Black screen flashing and USB disconnecting after exiting games

PapaApollyon

For a couple of weeks I have been having an issue when exiting games/having games others programs open simultaneously. The monitor turns black for a few seconds, all my USB devices get disconnected. Everything then comes back to life for a few seconds but then the process repeats itself. The only fix is to restart the PC. Mostly it occurs when I exit out of Overwatch, but it can happen when only browsing chrome for example. I suspect either my PSU or motherboard but Im unsure.

Also, a few times the motherboard didnt detect a boot SSD so I had to override it in BIOS. Happens at least once a week.

Thermals are fine, nothing ever peaks above ~72*C. 

What I tried so far: Updating and reinstalling Windows, updating Nvidia drivers and resetting motherboard settings to default.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4Ghz

MSI GTX 1660 TI Armor 6GB OC

16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600mhz (downclocked to 3200mhz because of mobo limitation)

Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

550W Corsair PSU (about 4 years old, unsure of model)

Bios version: 2008 03/04/2019

Running Windows 10 64bit v1909

This seems more like a software behavior than a hardware behavior to me.  If it was hardware it could be that the drop from high graphical load to low graphical load is triggering something.  What I find interesting is that it doesn’t happen every time.  Computers are very “do it or don’t” things.  It might be that there is a similarity of behavior in the instances where it does happen and the instances where it doesn’t. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This seems more like a software behavior than a hardware behavior to me.  If it was hardware it could be that the drop from high graphical load to low graphical load is triggering something.  What I find interesting is that it doesn’t happen every time.  Computers are very “do it or don’t” things.  It might be that there is a similarity of behavior in the instances where it does happen and the instances where it doesn’t. 

I ran some benchmarks on both the GPU and CPU without any stuttering or errors. Its could very well be software, will update BIOS and do some more testing...