[Build Log] Illya - The air cooled Prodigy [Update 12-27-13: Introducing Illya! Final Build Log]

Latest update

Update #6 [12/27/13] Introducing Illya, the Air Cooled Prodigy!

jkadana_zps55aece32.png

Banner art by Kiwi-Berry

Good evening, everyone! I finally pulled the trigger to build my very first rig. I've been using Alienware m11x Laptops for the longest time to do light 3D rendering work (Blender and Sketchup), Photoshop, and medium gaming and I'm not convinced that using laptops for my type of need is efficient nor is it smart.

I decided that I would be more productive if I spent the money on a Medium-End desktop that revolves around the mITX form factor--I need it to fit on top of my desk in College. I'm going on a completely air cooled system because I still think that adding 2 more points of failure in my computer is not a good idea. I'll try liquid in the future when I'm more competent about PC building.

The bottomline is that I'm going for silent, portable, and midbudget computer that I can practice overclocking on. I'm still open to suggestions on parts that are not listed as received or purchased! This my first build so I'll greatly benefit from the input of the community.

Here's my part's List:

Case                   : Bitfenix Prodigy Red (Received)

Processor          : Intel i5 4670k (Received)

Gfx Card            : MSI TwinFrozr GTX 770 (Received)

CPU Cooler       : Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2 (Received)

MotherBoard    : ASRock Z87E-ITX (Received)

PowerSupply    : SeaSonic G Series SSR550w (Received)

RAM                   : Kingston HyperX Red Series 2x4gb (Received)

Boot SSD           : Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB (Received)

Storage HDD    : Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Received)

Case Fan 1         : BitFenix Spectre Pro 230mm (Received)

Case Fan 2        : Corsair AF140 (Received)

Updates Below:

Update #1 [9/13/2013] Enter Illya, the Air Cooled Prodigy

~****************************************************************~

Update #1 [9/13/2013] Enter Illya, the Air Cooled Prodigy

I finally received the case today and I'd say that I'm ecstatic to finally build my own computer. I've been studying computers for 2 years now both in college and in my spare time but I am really dumbfounded as to why I did not think of building my own for the longest time! I guess me being an Alienware fanboy during my highschool years contributes to that...

Anywho, onto the photos!

17TBYDcl.jpg

I just love the brushed metal finish of that logo. It really stands out on top of the red SofTouch front panel.

o5yp0XVl.jpg

Moved both the Bitfenix Spectre fans that came with the case up top. Going to use them as intakes--however, the rear top one might be removed because it might interfere with the Dark Rock 2. I'll report on that when the motherboard comes in.

2FY3dfWl.jpg

Taking care of the exhaust side of things, I'm counting on this Corsair AF140 (Quiet Edition) to perform well. Afterall, it's my only exhaust fan.

InA5OE6l.jpg

Here's my CPU Heatsink. I think that Be Quiet's Dark Rock 2 is a great centrepiece/anchor/carry for my cooling system since I'm going for an all-out "woosh" cooled machine. I'll be overclocking this thing so having a trusty CPU heatsink puts my mind at ease.

And that is it for now! Stay tuned as I'll be buying and putting this beautiful computer together in the following weeks! Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my very first build. More updates to come, have a good one, everybody!

Update #2 [9/18/13] A new PSU and a simple air filter mod.

Update: 9/18/13

Good evening people of LTT. Just logging in an update. The things I have ordered: my PSU (Seasonic G series 550w) and some airconditioning materials have come in!

Pardon my messy work area, I'm currently packing for college. Alright, onwards to photos!

4rm64pZl.jpg

So this came in this morning! I'll be using Seasonic's G series 550w as my PSU while the air conditioner filter will be used to filter the Prodigy's unfiltered intakes--it has two the side and the front panel.

mlAtKE0l.jpg

A quick photo of the G Series out of its box. The unit complies with ATX's standard height and width (3.4" and 5.9" respectively) and most importantly, it fits inside the Prodigy's restrictive PSU cage measuring at 6.29" (160mm). Remember folks that although the Prodigy psu cage is 180mm deep, you need some space for the wires so a depth of 160mm is a must.

dhEKcNEl.jpg

As we take a closer look at the back, we can see the semi-modular set up of the psu. The 24pin and CPU 4+4pin connectors are sleeved but sadly, the colours still shine through. If you want those things to be completely black I would suggest using Vinyl Dye.

keFgaavl.jpg

All the modular cables have the same scheme, no sleeves just black wires on black connectors. Pretty sleek; I wish they did this wiring on the 24 and 4+4 pin cables.

MaN38cVl.jpg

I'll be using 1/4 inch thick Air Conditioning foam filters to solve the Prodigy's lack of filters in its front and side panels.

LKSfUUrl.jpg

For side panel I've sliced out a 11 x 6.25 inch rectangle to cover the ventilation holes. The GPU fans will be sucking in air from here so this should filter out dust. (However in the future I might opt to purchase a windowed side panel.)

aPlgCd3l.jpg

For the front panel, I've made a 9.25 x 8 inch rectangle. This should filter the air that my gigantic 230mm fan takes in. This angle shows that it's misaligned but it fits perfectly, trust me! I'll take another photo to prove it.

3PHjQ4kl.jpg

There we go! You guys can see that it fits perfectly over the ventilation holes.

I have a few questions before I go. How does replacing the vented side panel with a windowed one affect my cooling? As a reminder I have 2 intakes and one exhaust if I don't count the GPU fans.

Second, does anyone have experience using 1/4 inch foam filters? Does it restrict airflow at all?

Alright, so that's it for my update for tonight. I'll be updating more as soon as I can. Thank you guys for checking out my log and have a good one!

Update #3 [12/18/13] MoBo, Fan, Boot SSD, and a simple PSU mod.

Update: 12/18/13

Evening people of LTT! Wow, it's been almost 3 months since my last update. I apologize for that--college got me busy and I had to make money for the rest of the build. Finally, I've got all the funds together. In this update I'll be talking about the parts that came in as well as my latest PSU mod. Here goes nothing, let's get this update started!

My parts list has been updated! Old parts will be in blue and new parts in green.

Gfx Card       : ASUS GeForce GTX 760  ---> MSI TwinFrozr GTX 770

RAM              : Kingston HyperX Black Series 2x4gb ---> Kingston HyperX Red 1333 2x4GB

Storage HDD : WD Black 1TB  ---> Seagate Barracuda 2GB

Now a few of the parts have arrived! I'm pretty excited since Illya's pretty much coming together.

GPWRbCdl.jpg

First up will be my intake fan: Bitfenix's Spectre Pro 230mm. It's gigantic for an intake but since I'm going with an all whoosh-cooled build, I'd like to have a ton of airflow throughout the case.

rvl7GVwl.jpg

The fan can move up to 156.27 CFM @ 900 rpm. Noise levels are rated at around 25.6 dBA so it's pretty quiet. Remember that bigger fans generate less noise due to their low rpm while moving a ton of air. I'll report temperatures when she's completed.

xQCy88Al.jpg

My Motherboard of choice is Asrock's Z87E-ITX. This little gem seems to be overlooked a lot in terms of Haswell mITX choices--most favored competitors would be ASUS's Impact and Deluxe as well as EVGA's Stinger.

TumdZRul.jpg

Even though it doesn't have 'bling' that the other MoBos offer, the Z87E-ITX can go toe-to-toe with the other brands. This guy's packed with 6 SATA III ports, 802.11ac wifi, and a pretty decent Realtek ALC1150 audio chipset.

lUjzdV4l.jpg

Here's a somewhat blurry photo of the 6 x SATAIII ports, the 802.11ac wifi, as well as the Z87 chipset running this shindig. For the low price of $139.99 (as of 12/18/13) anyone building a haswell based mITX should consider this MoBo.

TfFHZ5Zl.jpg

Handling my OS and a bunch of programs will be Kingston's HyperX 120gb SSD. This little guy will keep Illya quick and snappy. Imagine boot times at around 10 seconds. (Coming from a background of all Alienware laptops with HDDs, THAT is fast for me.)

MOD TIME!

daArdpul.jpg

Alright now for the aforementioned PSU mod! I decided to spice up the interior of my case by wrapping carbon fiber around the PSU. I used 3M's DI-NOC 422 here. It looks good and I love it's weaved texture.

OPtlNmgl.jpg

I would like to take this time to thank the awesome peeps at Seasonic for allowing me to keep my warranty even after this mod.

pqcNB9Gl.jpg

You'll need these fabulous tools to bend the carbon fiber vinyl to your will--a hairdryer, measuring tape, and a knife (thanks mom for lending me your fabulous tools). I measured the PSU and decided that I'll need 75mm x 160mm for the sides and 150mm x 160mm for the top.

cV1m20el.jpg

Cut once, measure twice. Make sure you have enough to cover the surfaces in question. More is better in this case since you can always cut the excess.

QeVMrHMl.jpg

All done! See the bend at the top of the PSU? You would want to use the hairdryer on the Carbon fiber so that it wraps well around there. Heat helps it go around curves and bends smoothly.

nYZVsNBl.jpg

Here's the other side (Kinda?) I'll upload how it looks inside that PSU cage when the actual full build day comes. The parts are all ordered, it's only a matter of time before they arrive.

That's all from me for tonight. Really sorry again for the late update here. Things got rough over the last 3 months.

If you peeps have any question and or suggestions let me know! Thanks for checking out this update of mine. Have a good one!

Update #4 [12/19/13] GTX 770 and awesome new art!

Update: 12/19/13

New Parts, New Art!

Evening again LTT peeps! Now that I've secured enough to buy all of the parts, these updates are going to arrive more often. I drove out to pick up my GTX 770 from Newegg's will call centre. I gotta say that I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this thing. Also after talking to Newegg's PR department they gave me the NVIDIA Holiday Bundle despite the deal being technically expired.

On top of the new card, my girlfriend drew my PC build as a character! Me thinks her seeing me get really into this first PC build inspired her to draw me things? So a shout out to her for that! Check out her stuff on her tumblr and deviantArt. The photo will also be a hyperlink to her site.

U4D6CNG.png46PBkm0l.png

I love how she incorporated my build into a character! I'm really grateful for these pieces. I mean she even got the BitFenix and CM logos on her.  This is most definitely Illya in anime form.

Alright time for Illya's graphics card to make it's debut! Oh and as a new bonus, the photos link to their respective higher resolution versions.

WUI60Wal.jpg

That dragon looks awesome. But yes here it is, MSI's GTX 770 with their Twin Frozr IV cooler. This card is armed with the GK104 graphics processor--the same one that the old 680 was sporting. Is this a re-badge? I think it is sort of a re-badge?--the processor might be the same but the 770 sports higher clocks (Base Clock @ 1046) and memory speeds (GDDR5 running @ 7.0 Gb/s).

pQPPl5Cl.jpg

Opening the box reveals a sleek black box with MSI's Gaming Series insignia engraved right smack in the middle. Although most people will think that the 770 is a re-badge, I would like to think of it as an improved re-badge since it also comes with all the upgrades that the 700 series entails. That includes GPU Boost 2.0!

MLQ6226l.jpg

Look at that sexy shroud! We can see the Twin Frozr IV in it's full glory here. These babies should keep the GPU nice and cool. Thus, allowing me to achieve higher OC's with the 700 series' GPU boost 2.0--this type of OC tells the GPU to run at as fast as it can so long as it is under a user-defined temperature limit.

37o0mEGl.jpg

There are 2 x 8pin pci-e slots ready to gulp in fuel for this thirsty card. At it's peak, the 770 eats up 230w of power. So if you're thinking of grabbing this card and overclocking it make sure you have enough energy headroom.

wjkWBAul.jpg

I'm going to wrap up the photo shoot with a closeup of the shroud. All-in-all I'm pretty happy with where this build is going. I gotta ask though, anybody else with this graphic's card? If so what are your experiences with it?

Thanks again for taking the time to read this log! Hopefully people find it useful. As usual, any comments and suggestions are welcomed. Have a good one guys!

Update #5 [12/26/13] Post-Holiday Assembly!

Update: 12/26/13

Post-Holiday Assembly!

Good Evening and Happy Holidays people of LTT! I hope everyone had an amazing Holiday. Here's a big update for you guys, all of Illya's parts have arrived! This is my first time assembling a PC and overall I really enjoyed myself!

Stay tuned though, I'll be uploading final build photos tomorrow after I find her most stable overclocks. Why? I can't close the side panels until she is completely finished--that includes OCing.

And as usual, all photos will hyperlink to their higher resolution versions. Now onto the assembly photos!

gJwufEtl.jpg

Let's start off with a photo of my workstation. I had to steal the dinner table :D For builds like this one, you'll need a surface that won't carry any static charge--wood and rubber are great examples.

cQu8gNRl.jpg

My RAM Modules of choice: Kingston's HyperX reds. It's XMP Profile recommends it to run 1600Mhz @ 1.5v, however, I'll let these run a little slower: 1333Mhz @ 1.35v. If needed, I'll bump it up to 1.5v.

PK3IEEql.jpg

Say "HELLO!" to Illya's 4670k. At stock, this runs at 3.4Ghz but since it's got the "k" denomination this i5 is unlocked. I'll be aiming for a 4.4Ghz overclock. Hopefully, she won't eat a ton of voltage. I'll post temps and voltages in the final build update

Vg1oGt8l.jpg

Great! I didn't mess up the CPU installation! Remember to line up the notches on the chip with the notches on the CPU slot. Try to lower it in with an almost straight vertical angle. As you lock down the arm, there will be more force required here.

7qM2vAbl.jpg

Phew, so RAM modules are in. I try to line up the notch first and don't force anything in. At first I did not check and almost tried to force it in the slot! Apply force on both sides at the same time if you can until the retention arm clicks shut.

nJbZp1Il.jpg

It's time to attach the heart of this air cooled build. I'm relying on the Dark Rock 2 to give me cool temperatures even after a full 1.1Ghz increase from stock clocks.

XEqG4WNl.jpg

This particular cooler screws down from it's backplate--making it easy to install onto an mITX Motherboard.

erhC9s2l.jpg

Motherboard assembly is complete! It's looking great so far. Take note that although the heatsink fan fits on top of the memory modules, I still moved the 135mm fan 2 heatsink fins above it's original position. Illya will be carried around a lot so I just wanted a little less contact between the two parts.

bvFjArxl.jpg

The PSU is installed! I love the way the carbon fibre mod turned out. It's a subtle upgrade but it gives the interior a touch of sleekness. If you're interested to see how I did this mod, click here.

hzusGRel.jpg

I opted to mount my Boot SSD on the floor under the drive cage. This helps with cable management because the SATA Power Cable will only need to be in one spot. Whereas if I placed the SSD on the side panel, I'll have to manipulate the cable to do some acrobatic flippy stuff. And trust me, it doesn't look as good as it sounds.

I, however, hit a problem with this bottom mount-- the SATA Power cable was too thick--the cable with multiple chaining power sockets. I came up with two solutions to this problem:

GbH4zlAl.jpg

Solution A: I personally went with this one due to stability. It involves using longer screws and placing a small piece of folded paper under the SSD. This gives both the space I need for the connector and the security of using real screws.

puJ7mAxl.jpg

Solution B: A tad less effective but it looks cooler(?) I managed to get this mounted by taking the AMD brackets from my CPU heatsink kit and taping the brackets onto the bottom of the case. My main concern was that overtime the tape would fail.

V8ObJoXl.jpg

Here's a "before cable management" photo. I honestly did not expect it to take 30 minutes to figure out the best way to manage cables! But a few bent wires and a ton of zip ties later, I've managed to at least keep them out of the way. I believe I forgot to take a photo when it was all done! I'll take another photo for the final build update.

iuubtyql.jpg

She's coming together now! I decided to spoil myself a little by purchasing some nice aftermarket 6+2pin PCI-E connectors to go with my MSI 770 GTX. Any ideas on how I should go and showcase these?

xlXrR5el.jpg?1

She posts on the first try! It helps to have a to-do list and check it twice! :P I also had one of Linus' build guides on my laptop as reference--it was really useful when I was unsure how a certain part needed to be installed.

4IVDPtOl.jpg

There you have it! Illya's almost to completion! All there is left to do is find the most stable OC that I can squeeze out of the i5 4670k. After that's done I'll do a final photo shoot showcasing the finished product with the GPU installed and all the LEDs up and running.

A lot of hardwork went into this build, mostly working part time to pay of it. That took a long time and I apologize for the delays in updates.

Feel free to leave comments and suggestions! Thank you all for reading or viewing this update! Have a good one everybody :D

Update #6 [12/27/13] Introducing Illya, the Air Cooled Prodigy!

Update: 12/27/13

Introducing Illya, the Air Cooled Prodigy

Evening LTT! Is everyone ready for the new year to start? Hah, hopefully. Anywho, it took a while but after 3 months I've finally finished Illya. She isn't the fastest nor the flashiest but since I've created and worked to build her, I feel proud. Thanks for the positive responses and suggestions. I'm really happy with how she turned out. So without further adieu, I would like the present my very first PC to the LTT community: Illya, the Air Cooled Prodigy.

As per usual, all photos hyperlink to their original resolution versions.

5wuLl55l.jpg

There she is! I know that due to the popularity of the Prodigy, there are a ton of these builds out there. But my Illya's unique to me. As they say: "there are many like it but this one is mine."

I7c27Yul.jpg

Side panels are off! I've finally installed the muscle of this build, MSI's, Twin Frozr IV GTX 770. And with it she's ready to take on anything I toss at her. So long as it's at 1080p. :P

hhSUyxal.jpg

Up top we can see one of the stock Bitfenix 120mm Spectre fans that came with the case. Right behind it is the centre of Illya's Air Cooling, Be Quiet's Dark Rock 2. I'm surprised by how much it can cool up my OC'ed CPU! Oh those crazy German engineers. Screenshots of temps will be at the end.

zLeSeYcl.jpg

As promised, I've included a photo of the "bad" side of the case. Yes folks, this is my sad attempt at cable managing--oh the horror! At least they're hidden away by that side panel :D

D6Ph1A8l.jpg

I've dimmed the lights a tad to show how the Dark Rock 2 glows red under those Silverstone LEDs! Hopefully the red-ness makes it go faster :D

0Itz9JHl.jpg

Remember that air conditioning filter I've bought to keep my 230mm from taking in dust? I'm happy to report that there is no loss in air intake volume! So if you can, use these things. They're great.

NzKqpnUl.jpg

I'm really not so sure if those cables show up well enough :( But I guess it's better than the default unbraided stock connectors.

AeX7CS4l.jpg

I still love the sleekness that my carbon fibre modded PSU gives. I mean yes it's a small addition, but I think its effective!

e5UwkX0l.jpg?1

Back IO and the general behind of the build. Nothing much to say here actually. :D

T3aAaO2l.jpg

jTnUe3Al.jpg

Back to back photos showcasing how my LEDs shine in the dark. Those red dotted accents on the sides are not intentional at all! I do like them though.

9uOE6S3l.jpg

We've come full circle. Thank you all for following and/or viewing this newbie's first build log. I had a blast while learning a lot! I never expected building your own computer can be this fulfilling. This won't be my last, that's for sure. Maybe I'll get myself a windowed side panel? That's most definitely something I'll think about. Anyways, thanks again peeps.

Ah yes! As promised here are Illya's temps and overclocked screenshots:

JUN3DTW.png

Stock Speeds she runs 31-35c on idle, while she heats up to 52c on full load.

