Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

(Q) Easiest way to setup - want to boot from NVMe raid on 1 month old system? must start from scratch?

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

Sounds like you want RAID 0 for your boot drive. I'd recommend against that. If one drive fails the data on both drives is useless. You've essentially doubled your risk of data loss. Since you have NVMe which is already plenty fast, you'll not get any appreciable performance improvement either.

I don't know if it can actually be done (probably not), but I assume you'd have to backup your drive, then create a RAID and then restore the backup to the RAID array.

Hi all, 

My system is one month old and unfortunately I didn't set it up right the first time. I'm wondering...

Can I install/setup 'raid' so that I am booting from both m.2 SSD's, without fully re-installing windows?

I believe the answer is no, but wanted to get others' opinion. I searched the forum (and elsewhere) and can't find a concrete answer.

The end goal is to have one volume 4TB in size that is the primary drive, rather than two separate 2TB ones. I don't need help with the install itself, just want to know if it can be done without deleting everything and starting over w/clean install of windows. Much thanks in advance for your time & assistance. 

Not only can you not set up raid without wiping the drive, you also wouldn't want to.

Raid is more volatile than standard storage setups, as I'm sure you're aware. Something happens to one drive, both lose the data (in this particular setup). If you can't handle wiping your current drive setup now and starting fresh, I can't recommend raid for your boot drive since it's all too likely you'd have to do it more than once in the future, in the long term.

There's also not a tangible benefit, unless you're handling very massive files, in which case this problem would have been solved by you immediately cause you actually needed it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Sounds like you want RAID 0 for your boot drive. I'd recommend against that. If one drive fails the data on both drives is useless. You've essentially doubled your risk of data loss. Since you have NVMe which is already plenty fast, you'll not get any appreciable performance improvement either.

I don't know if it can actually be done (probably not), but I assume you'd have to backup your drive, then create a RAID and then restore the backup to the RAID array.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

17 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

The end goal is to have one volume 4TB in size that is the primary drive

If this for the system drive, you need to setup the raid volume in the motherboard not windows.

For the windows installation, you may want to clone it to a temporary drive and then clone back after you setup the raid (you need a bootable cloner for this).

If it fails, do a fresh install.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

29 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

Hi all, 

My system is one month old and unfortunately I didn't set it up right the first time. I'm wondering...

Can I install/setup 'raid' so that I am booting from both m.2 SSD's, without fully re-installing windows?

I believe the answer is no, but wanted to get others' opinion. I searched the forum (and elsewhere) and can't find a concrete answer.

The end goal is to have one volume 4TB in size that is the primary drive, rather than two separate 2TB ones. I don't need help with the install itself, just want to know if it can be done without deleting everything and starting over w/clean install of windows. Much thanks in advance for your time & assistance. 

I'd get a 500GB boot drive, and then RAID 0 the other 2 drives like you mention for a large data/library drive.

I prefer to separate my drives these days, and since mentioned that RAID is more volatile it's not a good choice for booting.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS z370 Gaming 5 - ThermalTake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Thanks all for the replies. I ended up doing it anyway. Aside from the 5 seconds of elation at seeing the CDM sequential numbers of 6,000 GB/sec read/write, I can say the exercise was as pointless as you all said it would be. 

I will be getting rid of the RAID0 and going back to just having each nvme drive separate once I get my new processor in the next few days. Thanks again for the help.