiplexers to achieve something like this, but my search for a domestic implementation have been fruitless.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

It could be done using a smart-managed switch at each end, putting at least one of the networks on a VLAN.

The complication is if you want a single client to access both, you'd need to be able to do VLANs on that client or use two NICs and assign different ports on the switch for different networks.

Any idea why it prefers its own network as that seems an unnecessary complication?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Any idea why it prefers its own network as that seems an unnecessary complication?

If its anyhting like over here, its just and only to do with DRM... :(

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

The cable can do it. But can the hardware at each end? What devices are you running?

For PC you can easily just assign a secondary IP.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

I agree it's annoying, but I've tried it twice and Sky boxes wouldn't work and the (Asus AX92U's) routers I had on the main network kept dropping the internet connection. It's a bit of a strange setup, but I've got the Sky Router on the broadband in, with one network set up from that for the Sky TV and mini-boxes. Then I have a cable to the WAN port on the Asus routers, creating a second network for all my other devices. I have a few smart devices round the house, and the Sky equipment couldn't cope with them (even Sky agreed this to be the case and recommended better routers). But the signal across the far side of the house isn't great, and rather than spend another £200 on another Asus router, I wondered if I could piggyback on a hardlined ethernet connection Sky are to put in for me.

I feel I know the answer, but it was worth a shot.

5 hours ago, scottiecb19 said:

I agree it's annoying, but I've tried it twice and Sky boxes wouldn't work and the (Asus AX92U's) routers I had on the main network kept dropping the internet connection. It's a bit of a strange setup, but I've got the Sky Router on the broadband in, with one network set up from that for the Sky TV and mini-boxes. Then I have a cable to the WAN port on the Asus routers, creating a second network for all my other devices. I have a few smart devices round the house, and the Sky equipment couldn't cope with them (even Sky agreed this to be the case and recommended better routers). But the signal across the far side of the house isn't great, and rather than spend another £200 on another Asus router, I wondered if I could piggyback on a hardlined ethernet connection Sky are to put in for me.

I feel I know the answer, but it was worth a shot.

If they still have to pull the cable, buy enough length of Cat6 cable. And ask them really nicely to add it to their cable. Should be about the same amount of work, besides the 10 minutes of pleading. :P

8 hours ago, scottiecb19 said:

Hi,

I have two separate networks in my house, one for my TV Satellite set-up, and one for the 'rest' of the house. Signal strength from one side of the house ot the other is weak on either network (running different channels etc), reducing it down to a single network makes no difference but does create problems for the TV setup, which prefers it's own network. 

I have a single Cat5e cable running from one side of the house to the other, I was wondering if there was any way I could use this for both networks at the same time, but keeping both networks separate. I doubt either network combined would max out the speed of the cable, so this shouldn't be an issue. From my old Uni days, I remember phone companies using multiplexers to achieve something like this, but my search for a domestic implementation have been fruitless.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

with a managed switch and then vlans you can add as many different networks as you want

but those are expensive

currently rocking 

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 32 GB of corsair vengeance RGB ram and hoping to get my 6800XT soon!!!!

On 12/9/2020 at 8:51 PM, HanZie82 said:

If they still have to pull the cable, buy enough length of Cat6 cable. And ask them really nicely to add it to their cable. Should be about the same amount of work, besides the 10 minutes of pleading. :P

That was my other thought, and probably what I'll end up doing. Might even offer a festive biscuit as a persuasive measure!

On the cable, do you recommend Cat6 over 5e? I'm adding a third Asus AX92U, which can use ethernet backhaul instead of the AX channel, just wondering if I should do this?

4 hours ago, scottiecb19 said:

On the cable, do you recommend Cat6 over 5e?

Whatever you can get cheapest, differences between those are not that much.

Cat5e can do like 30 metres on gigabit and Cat6 100. If im not mistaken.

(the longer the cable the bigger the antenna the more interference the less speed you can get. If that makes sense)

Edited by HanZie82
edited lengths to better represent real world data. :)

6 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Whatever you can get cheapest, differences between those are not that much.

Cat5e can do like 30 metres on gigabit and Cat6 100. If im not mistaken.

(the longer the cable the bigger the antenna the more interference the less speed you can get. If that makes sense)

Incorrect. Cat5e is fully rated for gigabit at 100m. RJ45, per the spec, cannot go beyond 100m without a repeater by design.

You will get the same gigabit at 1m as you will at 100m.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: