Trying to decide on new CPU Cooler's

BurnsFPS

Sup guys,

Im looking to finally complete my PC I build in june and replace my 3700x wraith stock cooler with something nicer,

I'm torn between picking a AIO or air cooler,

I really love the look of AIO's but dont want to deal with issues or anything that will mess up my pc in future,

For AIO I was thinking like a H100i RGB Platinum SE or a Capellix H115i or H150i, or maybe a nzxt cooler.

Then for air I was thinking a dark rock 4 or a noctua NH d-15(sold out everywhere)

Just torn which I should decide on. Im going to be upgrading the 3700x to 5900x soon thought Id mention as well.

Thanks for help :)

Gaming Build:

CPU:  Ryzen 7 3700x  |  GPU: EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra (2100Mhz Core | 8351Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: MSI MAG x570 Tomahawk  |  RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32gb 2x16gb 3600mhz  |  PSU: Corsair RM750  |  Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb, Samsung 860 Evo 500gb  |  Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism  |  Case: Phanteks P600s White

Peripherals:

Monitor:  Alienware AW2521HFL    Headset: Sennheiser GSP 500  |  Keyboard: HyperX Alloy Origins Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless (Logitech G502/Razer Lancehead TE)

Laptop:

HP Omen HP OMEN 17-W053DX

17.3" Full-HD  Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-Core 2.6GHz  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 4GB 1TB HDD + 256GB NVMe SSD  12GB DDR4  Bluetooth

I'd say Scythe Ninja 5, if both the Dark Rock 4 and NHD-15 are sold out.

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink

1 minute ago, f1ght43v3r said:

I'd say Scythe Ninja 5, if both the Dark Rock 4 and NHD-15 are sold out.

Dark rock 4 I could get now the Noctua cant find one anywhere for retail,

Im just not sure on ram clearance with the dark rock

Do you think those AIO options have a chance of messing up?

Gaming Build:

CPU:  Ryzen 7 3700x  |  GPU: EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra (2100Mhz Core | 8351Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: MSI MAG x570 Tomahawk  |  RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32gb 2x16gb 3600mhz  |  PSU: Corsair RM750  |  Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb, Samsung 860 Evo 500gb  |  Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism  |  Case: Phanteks P600s White

Peripherals:

Monitor:  Alienware AW2521HFL    Headset: Sennheiser GSP 500  |  Keyboard: HyperX Alloy Origins Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless (Logitech G502/Razer Lancehead TE)

Laptop:

17.3" Full-HD  Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-Core 2.6GHz  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 4GB 1TB HDD + 256GB NVMe SSD  12GB DDR4  Bluetooth

3 hours ago, BurnsFPS said:

Do you think those AIO options have a chance of messing up?

It's unlikely but there's always a chance. 

What are you aiming to improve with a new cooler? What case and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's unlikely but there's always a chance. 

What are you aiming to improve with a new cooler? What case and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located? 

Gotcha thats good to know might consider a good AIO then, would only get something really good if it was a AIO,

So for the cooler I hope to use it on my 5900x I plan to get soon. I might use it on my 3700x before then but think waiting for the 5900x might be a better idea.

My only cooler I have is a wraith prism so for sure will need it for the 5900x either way ya know.

Right now Im using a p600s with 32gb ram 3600mhz 16,

So Im not sure what would be better for the 5900x a 280mm or 360mm AIO, I can get pretty much any model but I like the 3 I listed above the most the 2x corsairs and nzxt.

But i also like air cooling because of how silent the good ones are and are because their no issues with leaking of anything like that to deal with in future, so the dark rock 4 and noctua dh are def on my list. Not sure which one would give enough unclear for my trident z neo 32gb

Right now I can shop on any site for the most part, would only pay msrp so would like to go to a reputable store that has good return policies like amazon or bestbuy or B&H,

Let me know watcha think :)

Appreciate the help

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

51 minutes ago, BurnsFPS said:

So for the cooler I hope to use it on my 5900x I plan to get soon. I might use it on my 3700x before then but think waiting for the 5900x might be a better idea.

