I have a 3-4 year old MSI gaming laptop that I wish to give to my brother-in-law for his first gaming laptop. Will a few upgrades save it?

Tyuzo
The laptop in question:

Specs:
  • Processor: i5-6300HQ
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 950M, 2GB
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4 at 2133Mhz
  • Storage: 1TB SATA HDD at 5400RPM

I bought this gaming laptop in 2016 and it served me until late 2019. It has gotten noticeably slower over the years, and takes 10-15 minutes to start Windows. This is most likely the harddrive slowing down, as it still runs games pretty okay-ish.

I opened up the back of the computer yesterday and noticed that it is only running with a single 8GB stick of RAM and runs on an ancient 5400RPM SATA HDD.

My question is; would this system be capable of games such as GTA Online, Minecraft, Rocket League, ROBLOX, Fall Guys, Among Us, etc. at reasonable settings if I were to upgrade the RAM to dual channel at 2x8 (16GB) and replacing the HDD with an NVME M.2 SSD seeing as it is possible with this laptop.
I'm not expecting insane performance from this laptop, it is old and worn down, but I am hoping to squeeze some more life out of it seeing as it was only bought 4 years ago. Any input is highly appreciated!

i9-10900k | ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix OC | 32GB RAM @ 3200MHz

1 minute ago, Tyuzo said:
The laptop in question:

Specs:
  • Processor: i5-6300HQ
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 950M, 2GB
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4 at 2133Mhz
  • Storage: 1TB SATA SSD at 5400RPM

I bought this gaming laptop in 2016 and it served me until late 2019. It has gotten noticeably slower over the years, and takes 10-15 minutes to start Windows. This is most likely the harddrive slowing down, as it still runs games pretty okay-ish.

I opened up the back of the computer yesterday and noticed that it is only running with a single 8GB stick of RAM and runs on an ancient 5400RPM SATA HDD.

My question is; would this system be capable of games such as GTA Online, Minecraft, Rocket League, ROBLOX, Fall Guys, Among Us, etc. at reasonable settings if I were to upgrade the RAM to dual channel at 2x8 (16GB) and replacing the HDD with an NVME M.2 SSD seeing as it is possible with this laptop.
I'm not expecting insane performance from this laptop, it is old and worn down, but I am hoping to squeeze some more life out of it seeing as it was only bought 4 years ago. Any input is highly appreciated!

Upgrade to 2x8 RAM if your laptop has 2 ram slots. (Make sure you buy 2133mhz SODIMM)

Also do you have an SSD or HDD? You say you have an SSd but then you say "5400RPM"

If you don't have an SSD get a cheap 120 or 240GB one, and add w the HDD.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

3 minutes ago, Tyuzo said:
Storage: 1TB SATA SSD at 5400RPM

Was about to ask that too - SSDs don't have RPM speeds. They are solid state.

HDDs have RPM speeds, and 5400 RPM is pretty slow.

I can one-up you on slow speeds - 3600 RPM on 1.5 GB.

elephants

9 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Also do you have an SSD or HDD? You say you have an SSd but then you say "5400RPM"

7 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Was about to ask that too - SSDs don't have RPM speeds. They are solid state.

HDDs have RPM speeds, and 5400 RPM is pretty slow.

I can one-up you on slow speeds - 3600 RPM on 1.5 GB.

My bad here! I meant to write HDD, not SSD. :facepalm:

12 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Upgrade to 2x8 RAM if your laptop has 2 ram slots. (Make sure you buy 2133mhz SODIMM)

I have some leftover DDR4 SODIMM rated at 2666Mhz laying around. Is it okay to install these? I assume these will automatically downclock to 2133MHz anyway.

Just now, Tyuzo said:

I have some leftover DDR4 SODIMM rated at 2666Mhz laying around. Is it okay to install these? I assume these will automatically downclock to 2133MHz anyway.

Yeah, it will work. It will just downclock to 2133, although that's not a big deal for 6th gen intel

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

4 minutes ago, Tyuzo said:

My bad here! I meant to write HDD, not SSD. :facepalm:

upgrade to SSD

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

Yeah, it will work. It will just downclock to 2133, although that's not a big deal for 6th gen intel

Sweet, gonna order an NVME SSD now and then start making these small upgrades. Hopefully he likes his christmas present. Thanks for the help! 😉

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

upgrade to SSD

The laptop has support for upgrades to an NVME SSD so I will install a 500GB one and keep the HDD for secondary storage. 🙂

What the people above said to do for upgrades. As far as what it'd be capable of, I think all of those you listed except GTA Online will be fine. Among Us is not exactly graphically intensive.