Why does a I5 10600K run cooler than a R5 3600.

Go to solution Solved by boggy77,
3 minutes ago, redcan0 said:

He uses a Silverstone PermaFrost 240mm AIO

I use the same AIO but 360mm version.

He didn't change anything in Bios in terms of voltaje and clocks. But I don't know how he gets that kind of temps.

I also checked the power consumption while his CPU was idle and it was around 19 Watts.

My CPU takes 40 Watts while idle.

Could this be the reason?

Why does my take up so much power in idle?

idle temps and power consumption don't really matter. you should only compare load temps and power.

power consumption can only be measured accurately with a power meter inserted in the socket.

getting 25c at idle is not possible, unless the ambient temps in your friend's room are less than 15C.

make sure you both use the same software for monitoring temps (hwinfo64 is the most reliable)

Hey everyone, I have a friend who has the same case and cooler as me but I have a Ryzen 5 3600 and he has a 10600k. Even though the TDP of the 10600K is a lot higher than the R5 3600 he gets a lot lower temps. Also his idle temps are around 25 degrees while mine is around 36. His power consumption is generally lower than me. Is this due to the inefficient architecture of Ryzen? Does anyone know? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Are you using the same cooler. Also how cool does it run under loader?

My Ryzen 5 3600 is running at 1.1 voltaje 4.2 GHz.

His 10600K runs at 4.5 GHz everything at auto. He gets around 6-7 degrees lower.

And yes we both have the same AIO cooler

13 minutes ago, redcan0 said:

Also his idle temps are around 25 degrees while mine is around 36.

Idle temps at 25C?  That's ridiculously low.  My guess it something isn't being measured properly.

That being said, a LOT of things can affect temperatures.  The case you're using, the fans, the way you installed the cooler, the thermal paste you used, and more.  You also can't just compare TDP on Intel and AMD, since they're calculated differently.  36C at idle is fine though, nothing to be worried about.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Idle temps at 25C?  That's ridiculously low.  My guess it something isn't being measured properly.

He didn't change anything in Bios in terms of voltaje and clocks. But I don't know how he gets that kind of temps.

I also checked the power consumption while his CPU was idle and it was around 19 Watts.

Just now, redcan0 said:

I also check the power consumption while his CPU was idle and it was around 19 Watts.

See the edits I made to my last post.  On top of what I already said, "idle" is not really defined.  Your CPU is always doing something.  You don't have anything to worry about.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, redcan0 said:

idle temps and power consumption don't really matter. you should only compare load temps and power.

power consumption can only be measured accurately with a power meter inserted in the socket.

getting 25c at idle is not possible, unless the ambient temps in your friend's room are less than 15C.

make sure you both use the same software for monitoring temps (hwinfo64 is the most reliable)

Coincidentally I just built a 10600k system yesterday, and without doing side by side tests I think it runs cooler than my 3700X system, both at stock. I think it is not unexpected. The 10600k is rated at 125W TDP. In the system I just built running stock, the reported power running Prime95 small FFT was stable around 130W with the CPU going at 4.5 GHz. Ryzen 65W TDP CPUS, like the 3600 and 3700X actually limit to 88W PPT at stock. So yes, the Intel CPU uses more power in that scenario, why isn't it hotter? Simply, it is much bigger. Temperatures have been a problem with Zen 2 due to the much smaller process used, leading to more heat density. The total heat might be lower, but until it manages to spread out it is more concentrated into a smaller area.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

11 hours ago, porina said:

Coincidentally I just built a 10600k system yesterday, and without doing side by side tests I think it runs cooler than my 3700X system, both at stock. I think it is not unexpected. The 10600k is rated at 125W TDP. In the system I just built running stock, the reported power running Prime95 small FFT was stable around 130W with the CPU going at 4.5 GHz. Ryzen 65W TDP CPUS, like the 3600 and 3700X actually limit to 88W PPT at stock. So yes, the Intel CPU uses more power in that scenario, why isn't it hotter? Simply, it is much bigger. Temperatures have been a problem with Zen 2 due to the much smaller process used, leading to more heat density. The total heat might be lower, but until it manages to spread out it is more concentrated into a smaller area.

This was really helpful. Thanks.

Idle temps don't really matter, and the way Ryzen CPUs tend operate with boost frequencies/background tasks, they appear to be hotter than Intel systems. 

Additionally, the 10600k has a revamped IHS/DIE that helps thermals tremendously over the prior generations.

There's also a lot of factors such as ambient temperature, GPU used (this can greatly affect CPU temps if your GPU is some heater) as well as case flow and cooling capability.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Transistor Density. The 3600 has more gross transistors. I/O is probably a large portion also. 

3600 may run peak and idle temps higher, but with much better efficiency.

3600 max temp 95c throttle

10600K max temp 100c throttle.

Both shut the board off between 110-115c

+/- 5c depending on the bios.

9 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Transistor Density. The 3600 has more gross transistors. I/O is probably a large portion also. 

3600 may run peak and idle temps higher, but with much better efficiency.

3600 max temp 95c throttle

10600K max temp 100c throttle.

Both shut the board off between 110-115c

+/- 5c depending on the bios.

Thanks. I thought my AIO was broken or something when he saw 7-8 degrees lower than my R5 3600.

Btw, I can use my R5 3600 at 4.6 GHz with 1.45V and I face no heat issue. However, 1.45 is a high voltaje.

What would happen if I use my CPU at 4.6/1.45V at daily?

And I am planning to swtich to a 5600X

Was this Transistor Density thing improved for better temps?

Honestly, currently I get 37-40 degrees idle at 1.1V and everyone around me gets lower than that. Even though idle temps don't matter that makes me upset

2 hours ago, redcan0 said:

Thanks. I thought my AIO was broken or something when he saw 7-8 degrees lower than my R5 3600.

Btw, I can use my R5 3600 at 4.6 GHz with 1.45V and I face no heat issue. However, 1.45 is a high voltaje.

What would happen if I use my CPU at 4.6/1.45V at daily?

And I am planning to swtich to a 5600X

Was this Transistor Density thing improved for better temps?

Honestly, currently I get 37-40 degrees idle at 1.1V and everyone around me gets lower than that. Even though idle temps don't matter that makes me upset

Really you should keep the voltage closer to the FIT regulated which is about (on average) 1.3250v for all core loads.

At 4.6the and 1.45v would probably face rapid degradation of the processor, time line of life unknown.

Most average processors have a life span of 100,000 hours when run at default settings. Using a high voltage can cause damage and this doesnt matter the temps above ambient.

The goal with any overclocking varies, but generally the faster you go and the more voltage you use, the cold the cpu temps should be. At 1.45v, sub ambient loaded core temps would be a keen idea.

They didnt improve temps necessarily with Ryzen 5000, but they did improve the IPC greatly near the same wattage used.

So a cpu running 85c at load (for example) being at stock settings is a non issue and would last a long time either way.

You can get low idle temps by running green and let the cpu acquire its lower P-states. A manual all core OC kinda eliminates low idle temps. The stock XFR also can produce high idle temps. But is perfectly normal. 40c idle is pretty fair IMO.