Right now Im using a p600s with 32gb ram 3600mhz 16,

But i also like air cooling because of how silent the good ones are and are because their no issues with leaking of anything like that to deal with in future, so the dark rock 4 and noctua dh are def on my list. Not sure which one would give enough unclear for my trident z neo 32gb

Right now I can shop on any site for the most part, would only pay msrp so would like to go to a reputable store that has good return policies like amazon or bestbuy or B&H,

So, shopping in the US?

Both the DR4 and NH-D15 clear Trident Z Neo. 

The similar NH-D15S is in stock: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xCL7YJ/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15s

If you're mainly aiming for low noise, there are cheaper alternatives like the ARO-M14: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zV6qqs/thermalright-aro-m14g-736-cfm-cpu-cooler-aro-m14g

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

For a long time I have used a Corsair H100i in my old system.

No problems whatsoever with it, except that it can make more noise after several years of use.

Later I installed a Noctua NH-D15. And that is a beast of a cooler!

It was quieter and i even got better temps.

I was running a i5 7600K at 5.2Ghz Stable without thermal throttling or loud fans

Personally I'm not a fan of AIO's any more. 

Maybe it's a different story with the newer generation of AIO's, I cant say anything about that.

Chances of leaks or anything like that from something like an h100 would be pretty slim. Permeation is real and the pump will get loud if it’s not already, especially with a higher TDP CPU. But they cool pretty good for awhile. If you are looking at an AIO and air, then the only air coolers you should be looking at are top dog big air coolers, and not so much the budget ones. Thermalright, Noctua, BeQuiet, Scythe, etc. I’m waiting on parts to mount my Le Grand Macho RT, hopefully it performs better than stock 😬

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

The coolers AMD supply with many of their processors I consider torture devices.

Consider SNOWMAN (and similar brands) from AliExpress. I first got wind of these from YouTube videos. There are similar models (same manufacturer?) all over AliExpress, so feel free to browse. I bought 3 of these coolers with my own money. They are great. Because I hate LED bling so much, I opted for no LEDs, but you have that option too. Around US $20.

Local shops here are selling overpriced, over-marketed products, in my opinion. Good luck!

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

So, shopping in the US?

Both the DR4 and NH-D15 clear Trident Z Neo. 

The similar NH-D15S is in stock: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xCL7YJ/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15s

If you're mainly aiming for low noise, there are cheaper alternatives like the ARO-M14: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zV6qqs/thermalright-aro-m14g-736-cfm-cpu-cooler-aro-m14g

10 hours ago, Clintjeh said:

For a long time I have used a Corsair H100i in my old system.

No problems whatsoever with it, except that it can make more noise after several years of use.

Later I installed a Noctua NH-D15. And that is a beast of a cooler!

It was quieter and i even got better temps.

I was running a i5 7600K at 5.2Ghz Stable without thermal throttling or loud fans

Personally I'm not a fan of AIO's any more. 

Maybe it's a different story with the newer generation of AIO's, I cant say anything about that.

9 hours ago, freeagent said:

Chances of leaks or anything like that from something like an h100 would be pretty slim. Permeation is real and the pump will get loud if it’s not already, especially with a higher TDP CPU. But they cool pretty good for awhile. If you are looking at an AIO and air, then the only air coolers you should be looking at are top dog big air coolers, and not so much the budget ones. Thermalright, Noctua, BeQuiet, Scythe, etc. I’m waiting on parts to mount my Le Grand Macho RT, hopefully it performs better than stock 😬

7 hours ago, unsorted said:

The coolers AMD supply with many of their processors I consider torture devices.

Consider SNOWMAN (and similar brands) from AliExpress. I first got wind of these from YouTube videos. There are similar models (same manufacturer?) all over AliExpress, so feel free to browse. I bought 3 of these coolers with my own money. They are great. Because I hate LED bling so much, I opted for no LEDs, but you have that option too. Around US $20.

