Tutorial on Running Windows with 2 GPUS, non SLI?

mikegray

Hey guys - 

Can someone point me to a practical tutorial on running Windows with two GPUs?

I've been running a 1080 ti with a custom water block since 2017. (More information about my current setup in my sig file!)

I picked up a couple extra contracts this fall and decided to splurge my extra cash on a 3090 for several big games I intend to enjoy, and some of the heavier video editing I do. I originally intended to sell the 1080 ti - only, I don't think I'm going to get much for it, PARTICULARLY with a waterblock. (A new, high-end card with a pre-installed waterblock is worth a premium. An old card with a waterblock is a nuisance.)

Instead, I'm thinking that I might continue to run my system MAINLY off the 1080 ti and let the 3090 generate a little extra cash by running nicehash - or generate a little less Corona misery by running folding@home. When I want to game, I'd switch to the new GPU and let it do its thing. 

It's even winter here in Switzerland, so the heat output wouldn't be wasted.

I'm pretty sure my system is up to this, but it would be nice to have a look at a tutorial. I wondering about practical things - like, which cables, which PCIE slots, what bios settings, how much PSU (I have 1000 watts and access to 1200.)

Spoiler

PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24GB / OS: Windows 11 / Screen: Samsung CRG9 (5120 x 1440) / Case: DIY Bench built custom into a a cabinet / Case Fans: 4x BeQuiet Magicool 140mm Pure Wings / Rad: Magicool 180 Triple / Pump: Aquastream XT / Res: Aquacomputer aqualis PRO 450ml / CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clear Acetal / GPU Blocks: Bykski N-GV1080TIG1-X with VRAM Cooling via B-3090TC-X Water Block

Just now, mikegray said:

Hey guys - 

Can someone point me to a practical tutorial on running Windows with two GPUs?

I've been running a 1080 ti with a custom water block since 2017. (More information about my current setup in my sig file!)

I picked up a couple extra contracts this fall and decided to splurge my extra cash on a 3090 for several big games I intend to enjoy, and some of the heavier video editing I do. I originally intended to sell the 1080 ti - only, I don't think I'm going to get much for it - PARTICULARLY with a waterblock. (A new, high-end card with a pre-installed waterblock is worth a premium. An old card with a waterblock is a nuisance.)

Instead, I'm thinking that I might continue to run my system MAINLY of the 1080 ti and let the 3090 generate a little extra cash by running nicehash - or generate a little less Corona misery by running folding@home. When I want to game, I'd switch to the new GPU and let it do its thing. 

I'm pretty sure my system is up to this, but it would be nice to have a look at a tutorial ...

*gentle cough*

Getting Windows to run with two GPU's non-SLI is pretty Plug'n'Play. Pop em in, plug in a display (or don't if for compute) and it works.

Where you're going to run into trouble is getting the software to not use a given GPU when you want to use it for your games. That may require some tinkering.

Running two GPUs in a system for compute is pretty straightforward, but switching between them for actual display output is not super easy. What I'd probably do is just fold/hash on both when you're not gaming, generally those type of tasks are set to a lower priority than the OS so you shouldn't need to worry about general-use performance too much. While folding on my 1070 I barely see any difference in system responsiveness.

Well gpu mining is a net loss but folding is as simple as say gpu x has to run it. However whichever gpu is in the top slot will be used as the main gpu in windows so you would have to constantly switch every program when you wanna use the 1080 or the 3090.

The 1080ti still sells for around 350 and with a waterblock AND the og aircooler can be a very wanted object

I think the a problem may come with hardware output. The cable to the monitor.

I would say don't bother with the hassle. Keep it simple.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

chances are that you can get 300-350 bucks for a waterblocked 1080ti without the original cooler, switching between multiple installed gpus is difficult from a software point of view and will be more hassle than it's worth. 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D