APB4Bg7.png

Illya's i5 CPU isn't the best OC'er, hitting 4.4Ghz with a vCore of 1.29v. Sadly, she also cannot run a 1:1 CPU ring bus without BSODing. So as you can see, the bus speed is at 4200Mhz.

cDl4C6V.png

Here are her 3DMark stats! Is 69th percentile good for my specs? I'm not so sure but maybe I can increase that a little bit more.

And there you guys go! A finished build ready for the new year. May there be more years to come :D Thank you all for viewing my build log. As usual if you have a comment or suggestion, don't hold back! Reply and I'll make sure to read it.

That is it for me, I hope you all have a safe and awesome New Year's celebration! Have a good one everybody!

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

you reposted this 3 times ?

I'm really sorry. My internet spazzed while I was submitting it. I reported my other posts to be deleted. Again sorry for the inconvinience!

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Nice pictures,

I'd get a Samsung 840 instead to match the theme.

I personally like the Msi Gaming 760 more than the Asus for looks but that's all subjective.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm really sorry. My internet spazzed while I was submitting it. I reported my other posts to be deleted. Again sorry for the inconvinience!

The forums died for a minute there, I have a feeling that's what caused your troubles. 

Other than that, I'm loving the build so far. I still want to do an Prodigy build sometime... a man can dream.... :P

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Followed. Prodigy builds are awesome. :D

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

Nice specs :).  Can't wait for more pictures!

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

don't feel bad, it was server sided. Even Linus made a double post lol

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Looks cool

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

Thanks guys! I'm planning on finishing this in the next 4-6 weeks since I have to head back to college in a week. But yes, pictures of parts as they arrive will be posted. I also have a few mods in mind.

Nice pictures,

I'd get a Samsung 840 instead to match the theme.

I personally like the Msi Gaming 760 more than the Asus for looks but that's all subjective.

Woah, you're right about the Samsung 840. I might grab that afterall! MSI's 760 looks cool and I was actually torn between that and ASUS. Ultimately though, I want to take advantage of ASUS's 760 only using one 8pin pcie power connector. That should help with cable management. Believe me I'd go with the MSI if it wasn't for that.

don't feel bad, it was server sided. Even Linus made a double post lol

Oh woah thanks xD I don't feel as bad now.

The forums died for a minute there, I have a feeling that's what caused your troubles. 

Other than that, I'm loving the build so far. I still want to do an Prodigy build sometime... a man can dream.... :P

A man can indeed dream. I'd like to see what you come up with when you build it! Maybe stick a Maximus Impact in there :D

Edited by isHypnophobic

That is gonna be a sweet build when you finish it! That red case looks very nice! Good choice

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

Awesome build!

Maybe go for a gigabyte, MSI or ASUS mobo though. Thats just a preference of mine. I have had major problems with Asrock.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Nice pictures :)

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

nice pics and think the build gona look good )=D. but i would use the top fans as outlets instead of inlets cause hot air rises so better to have a nice front to top flow in the case then forceing the airflow down and out

i7 4790K@4.5GHz-1.15V, BeQuiet! SR2, Asrock z97e-itx/ac, Kingston  Fury 16GB@1866MHz, GTX 670 2GB, 3x ssdNOW300V 300ishGB, Bitfenix Prodigy, OCZ ZT 750W Twittwit@enRodjavel

That Dark Rock 2  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Woah, thanks again so much people for checking out my log!

Awesome build!

Maybe go for a gigabyte, MSI or ASUS mobo though. Thats just a preference of mine. I have had major problems with Asrock.

What problems did you have with ASrock? To be honest Asrock isn't my first choice. ASUS is my second choice but their main boards don't match with my color scheme. And the new Maximus Impact is too pricey x_x  But if you check MSI and Gigabyte's LGA 1150 z87 chipset MoBos, their CPU socket is very close to the PCIE slot. 

gqijB18l.jpg<---Gigabyte         eIvcsn0l.jpg<---MSI

My Dark Rock 2 will block that slot :( But if anyone's thinking of using watercooling, your waterblock will not interfere with the slot so gooo ahead with that.

nice pics and think the build gona look good )=D. but i would use the top fans as outlets instead of inlets cause hot air rises so better to have a nice front to top flow in the case then forceing the airflow down and out

Yeah this is actually a good point. So I'll modify my plans a little bit. Below is a diagram of what I'm planning to do, please let me know if it's good.

