CPU surgery?

So I found a crazy deal on a CPU because a pin is bent. If I extract that pin and use a reserved pin, would that work and keep the CPU going? the pin in question is a VSS (ground) pin. the location is J23 for the bent pin. If I am insane, call me out. But with a very fine heat applicator with a soldering iron and a very steady hand, would this be possible.........

https://imgur.com/a/20BK1b1 

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

So I found a crazy deal on a CPU because a pin is bent. If I extract that pin and use a reserved pin, would that work and keep the CPU going? the pin in question is a VSS (ground) pin. the location is J23 for the bent pin. If I am crazy, call me out. But with a very fine heat applicator with a soldering iron and a very steady hand, would this be possible.........

https://imgur.com/a/20BK1b1 

You don't even need a random ground pin most likely, but you can just heat it up and probably get it straight, or clip it really close and shove it into the socket #notadvice

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Theoretically yes that can be done, best first thing to try would be to apply heat and attempt bending the existing pin back into place

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

How about a picture of the bent pin.....

And no, I wouldn't heat pins. Those solder pads let go pretty easily.

Why does everyone suggest this.... (asking self)

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I agree 100%. Heating the pin is nuts. Solder melts long before the metal softens. 

I don't have the nuts to do a video on "how to" straighten bent pins... lol

So I have a small model vice that suction cups to the desktop. 

Clamping the Cpu, I can use 2 hands. 

Have a magnifier (cause I'm older now) 

and a set of surgical tweezers fine point.

Gently work the pins back into place. slow. Need to bend it back slowly. (best advice)

Pins bent straight flat tend to break right off. Need to grab low as possible at the base of the bend and work up.

When most are realatively straight, use a thin card, like a library card (DL is too thick on modern AMD) 

and slide the card gently between rows of pins and rock the card back and forth to get the wave out of the rows the card touches.

Pretty much the most detailed description I could give you how I straighten pins.

27 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I don't know. It's not hard to slowly and carefully bend a pin back. All you really need is a thin card like a bank card and a very thin piece of plastic or pliers to help with hard to do angles. I've done cpu's that had 20+ messed up pins this way and sure it took a couple hours but some jamming music and boom jobs done.

if it was a fantastic deal, I'd bend or replace the pin, but at its current price its an iffy proposition. this is the only picture of the bottom, and from this vantage point you cant really see how far its bent.

bent pin.JPG

1 hour ago, BiotechBen said:

if it was a fantastic deal, I'd bend or replace the pin, but at its current price its an iffy proposition. this is the only picture of the bottom, and from this vantage point you cant really see how far its bent.

Looks easy to repair. It's not bent flat, looks like it's bent enough to touch another pin.

Well.... what cpu and price?

12 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Looks easy to repair. It's not bent flat, looks like it's bent enough to touch another pin.

Well.... what cpu and price?

It's a 3600 for 100 bucks. If you want to go for it and do a surgery, I can give you the listing info

4 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

It's a 3600 for 100 bucks. If you want to go for it and do a surgery, I can give you the listing info

I have 5 Ryzen chips already, so I'm not on the market at this time.

But 100$ is reasonable if it's a working cpu.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

I have 5 Ryzen chips already, so I'm not on the market at this time.

But 100$ is reasonable if it's a working cpu.

If I had a spare 100, I'd try to fix it. But It I have no idea if it even works.  If I were doing the pin replacement, I'd use my soldering iron with a paperclip as the tip. (Used that method before for precision soldering and it worked surprisingly well and less wasted solder)

48 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

If I had a spare 100, I'd try to fix it. But It I have no idea if it even works.  If I were doing the pin replacement, I'd use my soldering iron with a paperclip as the tip. (Used that method before for precision soldering and it worked surprisingly well and less wasted solder)

I've had removed pins and use a small piece of wire into the hold just sticking up past the socket. That worked ok too. 

Socket 940 (server not AM2) I've dont the same method for vcore mods.