Local shops here are selling overpriced, over-marketed products, in my opinion. Good luck!

#Edit- After buying the Noctua for $154.95 I refreshed the page and saw it for sale for $104.95 direct from Noctua, this is a fair price right? I'm still considering the AIO have until the 14th to cancel Noctua so :)

Yea Wooden shipping in the US.

I actually did find a chromax black on amazon direct from Noctua Cooling Solutions but for some reason it coast's $154.95  thats way overpriced it's just suppose to coast $100 right?

Thanks for letting me know they both clear the trident Z Neo that helps alot. I might consider the dark rock pro 4 instead because thats only $89; unless I can find a chromax for $99. But I do still really like AIO's alot especially because I have 3x Corsair QL's in my case so it would look great with it.

Thanks Clintjeh that helps a lot. Good to hear you had no troubles with he AIO.

But also great to hear you had better results with the noctua. I'm looking something to really keep my future 5900x nice and cool. I'm still considering the AIO maybe white corsair version or nzxt but not 100% sure yet. If I can find the noctua for $99 then maybe that.

By the way how was the h100i when you first got it pretty quiet?

Thanks for that freeagent, Ill look into those other options too. But yea for air I would only prob consider noctua black or bequiet. Also thats good to know that the AIO's get loud after a while of having them. I want something that's going to last. Even though the AIO will look amazing in my case not sure its worth any possible trouble's.

Unsorted thanks I checked out the Snowman but I think I'd rather something top of the line for air. In terms of name/quality. But yea 100% I've been using the stock on my 3700x sense June and starting to not like it anymore. the inside under the fan is filled with dust and it can get loud. It does cool it pretty good but still not worth it for the sound.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Just thought you should know that there a couple other air cooler that compete with the d 15 and dr4p

Deepcool assassin 3

Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Rev. B

I know your focused and leaning towards air cooling, but an aio to consider would be

alphacool eisbaer

It's fully copper and maintainable.

ek aio and arctic liquid freezer 2 both rank high. But the lf2 has compatibility issues so there are 3 revisions.

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

Just thought you should know that there a couple other air cooler that compete with the d 15 and dr4p

Deepcool assassin 3

I know your focused and leaning towards air cooling, but an aio to consider would be

alphacool eisbaer

ek aio and arctic liquid freezer 2 both rank high. But the lf2 has compatibility issues so there are 3 revisions.

Thanks for posting those,

The Deepcool one is actually really nice with alot of clearance.,

Also the EK are pretty nice too good reviews on it,

Is their a section that rates the different AIO"S and ranks them like for the PSU section?

For me I'd say id be leaning toward Corair AIO,EK, or Nzxt for AIO,

But I did secure the Noctua so I might go with it, not bad for the $110, and I can put the white panels on it to match my build.

I do still think the AIO would look alot better in my build, hard choice need to make up a decision by tonight because Noctua will charge me tomorrow.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Deepcool assassin 3

alphacool eisbaer

Also Le Grand Macho RT, True Spirit 140 Power, Frost Spirit 140, T8 all compete and do very well, if not a little better. At least with LGMRT and TS140P.. I haven’t tried the other two yet. You can usually just find them on Amazon if you in North America. If you are in Canada best to get it from Amazon USA. 150 is pretty steep though and not worth it to me.. I’ve owned a D14 before so I have an idea of what they can do with a high tdp cpu.

6 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Also Le Grand Macho RT, True Spirit 140 Power, Frost Spirit 140, T8 all compete and do very well, if not a little better. At least with LGMRT and TS140P.. I haven’t tried the other two yet. You can usually just find them on Amazon if you in North America. If you are in Canada best to get it from Amazon USA. 150 is pretty steep though and not worth it to me.. I’ve owned a D14 before so I have an idea of what they can do with a high tdp cpu.

