Microsoft Account vs Local Account - Windows 10

Strayan_Hades

Hi,

So I'm just wanting to know how the online Microsoft account works like what data it really backups and user preferences and setting?

Does this also require a cloud subscription to Microsoft one drive to get the most out of it.

Because honestly I dont use One drive I prefer Google backup and sync.

Any other key benefits I'm missing here?

Windows key gets synced to your microsoft account if you sign in with that is another benefit.

You only need OneDrive subscription if you want to backup more than 15GB of data, otherwise no.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Strayan_Hades said:

Hi, So I'm just wanting to know how the online Microsoft account works like what data it really backups and user preferences and setting?

Does this also require a cloud subscription to Microsoft one drive to get the most out of it.

Because honestly I dont use One drive I prefer Google backup and sync.

Any other key benefits I'm missing here?

Microsoft, Apple, and Google have all been pushing toward everyone signing in with a Microsoft, iCloud, or Gmail account for the last 10-15 years, so it's not like this is something new, and there are indeed benefits to cloud based services, but only you can decide what's best for you.

The following article explains in more detail the differences between a Local account and a Microsoft account.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/should-you-use-local-or-microsoft-account-windows-10/

I personally use many of Microsoft's services, such as OneNote, Hotmail, and some aspects of the Windows Store (even though UWP store apps & games are mostly complete garbage), so it makes sense to log into my PCs using a Microsoft account so that everything can sync between the PCs.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

well I can only tell you that in my opinion signing into windows with a ms account has more disadvantages than advantages as it makes windows more sluggish since it sends more data "home" (alledgely) and it also makes you more dependent on ms, the advantages like having your settings and windows keys backed up are more or less snake oil. 

On 12/6/2020 at 11:49 PM, kirashi said:

some aspects of the Windows Store

same here, at least I used to, I believe it's not possible anymore since I have removed certain aspects of windows itself since (which I think the store depends on) but fun fact, at least for free stuff you do not need a Microsoft account to get things from Microsoft store (might be regionally different, I don't know) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity