3d applications keep crashing

I am experiencing some issues while playing some games. I noticed this first when I tried to play WoW. The game will suddenly and regularly freeze for 30 seconds or so, then the screen goes black and I can continue playing. I am not sure about the interval, but I guess it happens every 10 minutes or so, and it seems to happened more often if I have just died in game.

Because of the crashing I tried to play some other games, like Satisfactory and Subnautica. These games are not playable at all, as they seem to crash within a certain amount of time after starting them (roughly 3-5 minutes in). The error I get in those Unreal Engine games is something about not being able to find a D3D device (Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0006 - 'HUNG').

This all started after my brother lent me his 1080ti (which is better than my old Kepler based GPU). He also noticed similar issues while he was playing WoW as well. I didn't really notice at first, because I played games that were fairly easy to run.

I tried to run some stress tests like FurMark and Superposition to see if I could replicate any of these freezes. If I run the Superposition 1080p Extreme benchmark It will likely crash around scene 8 or 14 (out of 17), but I got it to finish once for some reason. I can run the Superposition 8K Medium without crashing multiple times. FurMark on the other hand seems to hang regularly when the GPU temp reaches 80C, for a second at a time.

I tried to add a cable from my PSU to the GPU as I was only using one 8-pin split cable going to the two 8-pins on the GPU. FurMark doesn't seem hickup anymore after I did this.

What do you think is the problem here, and is there anything I can do to fix it?