Help me decide between Gigabyte Vision D B550 and Asus TUF x570-Plus

Go to solution Solved by Haro,
1 minute ago, 5h0ckw4v3 said:

since I'll be working from both locations.

Then yeah as I said, the B550 aorus pro (or the V2), The B550 tomahawk/ gaming edge wifi, the B550 Strix f, and the X570 tomahawk are pretty good.

If you want to go with a white board, the B550 strix A is a good board, it's a Strix f but in white, if you want to go with a Vision D, you can, there's nothing really wrong with that board, just a little overpriced for what it offers, though it's  still solid. 

If you're set on a 300 dollar board, the X570 unify is good. 

But yeah as said above, even if you go with B550, you'll still get Gen 4. 

Hi guys,

I'm building a black and white gaming/work PC and need your help to determined which will best serve my purpose. I've chosen Gigabyte's Vision D B550 for its aesthetics. However, I'm going to pair this with 5900X and 3080, so some people suggested that I go for X570 instead. Nobody mentioned why the Vision D isn't suitable, all they said was the X570 will give me better performance. It didn't make sense to me since they don't know my workflow.

Also, I've built a PC just a couple weeks ago (10700K, TUF Z490, RTX 3080), it doesn't have PCIe 4 and I haven't noticed any performance loss or limitation when playing games or working on it. I don't think PCIe 4 will make much of a noticeable difference for me, anyways. People kept saying I should have gone for PCIe 4, don't really know why. What I do know, is that you guys will offer better advice in this regard.

I work mainly in Photoshop and After Effects. Sometimes I poke around in Blender and C4D.

Here's the list of parts.

1. Ryzen 9 5900X
  2. Gigabyte Vision D B550
  3. Lian Li Galahad 240mm (White)
  4. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 MHz 32 GB (White)
  5. iGame RTX 3080 Ultra OC* <-- The bastard in the family (will use a backplate)
  6. Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB NVMe
  7. Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB (Scratch Disk)
  8. Adata SU800 2 TB SSD
  9. Cooler Master 850 Watt Modular 80+ Gold (White)*
  10. Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh (White)

* Only ones available in their category

I've already broken the bank here and can't extend my budget any further. What I want to know is... Whether this build has any issues? Whether I should go for TUF X570 and why. Please help me understand.

i7 10700K ○ TUF Gaming Z490 Plus (Wifi) ○ Corsair HS H100i Platinum RGB AIO ○ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 GB 3200Mhz ○ Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 NVMe SSD ○ iGame RTX 3080 10 GB Ultra OC ○ Cooler Master 850W ○ Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Hi guys,

I'm building a black and white gaming/work PC and need your help to determined which will best serve my purpose. I've chosen Gigabyte's Vision D B550 for its aesthetics. However, I'm going to pair this with 5900X and 3080, so some people suggested that I go for X570 instead. Nobody mentioned why the Vision D isn't suitable, all they said was the X570 will give me better performance. It didn't make sense to me since they don't know my workflow.

Also, I've built a PC just a couple weeks ago (10700K, TUF Z490, RTX 3080), it doesn't have PCIe 4 and I haven't noticed any performance loss or limitation when playing games or working on it. I don't think PCIe 4 will make much of a noticeable difference for me, anyways. People kept saying I should have gone for PCIe 4, don't really know why. What I do know, is that you guys will offer better advice in this regard.

Here's the list of parts.

1. Ryzen 9 5900X
  2. Gigabyte Vision D B550
  3. Lian Li Galahad 240mm (White)
  4. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 MHz 32 GB (White)
  5. iGame RTX 3080 Ultra OC* <-- The bastard in the family (will use a backplate)
  6. Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB NVMe
  7. Adata SU800 2 TB SSD
  8. Cooler Master 850 Watt Modular 80+ Gold (White)*
  9. Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh (White)

* Only ones available in their category

I've already broken the bank here and can't extend my budget any further. What I want to know is... Whether this build has any issues? Whether I should go for TUF X570 and why. Please help me understand.

I can tell you for sure we are barely using pcie 3.0 fully at this point.

You probably need pcie 4.0 if you use something that needs A LOT of vram

like cad work.

On B550, the lanes that are wired to the cpu are Gen 4, while the ones that are wired to the chipset are Gen 3, on X570, the lanes that are wired to both the cpu and the gpu are Gen 4. 

So unless you need the extra Gen 4 lanes that X570 offers, you're not missing out by going with a B550 board. 

Though the Vision D is a bit of an overpriced board for what it offers, budget for a board? and location and currency? 

Though honestly unless your current build is lacking and you need something better than a 10700k, you aren't missing out on performance by using you GPU in gen 3, as the 3080 isn't affected by X16 gen 3.

And Z490 techincally supports PCIE gen 4, but Comet lake cpu's don't, so if you decide to upgrade to next gen Intel cpu's, you'll still get Gen 4. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Haro said:

On B550, the lanes that are wired to the cpu are Gen 4, while the ones that are wired to the chipset are Gen 3, on X570, the lanes that are wired to both the cpu and the gpu are Gen 4. 

So unless you need the extra Gen 4 lanes that X570 offers, you're not missing out by going with a B550 board. 

Though the Vision D is a bit of an overpriced board for what it offers, budget for a board? and location and currency? 

I live in Bangladesh, currency is Taka (BDT) and budget for board is $350.

I understand what you've explained, but like Lord Szechenyi said above, I don't think I will utilize PCIe 4, let alone need it.

i7 10700K ○ TUF Gaming Z490 Plus (Wifi) ○ Corsair HS H100i Platinum RGB AIO ○ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 GB 3200Mhz ○ Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 NVMe SSD ○ iGame RTX 3080 10 GB Ultra OC ○ Cooler Master 850W ○ Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Are the people that told you that you need X570 for a 5900X and 3080 also the ones that said you need PCIe 4.0? lol

The Vision D is fine; I wouldn't spend that much on a B550 board but if the overall look of the board makes it worth the cost for you, knock yourself out.

Comparing it to the TUF X570-Plus doesn't make much sense to me. The TUF is better only in the sense that it's X570 and you get PCIe 4.0 lanes directly from the chipset, but if you don't plan on installing multiple PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs, then you'd be looking at an all-round worse motherboard in the TUF.

That is to say that with B550, you still take advantage of the PCIe 4.0 lanes from the CPU. It's not like you lose out on PCIe 4.0 altogether.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, 5h0ckw4v3 said:

I understand what you've explained, but like Lord Szechenyi said above, I don't think I will utilize PCIe 4, let alone need it.

Yeah I edited my post, as I said above in my edited post, unless your current build is lacking, the 3080 isn't affected by PCIE Gen 3, and technically, on Z490, the boards do support gen 4, but current intel cpu's don't, so if you decide to go with next gen intel cpu's, you'll still get gen 4, you don't need to replace the board and cpu. 

4 minutes ago, 5h0ckw4v3 said:

and budget for board is $350.

Well to name some boards since PCPP doesn't have Bangladesh sadly, the B550 aorus pro (Or the V2), the B550 strix F/A, the B550 tomahawk or the B550 gaming edge wifi  or the X570 tomahawk are pretty good boards. 

If you're set on a 300ish dollar board, the X570 unify is good. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, Haro said:

Yeah I edited my post, as I said above in my edited post, unless your current build is lacking, the 3080 isn't affected by PCIE Gen 3, and technically, on Z490, the boards do support gen 4, but current intel cpu's don't, so if you decide to go with next gen intel cpu's, you'll still get gen 4, you don't need to replace the board and cpu. 

I'm not replacing my current build. The new one is for home use, the previous one will remain in the office. I just wanted to have an aesthetically good looking PC at home that also performs head to head with my office PC, since I'll be working from both locations.

since I'll be working from both locations.

Then yeah as I said, the B550 aorus pro (or the V2), The B550 tomahawk/ gaming edge wifi, the B550 Strix f, and the X570 tomahawk are pretty good.

If you want to go with a white board, the B550 strix A is a good board, it's a Strix f but in white, if you want to go with a Vision D, you can, there's nothing really wrong with that board, just a little overpriced for what it offers, though it's  still solid. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Haro said:

Thank you so much Haro and everyone, your help is much appreciated like the last time.