PeBYI2dl.jpg

Now, I know what you're thinking, "What, but you still have a top intake!"

But I was thinking, since everything that heats up inside the prodigy is in the rear (the CPU, Motherboard, GPU, and PSU) I can get away with removing the rear top exhaust. It might cause clearance issues for my Dark Rock 2 anyways.

So by removing it, I won't be fighting physics! I'll let hot air naturally move up and/or grabbed by my rear exhaust. I'll also take advantage of more cool fresh air provided by my top front and front intakes! I don't know. What do you you peeps think?

Edited by isHypnophobic

More intakes than exhausts. Filter the intakes, BOOM! Minimal dust build up

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

More intakes than exhausts. Filter the intakes, BOOM! Minimal dust build up

Agreed good sir! This new plan of mine will have 2 intake fans plus the GPU fan grabbing air from the vented side panel versus a single rear exhaust.

This looks quite promising. 

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

Agreed good sir! This new plan of mine will have 2 intake fans plus the GPU fan grabbing air from the vented side panel versus a single rear exhaust.

Perfect

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Update: 9/18/13

Good evening people of LTT. Just logging in an update. The things I have ordered: my PSU (Seasonic G series 550w) and some airconditioning materials have come in!

Pardon my messy work area, I'm currently packing for college. Alright, onwards to photos!

4rm64pZl.jpg

So this came in this morning! I'll be using Seasonic's G series 550w as my PSU while the air conditioner filter will be used to filter the Prodigy's unfiltered intakes--it has two the side and the front panel.

mlAtKE0l.jpg

A quick photo of the G Series out of its box. The unit complies with ATX's standard height and width (3.4" and 5.9" respectively) and most importantly, it fits inside the Prodigy's restrictive PSU cage measuring at 6.29" (160mm). Remember folks that although the Prodigy psu cage is 180mm deep, you need some space for the wires so a depth of 160mm is a must.

dhEKcNEl.jpg

As we take a closer look at the back, we can see the semi-modular set up of the psu. The 24pin and CPU 4+4pin connectors are sleeved but sadly, the colours still shine through. If you want those things to be completely black I would suggest using Vinyl Dye.

keFgaavl.jpg

All the modular cables have the same scheme, no sleeves just black wires on black connectors. Pretty sleek; I wish they did this wiring on the 24 and 4+4 pin cables.

MaN38cVl.jpg

I'll be using 1/4 inch thick Air Conditioning foam filters to solve the Prodigy's lack of filters in its front and side panels.

LKSfUUrl.jpg

For side panel I've sliced out a 11 x 6.25 inch rectangle to cover the ventilation holes. The GPU fans will be sucking in air from here so this should filter out dust. (However in the future I might opt to purchase a windowed side panel.)

aPlgCd3l.jpg

For the front panel, I've made a 9.25 x 8 inch rectangle. This should filter the air that my gigantic 230mm fan takes in. This angle shows that it's misaligned but it fits perfectly, trust me! I'll take another photo to prove it.

3PHjQ4kl.jpg

There we go! You guys can see that it fits perfectly over the ventilation holes.

I have a few questions before I go. How does replacing the vented side panel with a windowed one affect my cooling? As a reminder I have 2 intakes and one exhaust if I don't count the GPU fans.

Second, does anyone have experience using 1/4 inch foam filters? Does it restrict airflow at all?

Alright, so that's it for my update for tonight. I'll be updating more as soon as I can. Thank you guys for checking out my log and have a good one!

Next Update:

Update 12/18/13: MoBo, Fan, Boot SSD, and a simple PSU mod.

sweet build, got myself a prodigy too. Currently modding it to fit a m-atx mobo, you can check it out in case mod subforum if you want. Subbed.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

that looks sweet :D

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.