Oh yea 100% I canceled the Noctua order right after that then refreshed the page and it was $104 so getting it for $110 total shipped, Guess it was a price mess up, only $4 more then msrp.

Only thing with the fan cooler I think it might mess up how my build looks a bit why I do like the AIO's like EK and Corsair,

But at the same time not having to deal with pump issues/noise is a huge plus

Do you think the Noctua wont be good enough for the 5900x?

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

It will be great! Shouldn’t be any problems. I was replying to the other poster with my last comment. A lot of people think they are the end all be all to air cooling, but it’s not quite the truth.. there is some tight competition out there. It’s just too bad they are pretty much unknown nowadays except in certain groups. Just spreading the word my brotha 😎

9 hours ago, BurnsFPS said:

$104.95 direct from Noctua, this is a fair price right?

I actually did find a chromax black on amazon direct from Noctua Cooling Solutions but for some reason it coast's $154.95  thats way overpriced it's just suppose to coast $100 right?

I might consider the dark rock pro 4 instead because thats only $89; unless I can find a chromax for $99. 

$105 is a slightly more expensive than the usual $90.

The NH-D15 chromax.Black was $100 before but prices are higher, probably due to high demand. 

The DRP4 is a good option. If you want slightly more performance for slightly more noise, the Assassin III is also good: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YLsnTW/deepcool-assassin-iii-9037-cfm-cpu-cooler-assassin-iii

14 minutes ago, BurnsFPS said:

Is their a section that rates the different AIO"S and ranks them like for the PSU section?

They're in this performance tier list. If you mean an overall rating that covers warranty, acoustics, and quality, I don't think I've seen that done well.

Deepcool assassin 3

alphacool eisbaer

arctic liquid freezer 2 both rank high. But the lf2 has compatibility issues so there are 3 revisions.

The Assassin III and Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme are already in the list. 

I don't know of a cooler named just Eisbaer. There are plenty of coolers from Alphacool under that product line though. I've only found enough data to place the original Liquid Freezer II coolers. If you have more info on the newer revisions and how they perform, please link them. 

14 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Le Grand Macho RT, True Spirit 140 Power, Frost Spirit 140, T8 all compete and do very well, if not a little better. At least with LGMRT and TS140P.. I haven’t tried the other two yet. You can usually just find them on Amazon if you in North America. If you are in Canada best to get it from Amazon USA. 150 is pretty steep though and not worth it to me.. I’ve owned a D14 before so I have an idea of what they can do with a high tdp cpu.

The Le Grand Macho RT has a convex base which isn't as good on an off-center die like the 5900x. I'm not sure if and how much the same issue applies to the True Spirit 140 Power, or Silver Arrow T8. The Frost Spirit 140 and ARO-M14 have flatter bases which should perform better. 

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The Assassin III and Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme are already in the list. 

I don't know of a cooler named just Eisbaer. There are plenty of coolers from Alphacool under that product line though. I've only found enough data to place the original Liquid Freezer II coolers. If you have more info on the newer revisions and how they perform, please link them. 

Alphacool “Eisbaer” is an all copper(full copper rad and cold plate) expandable aio available in 12/140/240/280/360/480. fan are suppose to be Eiswind fans, but when you you order the aio. the stock fans are actually be quiet silent wing 2.

https://www.alphacool.com/campaign/index/emotionId/2954

I personally don't have any testing with this cooler.

As far as the ALF2 goes

the biggest changes are from rev 1 to rev 2 and mounting changes from rev 2 to rev 3.

https://blog.arctic.ac/blog/2020/08/26/liquid-freezer-ii-second-revision-whats-changed/

There hasn't been an official statement for the rev 3, but i have looked at a verity of post in different forums and the general consensus is a change to the mounting hardware that allows the mounting hardware to shift a bit for more compatibility, but seems to have an issue with motherboards(mostly b550) that have smaller space around the socket. From my understanding this can be fixed by requesting rev 2 mounting hardware from arctic.