Planning to upgrade from my Telstra smart modem.

Nexblitzer

So I'm getting pretty poor upload and download speeds with my current setup, And was thinking about upgrading from my current Telstra smart modem to a dedicated modem and router, or perhaps a modem/router combo as i've heard it's practically e-waste levels of quality. So in that case 

1. If I disconnect my current modem/router combo, and plug in a separate Modem and router or modem/router combo (from a company like Netgear, lets say, Should it just instantly work after I plug in the WAN cable? Or will there be another setup process, and if so, does that depend on the company's router/modem AND what IS that said process.

2. What are some recommend units for Routers And Modems, OR a good combo between the both?

Also I should mention, That I do have about 3 walls in-between my current gaming setup, and I'm NOT using ethernet, as there isn't any practical way for me to connect one rn. Also, I have a mobile based blinking on the light, I assume thats for my mobile data plan right? any considerations there?

if there is anything else that I should no, please tell me in the thread provided :) 

15 hours ago, Nexblitzer said:

So I'm getting pretty poor upload and download speeds with my current setup, And was thinking about upgrading from my current Telstra smart modem to a dedicated modem and router, or perhaps a modem/router combo as i've heard it's practically e-waste levels of quality. So in that case 

1. If I disconnect my current modem/router combo, and plug in a separate Modem and router or modem/router combo (from a company like Netgear, lets say, Should it just instantly work after I plug in the WAN cable? Or will there be another setup process, and if so, does that depend on the company's router/modem AND what IS that said process.

2. What are some recommend units for Routers And Modems, OR a good combo between the both?

Also I should mention, That I do have about 3 walls in-between my current gaming setup, and I'm NOT using ethernet, as there isn't any practical way for me to connect one rn. Also, I have a mobile based blinking on the light, I assume thats for my mobile data plan right? any considerations there?

if there is anything else that I should no, please tell me in the thread provided :) 

1) The process for a new modem differs depending on internet. For example Cable (Coax) internet you generally have to register the MAC address and Serial number of the modem with your cable provider. With DSL its generally using PPPOE for authentication and that will generally have a user name and pass word that you will need to enter in, at least on the router end from what I have seen. I dont personally have DSL so the process might be a bit different. 

2) There is NO modem that does all internet types. So unless we know what type of internet you have we cant really help. Is your internet delivered via Coax, Phone line, Fiber, or wireless? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Nexblitzer said:

It's wireless braodbrand. Fixed wireless I believe.

That might present a problem. I dont know of any Fixed Wireless modems. So maybe someone will chime in on if they know of any. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.